username6509
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey , I've just started my coursework and the book that I'm doing is the great gatsby but I'm not sure whether to compare it to the bell jar ,the collector or the picture of dorian grey as I'm a indecisive person. I just want to know which book is the best book to compare it to as well as the themes that I could do when coming to do the question .
Shiro_A
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This isn't one of your suggestions but I heard the book Atonement is a good one for The Great Gatsby??
clockwork30
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Another good comparator is 'The Age of innocence' by Edith Wharton. When I did my A Level in 2018, it was compulsory for us to compare Gatsby to the Age of innocence. Im not sure about your exam board. Which exam board do you do? I could have a look and let you know which is the best to compare in terms of themes/characters.
xS1m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username6509)
Hey , I've just started my coursework and the book that I'm doing is the great gatsby but I'm not sure whether to compare it to the bell jar ,the collector or the picture of dorian grey as I'm a indecisive person. I just want to know which book is the best book to compare it to as well as the themes that I could do when coming to do the question .
Omg I’m in Year 13 and I’m doing The Great Gatsby too and I’ve decided to compare it to The Picture of Dorian Gray - it’s such an amazing novel!! My favourite novel of all time.

A lot of ppl in my class have decided to compare it to “Death of a Salesman” and “The Kite Runner”. One even compared it to “Wuthering Heights”
username6509
Rep:
?
(Original post by clockwork30)
Another good comparator is 'The Age of innocence' by Edith Wharton. When I did my A Level in 2018, it was compulsory for us to compare Gatsby to the Age of innocence. Im not sure about your exam board. Which exam board do you do? I could have a look and let you know which is the best to compare in terms of themes/characters.
The exam board I'm doing is edexcel .
clockwork30
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username6509)
The exam board I'm doing is edexcel .
IF you were comparing Gatsby to Dorian Gray
- Both share themes of morality, innocence and social appearances

Also, comparing it to Wuthering Heights is a good idea.

Those would be my top 2
username6509
Rep:
?
(Original post by clockwork30)
IF you were comparing Gatsby to Dorian Gray
- Both share themes of morality, innocence and social appearances

Also, comparing it to Wuthering Heights is a good idea.

Those would be my top 2
Thank you yh I was thinking about doing dorian grey but I wasn't really sure about the themes .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads