Is this a bit socially inappropriate/over familiar for a colleague? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Im described as quite naive socially and don't have great social skills (bit like Aspergers maybe) so I'm always questioning what is socially appropriate and what isn't.

Im female and have a male colleague at work (only see him once a week as only work there once a week. I can have a laugh with him etc he talks to me and tries to help with several things but because I've not got the gift of the gab etc he would rather bater with others. He is very confident/popular and has great banter skills and I'm the complete opposite. Anyway he is running a marathon in 2 weeks as one of his bf's relative passed away. I told him to send me the link and id sponsor him, I asked 3 times over 3 weeks as he kept not sending it.
Ive clicked on it though and theres only 18 people sponsoring him and it looks like its mainly his family and a few friends but I don't know its hard to tell. No other of my colleagues who he is closer to seem to be sponsoring him. Am I doing something a bit overfamiliar/that colleagues don't tend to do?
yzanne
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, I think your doing a lovely thing. There is no limit as to who can donate for charity - giving money will just show your support for him which is a good idea, especially if you usually have trouble expressing these kinds of things. :yep:

Ask him to send it to you straight away 'before you forget' or something. If he doesn't do it and seems uncomfortable by the idea, drop it. I doubt he would though?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by yzanne)
No, I think your doing a lovely thing. There is no limit as to who can donate for charity - giving money will just show your support for him which is a good idea, especially if you usually have trouble expressing these kinds of things. :yep:

Ask him to send it to you straight away 'before you forget' or something. If he doesn't do it and seems uncomfortable by the idea, drop it. I doubt he would though?
ok thanks
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, that sounds completely normal, it's a lovely gesture
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
No, that sounds completely normal, it's a lovely gesture
\Yea but no other colleagues have and I'm the most distant by far
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People tend to be careful about this stuff at work as they're aware that you don't know the guy this is for and you might not want to give... and it's hard to say at work. So that's why you're the only one. It's no bad thing at all. It's a really lovely offer. May be ask one more time but then let it go, itll only be weird if you keep pushing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads