I failed to get into apply for Dental School and don't know what to do. Please Help.

Watch this thread
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in a very hard dilemma here. I recently recieved my predicted grades and got a shocking A* BB (coincidentally, both B were one mark off an A but wouldn't be moved up). It would be very stupid to apply to Dental school with such grades, so I'm considering of:
-taking a gap year by working hard towrds my real A-levels and re-applying
- Doing biomedicine then applying as a graduate
-Doing dental hygiene/therapy and applying as a graduate.

I'm just wondering if I would be more succsessful applying as a graduate though biomed or dental hygiene? Of course applying as a gap year student would be Ideal, but If I miss those grades (and with my lack of natural ability, I probably will!) I'm not sure which course would be better for me to take.

If anyone can give any advice if they were in this situation that would be great. I have read online, some dental schools prefer if you apply as a graduate biomed rather than dental hygienist.

Thanks!
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
bump
RedHelenB
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Get the necessary grades and apply next year.
RedHelenB
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Or apply for biomed this year for if you dobt get the dentistry grades do that. If you do withdraw your application and apply next year for dentistry.
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
(Original post by RedHelenB)
Or apply for biomed this year for if you dobt get the dentistry grades do that. If you do withdraw your application and apply next year for dentistry.
So your saying apply to biomed over dental hygiene/therapist?

Is this because biomed will be more favourable to the BDS (Dentistry) course do you think? I don't know whether, if I do go this route, head into biomed or dental hygiene/therapy. Maybe biomed could be better because its a lot more variable and it will allow me into other courses if I change my mind, but I am quite positive Dentistry is the career for me; the balance between surgical-like procedures of the oral cavity/jaw, patient interaction and patient counselling seem so rewarding compared to the lonely life of a GP or the traumatic life of a surgeon.

I think I will apply this year to biomed then if I can get more advice, but in the meanhand, focus more on my A-levels. I might just half-ass my Personal Statment as I'm sure I can hit up biomed via clearing?
RedHelenB
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Some biomed courses like Newcastle will let you transfer to dentistry after 1 year if you average above 70% do your ukcat and undergo an interview. Those courses probably won't be around in clearing.

It seems a bit of a waste from the government finding point of view to do 3 years dht then 4/5 years bds as there will be repetition and they need qualified dental practitioners. Would make me wonder how many go straight in to a bds courseafer dental hygiene.

Just one more thought are you eligible for partners or access to leeds for eg as you can get in with lower grades to these.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads