Do people bully new drivers on the road more if you have L or P plates?

Watch
curious312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I was speaking to my cousin and she told me that I should just leave sticking on the plates because people tend to speed up right behind you and honk and just overall bully new drivers? Is this true? I am a new driver but I still use the L plates because my parking etc is not up to scratch and using the P plates would be embarrassing
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by curious312)
So I was speaking to my cousin and she told me that I should just leave sticking on the plates because people tend to speed up right behind you and honk and just overall bully new drivers? Is this true? I am a new driver but I still use the L plates because my parking etc is not up to scratch and using the P plates would be embarrassing
This makes no sense about the L plates and P plates. By being a new driver, do you mean you’ve passed? Then you should be using p plates not L even if your parking isn’t good. And if you’re learning then yea use L plates. But i do think you get treated differently as a P plate user (not sure with L as I learnt with an instructor only so they had some respect for the instructor). I once was struggling with parking after REALLLYY recently passing and after I parked, this women came out her car and said, “wow you shouldn’t have been allowed to pass”. Omg there was steam coming out my ears at this point. I go so annoyed but she didn’t even have the audacity to stay, she just ran away after saying that. The parking wasn’t even that bad! So I just took it off after 6 months or not even that. Since then, my parallel parking is still not top notch and when I park, it takes me 2 tries sometimes but no one says anything now.
curious312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Random_Student)
This makes no sense about the L plates and P plates. By being a new driver, do you mean you’ve passed? Then you should be using p plates not L even if your parking isn’t good. And if you’re learning then yea use L plates. But i do think you get treated differently as a P plate user (not sure with L as I learnt with an instructor only so they had some respect for the instructor). I once was struggling with parking after REALLLYY recently passing and after I parked, this women came out her car and said, “wow you shouldn’t have been allowed to pass”. Omg there was steam coming out my ears at this point. I go so annoyed but she didn’t even have the audacity to stay, she just ran away after saying that. The parking wasn’t even that bad! So I just took it off after 6 months or not even that. Since then, my parallel parking is still not top notch and when I park, it takes me 2 tries sometimes but no one says anything now.
omg that's horrible I would have started crying. I don't understand why drivers lack sympathy like mf were you not a new driver once tf lmao and I mean I have passed my driving months ago and its my first time actually on the road since passing
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
omg that's horrible I would have started crying. I don't understand why drivers lack sympathy like mf were you not a new driver once tf lmao and I mean I have passed my driving months ago and its my first time actually on the road since passing
Ikr! I nearly did but I was driving back home. Can’t be driving with tears blinding my eyes can we? 😂 you’ll be fine tho! Don’t let them worry you cause that’ll effect your driving. I’d have P plates for maybe the first few weeks minimum if you’re driving a lot and frequently or if not, then minimum a good old few months. Then see how it goes
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes, it is a commonly known part of driving that those with P plates are often bullied. To many, myself included, a driver with P plates is so unconfident on the roads that they probably shouldn't have passed in the first place.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you're still learning, you have to use L plates (iirc). I haven't actually started learning to drive yet, but P plates certainly seem to attract negative attention and make some other drivers more likely to nitpick your driving.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I haven't bothered with P plates. People were bad enough for aggressive manouvers and not letting you out with L plates, which given that's a very new driver who may not be able to respond fast is pretty cavalier. I couldn't care either way about P plates as I'm also a new driver and understand being nervous but I definitely think other drivers will see them and just want to get away from you asap.
swaters6761
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Crazy, i didnt know that
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
L plates I think are different, they're legally required for a start until you pass...and the implication is there is an experienced driver in the vehicle... (also a chance it's someone doing their test, so i'll generally be extra patient)...P Plates? Just means you have no confidence in your driving, so i'll take that warning on board, assume you can't drive well and try to keep away from you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads