The Student Room Group

I got my remark back for gcse

so I got my remark back today for biology. I had 153 marks and a grade 8 and needed 157, it went up by 10 marks to 163 and I got my grade 9. I'm a bit shocked tbh, examiners are so careless. It annoys me to think that there's probably someone out there who got a wrong grade but isn't aware. Furthermore, biology is a science subjects so there shouldn't be any excuse to give a person the wrong grade for biology,chem,phycis or maths cuz the answers are usually right or wrong.

Just wanted to share this ( not bragging lol) incase anyone is thinking about remarking.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lhabgabdgbfa
so I got my remark back today for biology. I had 153 marks and a grade 8 and needed 157, it went up by 10 marks to 163 and I got my grade 9. I'm a bit shocked tbh, examiners are so careless. It annoys me to think that there's probably someone out there who got a wrong grade but isn't aware. Furthermore, biology is a science subjects so there shouldn't be any excuse to give a person the wrong grade for biology,chem,phycis or maths cuz the answers are usually right or wrong.

Just wanted to share this ( not bragging lol) incase anyone is thinking about remarking.

Wow! Well done :h: My English Lit is being remarked, but it hasn't come back yet. Fingers crossed. :biggrin:
Original post by BlossomSugar
Wow! Well done :h: My English Lit is being remarked, but it hasn't come back yet. Fingers crossed. :biggrin:

good luck :smile:. were you close to the ext grade?

That's amazing well done, I CANT BELIEVE THOSE EXAMINERS THOUGH.
Original post by Zoe.agbana
That's amazing well done, I CANT BELIEVE THOSE EXAMINERS THOUGH.

thanks, the examiners are blind lol.
Pretty appalling. The majority of remarks are unsuccessful (no change at all. Unfortunately people only tend to post about successful remarks on here so might give the wrong idea. The boards tend to brag about this statistic.) - but you do see significant changes occasionally.
good luck :smile:. were you close to the ext grade?

Thank you :h: I got a 3, a few marks off a 4. But I was supposed to get a 6, so the school sent it back in for remarking. They had to do it with a lot of English papers from my school apparently.
Original post by _gcx
Pretty appalling. The majority of remarks are unsuccessful (no change at all. Unfortunately people only tend to post about successful remarks on here so might give the wrong idea. The boards tend to brag about this statistic.) - but you do see significant changes occasionally.

true, I understand a gain (or loss) of around 2 marks, but 10 marks, especially in biology, isn't right. Maybe exam boards should get examiners to mark their exams in this special room where they can be monitored or ask for help if they need it
Thank you :h: I got a 3, a few marks off a 4. But I was supposed to get a 6, so the school sent it back in for remarking. They had to do it with a lot of English papers from my school apparently.

yea, I heard lots of people in my school complaining about their English grades
yea, I heard lots of people in my school complaining about their English grades

Ikr, it's terrible
Ikr, it's terrible

Do you think If I got my history paper remarked I could get a better grade? I was one mark off an 8.
Original post by Forevermeeee
Do you think If I got my history paper remarked I could get a better grade? I was one mark off an 8.

definitely get s remark, some questions like 20/16/12/8 markers are kinda subjective so there's a good chance imo that you go up.
Original post by Forevermeeee

It could go either way. If the grade boundaries were high, then you have a high chance of not going down the boundaries and it then wouldn't matter if you didn't go up. Whereas if the boundaries were low, then you could go either up a level or down. Personally, I'd probably get it remarked if it was mine anyway, but it's up to you. :h:
true, I understand a gain (or loss) of around 2 marks, but 10 marks, especially in biology, isn't right. Maybe exam boards should get examiners to mark their exams in this special room where they can be monitored or ask for help if they need it

This is already basically done virtually. There are systems where the performance of examiners is monitored, (there are non-candidate responses put between the candidate ones and if they mark these outside a given tolerance they are stopped) and they can send scripts to review and so on. How occasional gross inaccuracies occur despite this, no clue.
Original post by _gcx
This is already basically done virtually. There are systems where the performance of examiners is monitored, (there are non-candidate responses put between the candidate ones and if they mark these outside a given tolerance they are stopped) and they can send scripts to review and so on. How occasional gross inaccuracies occur despite this, no clue.

maybe, still unfortunate
Reply 15
Sad to think that examiners can’t mark properly and they basically have our futures in their hands
Original post by m_j_
Sad to think that examiners can’t mark properly and they basically have our futures in their hands

100% agree
Reply 17
100% agree

Tbh id send an email to the exam board telling them to fix up
Original post by m_j_
Tbh id send an email to the exam board telling them to fix up

that's a bit extra lol
Reply 19
so I got my remark back today for biology. I had 153 marks and a grade 8 and needed 157, it went up by 10 marks to 163 and I got my grade 9. I'm a bit shocked tbh, examiners are so careless. It annoys me to think that there's probably someone out there who got a wrong grade but isn't aware. Furthermore, biology is a science subjects so there shouldn't be any excuse to give a person the wrong grade for biology,chem,phycis or maths cuz the answers are usually right or wrong. Wow

Wow that’s great. What exam board where you?

Quick Reply

Latest