The Student Room Group

Signed up for Masters but changed mind

Hi, not sure how much of an answer I'll get here but I might as well give it a go.

I've just finished my first year as a Chemical Engineering undergraduate. When I started the course, I signed up to do the full five years, including a year in industry and a year at the end to complete a Master's qualification.

However, since then I've realised that I might want to do the Master's elsewhere. Does anyone have any similar experiences that they could share with me? Generally how easy is it to pull out of a Master's degree at this point? And am I right in thinking that you would usually apply for a Master's separately using UCAS?

I'm reluctant to talk to my tutor about this right now because I'm not sure it would reflect very well on me...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Original post by pingu_
Hi, not sure how much of an answer I'll get here but I might as well give it a go.

I've just finished my first year as a Chemical Engineering undergraduate. When I started the course, I signed up to do the full five years, including a year in industry and a year at the end to complete a Master's qualification.

However, since then I've realised that I might want to do the Master's elsewhere. Does anyone have any similar experiences that they could share with me? Generally how easy is it to pull out of a Master's degree at this point? And am I right in thinking that you would usually apply for a Master's separately using UCAS?

I'm reluctant to talk to my tutor about this right now because I'm not sure it would reflect very well on me...

Thanks!

It's generally no problem at all, easier to from down to a BSc than move up to the MSci or whatever. However, do it as late as possible, in case you have a change of heart. It may feel certain now, but you can't easily reverse engineer it if you change your mind later.

PG courses do not have a UCAS equivalent, you have to apply separately to each university that interests you. You generally do that at the start of your final academic year of undergrad.

You should also consider the funding opportunities. They are generally better and easier if you stick with the undergrad Masters you are on now.
Original post by pingu_

Thanks!

It doesn't matter at your stage whether you are signed up for bachelors or masters, other than perhaps for funding arrangements. It's typically at the end of second year when the university decides who is eligible, based on grades obtained so far at university, to complete the full masters. So it'd be very easy to change to the BEng - however, as threeportdrift says, don't be too hasty about it in case you change your mind later, as it can be more difficult to sort out the funding for moving from bachelors to masters. Confirm with your department about when the course splits between BEng and MEng, as that'd probably be the best point to make the decision (and it doesn't look bad to ask - it's a completely valid question).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending