The Student Room Group

Can you do a Masters after PGCE/PGDE in NQT year / at another uni?

Can you do a Masters after PGCE/PGDE in NQT year?

For those who have completed the PGCE/PGDE do universities allow you to top up your certificate / diploma to a masters during your NQT year.

In addition, if the university where you studied at wants you to complete the NQT year before allowing you to apply to a masters but another university will let you do it in the NQT year is this possible.

If the second, once completed the masters, has you PGCE at X university become replaced by a masters at Y university as the credits were towards it. Or do you retain your PGCE qualification alongside your new Masters qualification even if the PGCE credits went towards a masters at your home / alternative university.

Hope someone could provide some clarity please.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would not recommend completing the follow up masters during your NQT year. I don't think you have fully grasped how challenging this would be and would have to be completed part time and could also mean you having to work part time.

Your situation would also depend on whether you are a PGCE student (typically 60 masters credits) or PGDE (typically 120).
You are more likely to transfer credits if you continue your study at the same institution. However, you are able to transfer the masters credits to another but this is depending on which course you are going to do and you would need to contact the admissions team for that specific institution.

This is something that gets asked a lot in school. I would also recommend getting some actual teaching experience before you go on to complete the masters as it gives you much more to reflect on. Is there a particular reason you need the masters degree?

Maybe your questions could be answered more fully here https://www.ucas.com/continuing-your-studies-qualified-teacher
Original post by PGCEQTS
Can you do a Masters after PGCE/PGDE in NQT year?

For those who have completed the PGCE/PGDE do universities allow you to top up your certificate / diploma to a masters during your NQT year.

In addition, if the university where you studied at wants you to complete the NQT year before allowing you to apply to a masters but another university will let you do it in the NQT year is this possible.

If the second, once completed the masters, has you PGCE at X university become replaced by a masters at Y university as the credits were towards it. Or do you retain your PGCE qualification alongside your new Masters qualification even if the PGCE credits went towards a masters at your home / alternative university.

Hope someone could provide some clarity please.

It's at the unis discretion as to whether they will accept credits from your original uni- they may only accept some of your credits rather than the full 60 credits you did during your PGCE.

AFIAK, you retain the PGCE and get the masters- but this may depend on your exact situation, so probably best to clarify with both unis.

I know that my uni would allow you to start an M.Ed during your NQT year, but only very part time- so the masters would essentially take 3 years to complete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending