The Student Room Group

Changing my mind about uni? Having doubts?

Hey! Im in desperate need of help. Im applying for a computer science course at uni. I originally had my heart set on staying in a london uni, City University London in particular. I had a break down when i didn't meet the requirements and didn't get in through clearing. I think out of a very rushed and emotional decision i applied for anywhere else i could think of that would take me and got a place at Southbank. However now I'm doubting it because i havent ever gone to an open day, and Ive been told the area isn't too great. I'm also doubting the idea of staying in london, and I'm warming to the idea of going to Kent Uni, but again not sure if its too late. Is it too late? I would also need accommodation.
If you need accommodation it might be a bit late. However, if you look around you might be able to find students who have spare rooms available. It might even be worth taking a gap year to decide what you want. Maybe getting a part time job and doing some work experience? Or even travelling? Think about it.
Reply 2
From personal experience, Is university better in accommodation? i feel like i would get a better experience however i know it'll be a lot of extra added debt. And the idea of me going to uni and not going to accommodation makes me feel like ill make less friends and miss out on all the fun, parties etc and social life?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! Im in desperate need of help. Im applying for a computer science course at uni. I originally had my heart set on staying in a london uni, City University London in particular. I had a break down when i didn't meet the requirements and didn't get in through clearing. I think out of a very rushed and emotional decision i applied for anywhere else i could think of that would take me and got a place at Southbank. However now I'm doubting it because i havent ever gone to an open day, and Ive been told the area isn't too great. I'm also doubting the idea of staying in london, and I'm warming to the idea of going to Kent Uni, but again not sure if its too late. Is it too late? I would also need accommodation.

Hi there!
I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get into the university that you'd set your heart on :frown:
If you are still interested in applying to the University of Kent though then it's definitely not too late! There are still vacancies through clearing for their BSc Computer Science course as well as some of their other computer science courses (such as their one with artificial intelligence and one with networks). I'll leave the link to the clearing vacancy page here so you can check it out :smile:
Unfortunately, from what I have heard, on-campus accommodation at Kent is now full for September 2020. However, there are plenty of other accommodation options and often, students who were not able to get on-campus accommodation in their first year at Kent are guaranteed it in their second year.
With quite a few students at Kent in the same boat with having to find off-campus accommodation you certainly won't be alone. There are several private student halls in Canterbury such as Parham Student Village, Canterbury Student Manor, and Palamon Court. It is quite likely that you will be with other first year students from the University of Kent as well as some from the other two universities in Canterbury. Personally, I think that if you were to apply to Kent then private halls could be the best and maybe even easiest option, as you will be put into a flat with other students in the same position and the accommodation will be laid out very much like that on campus, so it is still very social :smile:
If you have any questions about life at Kent or accommodation at all, then please feel free to ask :biggrin: I hope that this helps, and puts your mind at ease a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending