The_million
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey,
Whats the best way to achieve a level 9 in English GCSE.
Currently at the start of year 11
Nsnsnsnan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just done my GCSEs, I didn't do this but the best way to get a high grade in English Lit is to pick broad quotes and analyse them yourself instead of using online resources because unique responses allow you to access the higher grades. For English language (I did aqa) practice the 40 markers at the end and you can find practice questions online
amyheran
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The_million)
Hey,
Whats the best way to achieve a level 9 in English GCSE.
Currently at the start of year 11
okay so this one is a toughy...

literacy - what i did was thouroughly get to know the entirity of my themes, characters and settings like literally for each one know like 5 small quotes or 3 big quotes for each
AND USE THIS YEAR TO FIND AN ESSAY STRUCTURE THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER TO DO IN THE EXAM THAT WORKS FOR YOU LIKE LITERALLY WRITE OUT THE ORDER IN WHICH UR GONNA WRITE THINGS (eg point then evidence yadda yadda yadda) OUT SO MANY TIMES AND THEN IMPLEMENT INTO PAST PAPER QUESTIONS
language - honestly this one is basically essay structure, essay structure, essay structure!! for the creative, poems and writing to inform/persuade/the other one think of ideas that are out of the box to give u more flare eg for the poetry i managed to get some **** about how the first was happier and childlike compared to the more cold-feeling second poem but what really made my essay was i wrote a **** ton on how the first one used words like we and had a sense of togetherness and familial values and how because of this everything is fun, even shopping but the second only mentioned 'I' insinuating lonlieness and desolation and how maybe the writer has lost someone close making shopping seem like the hardest task in the world

in my gcse mock i got a grade 5, then i actually started to try and really get to know the books and really expand my imagination and pull out the more obscure points and in my actual gcse i got a 9

I BELIEVE IN YOUUUUUUUUUUU
anrat1235
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay so, I always got grade 3's 4s and 5's. I learnt a few phrases and sentence openings by reading model grade 9 answers, I understood grade 9 answers and also tried to be as analytical. Make sure you know your terminology too. Also I recommend on the papers do question 5 first. its 25% of the whole GCSE (this is if your doing AQA). Also try to make your story an extended metaphor. Best advice I can give is watch Mr Salles Teaches English. He's on youtube and so long as you listen to his advice your practically assured grade 7s 8s and 9s. Somehow I got a grade 9 which was way beyond my expectations considering that was all I did not even a week before the exam. Imagine how well you can do from the start of year 11. Also best advice is to chill atm. Just casual revision here and there is okay for the moment. Not worth the stress, I spent my whole GCSE's calm and relaxed- best thing I could've done.
EDIT: Also, Mr salles Teaches English is a literal gem. In my literature GCSE I had only ever read a few literature pieces. Hardly knew any quotes. Had never read the poem that came up on the actual GCSE (do not recommend haha) but thanks to mr salles and his easy structures, I used them in the exam. Ended up with a 7 in lit. Highly recommend, since you have the whole year you could indefinitely get a 9!!!
Last edited by anrat1235; 1 week ago
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Amyheran's advice is really good. For language, think wayy outside the box. Like into the 4th dimension. As long as you can back up what you say with a quote or two, and it makes sense within the context of the piece, it's fine to write. That shows that you've apprehended the piece to a really high level.

(I got a 9 in both Lit and Lang, if it really matters. I got a 6 and a 7 in my mocks)
anrat1235
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agreed, but not everyone has that type of creativity. It's also helpful to look at model answers to gain understanding of what they consider '4th dimension'
(Original post by hoixw)
Amyheran's advice is really good. For language, think wayy outside the box. Like into the 4th dimension. As long as you can back up what you say with a quote or two, and it makes sense within the context of the piece, it's fine to write. That shows that you've apprehended the piece to a really high level.

(I got a 9 in both Lit and Lang, if it really matters. I got a 6 and a 7 in my mocks)
lhabgabdgbfa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nil English language is an easy gcse if you read books frequently and if you know basic English devices like verbs, adjectives etc. I read a few example answers like a month before the exams and tried a bit go questions. However, if creative writing doesn't come naturally, try making a flexible plan that you can adapt to lots of different titles. I got my 9 that way: by reading example answers and trying a dew questions until I got my exam technique right.
GCSE_mocks_help
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi guys Ive just seen this post. English lit is not one of the hardest subjects to get a 9 in actually. I know it seems like what am I talking about by that a 9 is so hard to get but I was in the lowest set and first expected a 4/5 and I ended up getting a 9. I would recommend doing a lot of past papers looking at model responses buy all the revision guides you can and actually READ THEM and also be interested in what your reading and research things related to them. Best of luck.

If you need any help with Maths this resource is really good and I was able to get full marks in my exam.
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...ponse-12180433
Last edited by GCSE_mocks_help; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads