How do most people afford stuff? Watch

mozzarella
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is not a rant, I'm genuinely curious.

So I'm working full time in a decent graduate job. My salary isn't great, but it's not bad either.
A large proportion of my salary is taxed and after that I need to pay council tax too which is another one and a half grand knocked off.
I live in a one bed flat so I have to pay my rent and my bills by myself which is over a third of my salary after tax. People tell me that I should share to save money, but I've done that before and I can't share with anyone. I just feel if I'm working so hard I deserve my own place.
I also have other necessities to pay for, food is very expensive especially as I eat healthy food and not rubbish. I have to pay for my mobile contract, contact lenses, clothes, public transport and I'm working on getting a car. A car will be even more damaging for my savings as I need to consider the price of the car, insurance and petrol costs. I have many more responsibilities to pay for, and after those I am a human being so sometimes I just want to spend to enjoy. Like get a coffee once a week.

I am literally saving just £20 a month right now. Personally, I don't think money is everything, but for all my hard work it would be nice to have some savings so I can save up for a deposit on a house and settle down one day(I think kids are out of the question right now).

How do other people do it? Do they all still live with their parents until they're 30? Also another thing, I don't give to charity as most of my council tax already goes on that.
Last edited by mozzarella; 1 week ago
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mozzarella)

So I'm working full time in a decent graduate job. My salary isn't great, but it's not bad either.
A large proportion of my salary is taxed and after that I need to pay council tax too which is another one and a half grand knocked off.
I live in a one bed flat so I have to pay my rent and my bills by myself which is over a third of my salary after tax. People tell me that I should share to save money, but I've done that before and I can't share with anyone. I just feel if I'm working so hard I deserve my own place.
I also have other necessities to pay for, food is very expensive especially as I eat healthy food and not rubbish. I have to pay for my mobile contract, contact lenses, clothes, public transport and I'm working on getting a car. A car will be even more damaging for my savings as I need to consider the price of the car, insurance and petrol costs. I have many more responsibilities to pay for, and after those I am a human being so sometimes I just want to spend to enjoy. Like get a coffee once a week.

I am literally saving just £20 a month right now. Personally, I don't think money is everything, but for all my hard work it would be nice to have some savings so I can save up for a deposit on a house and settle down one day(I think kids are out of the question right now).

How do other people do it? Do they all still live with their parents until they're 30? Also another thing, I don't give to charity as most of my council tax already goes on that.
Try to get a mortgage, even on a rental property ( ie rent it out to tenants but don't live in it), acquire loads of properties and live in a property on your own, I wouldn't recommend house hacking...
Artistics
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live in a country where they give you money just to study...
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

If you want to buy luxuries, you need to make sacrifices. That's what 99% of people do.

And no, "healthy food" is not very expensive if you use your brain to get it.

Do you need a car? If it's going to dent your finances that much, is it necessary?
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

The largest expense for most people is rent. I know some people who lived with their parents while working to save up money for a deposit on a house. Alternatively find some roommates, as living with others drastically reduces your costs.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Write down everything you spend and see where you can make cuts. For a start, a mobile contract is probably not a necessity. Can you not just go PAYG? With everyone on apps like Whatsapp now and cheap landline deals on anytime calls (assuming you have a landline and broadband), you could just have credit on your phone for when you need to make phonecalls when you're out of the house.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Artistics)
I live in a country where they give you money just to study...
This. I live in a country where I get paid to go to both high school and university. I also live in a country where I'm 18 and make £3,000 more a year than an average British graduate does working as a barista, but many people at my job feel the pay we get if we work weekends (which is just £13/hour) is too bad and leave for retail, which pays about £22.5/hourly on weekends.

I'm done flexing I think, but you sound clueless and middle class. Welcome to the real world. You're not a child anymore and mummy and daddy are not here to save you or pay for your private tuition fees. You are not entitled to your own place and you are not entitled to shop at Whole Foods or Waitrose because a) this is 2019, not 1968, b) we have a looming recession over us, c) everybody has a degree and most are in a 'decent graduate job'. This does not make you special and societal costs have adapted as a result. You should flat share, shop at Lidl and move out of London (or if you do not live in London, move to a cheaper city).
Last edited by angelinahx; 1 week ago
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ebam_uk)
Try to get a mortgage, even on a rental property ( ie rent it out to tenants but don't live in it), acquire loads of properties and live in a property on your own, I wouldn't recommend house hacking...
Totally unrealistic option. If you don't have some considerable capital as backup, which it doesn't sound like OP has considering they can't even afford a car at the moment.

If your tenants don't pay their rent, you've still gotta pay your mortgage. If a tenant moves out and you don't get another person in, you've again still got a mortgage to pay. If they move out and haven't looked after the property very well then you may need to pay out for renovations - in fact, if they're renting off you then it's your responsibility to cover repairs and maintenance to the property, and if you're using their rent to pay for the mortgage then obviously that can't be used for repairs.

Mortgaging and renting out properties is just like any other business, you need bankroll in the first place to make it work.
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It is common for people to share accommodation as you split the bills (or some house-shares will have bills included), saving money. You say it isn't for you - but it wouldn't be forever. It would just help you to save money so in the future you are in a stronger financial position to buy your own place. Another way is to stay at home with parents if this is an option.

With food, it is possible to buy ingredients cheaper and cook from scratch healthy meals. Look at supermarket basics or frozen items, going to LIDL/ALDI - this can make your money stretch further. How much are you currently spending on food and where do you shop?

Is a car necessary at the moment? If you live in the city where you have good public transport links, this could be a better option rather than buying a car, spending money on insurance and maintenance, plus fuel.
jc933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
This. I live in a country where I get paid to go to both high school and university. I also live in a country where I'm 18 and make £3,000 more a year than an average British graduate does working as a barista, but many people at my job feel the pay we get if we work weekends (which is just £13/hour) is too bad and leave for retail, which pays about £22.5/hourly on weekends.

I'm done flexing I think, but you sound clueless and white. Welcome to the real world. You're not a child anymore and mummy and daddy are not here to save you or pay for your private tuition fees. You are not entitled to your own place and you are not entitled to shop at Whole Foods or Waitrose because a) this is 2019, not 1968, b) we have a looming recession over us, c) everybody has a degree and most are in a 'decent graduate job'. This does not make you special and societal costs have adapted as a result. You should flat share, shop at Lidl and move out of London (or if you do not live in London, move to a cheaper city).
I take your point however I would like to point out the "clueless and white". That occurs before the continuing stereotyping of this person. Was unnecessary and rude.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jc933)
I take your point however I would like to point out the "clueless and white". That occurs before the continuing stereotyping of this person. Was unnecessary and rude.
"People tell me that I should share to save money, but I've done that before and I can't share with anyone. I just feel if I'm working so hard I deserve my own place. I also have other necessities to pay for, food is very expensive especially as I eat healthy food and not rubbish."

Call it intuition, but this person has never financially struggled in his/her life before (I've lived in London and met plenty of these people) was raised middle class, and now runs to The Student Room for help as it turns out that getting A*AA at A-level does not mean you don't have to pay bills.
Artistics
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The thing is, I dont even work. I get paid by the government to study, and most people where I live rely on that money and they can actually survive on it. Most people live at home, and some don't. And yes, I do live with my parents since I'm a student and I will continue doing so until I know I can afford to move out. And you know how I can afford to by stuff you cant? I dont waste my money.

First off, if you cant live in a flat then dont. Dont buy stuff you dont need, and get a better job. I don't even own a car (I take my bike to uni) because I cant really afford it. Take the bus. People today are just making their lives hard for themselves. Stop complaining and do something about your situation.

I'm studying something that'll grant me **** ton of money on the future, so living like a modest humble person right now is not bothering me at all.
jc933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
"People tell me that I should share to save money, but I've done that before and I can't share with anyone. I just feel if I'm working so hard I deserve my own place. I also have other necessities to pay for, food is very expensive especially as I eat healthy food and not rubbish."

Call it intuition, but this person has never financially struggled in his/her life before (I've lived in London and met plenty of these people) was raised middle class, and now retorts to The Student Room as it turns out that getting A*AA at A-level does not mean you don't have to pay bills.
You could be spot on. But you dont know that. Okay let me clarify. Whats that got to do with being "white".
jc933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Call it intuition, but this person has never financially struggled in his/her life before (I've lived in London and met plenty of these people) was raised middle class, and now runs to The Student Room for help as it turns out that getting A*AA at A-level does not mean you don't have to pay bills.
You said she sounds "clueless and white". If I said someone was "clueless and black", that wouldn't be acceptable and stereotyping. Please do not do the converse
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jc933)
You could be spot on. But you dont know that. Okay let me clarify. Whats that got to do with being "white".
Changed it to middle class because class is more central in the UK in general than race. Point still stands.
Stefanidi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Changed it to middle class because class is more central in the UK in general than race. Point still stands.
Maybe her family used to be part of the gentry and she feels this has been taken away from her. It's saddening that the ruling class can't even afford a car due to the welfare state sucking them dry
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

How much are you spending on clothes transport etc? Where are you getting your food from?
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If your food is VERY EXPENSIVE rather than sort of 'average' to cheap then chances are you could very easily cut the bill down. Probably worth a bit of an analysis.

Could also consider:
-Scoping out jobs in areas that are cheaper to live in
-General totting up of all expenses and working out if there's stuff you definitely don't need
-if you've got a working bf/gf, moving in together and splitting rent leaves you both with more money
-deciding if you really need a car, cause it certainly sounds like you can't afford to run one at the moment.
-seeing about cheaper phone arrangements: cheaper contracts, switching to pay as you go etc. etc.

People afford things by having more money, and there's a whole array of reasons why this might be the case but for most of us basic working bois it's gonna be a case of making sacrifices to cut costs.
jc933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thankyou. No need to bring race into this.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

You've given no figures, nor said where you live.

I was in the same situation, except lived in a house by myself not a flat, but I could easily save £500/month.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (213)
23.67%
Pop (222)
24.67%
Jazz (33)