Ikeo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sorry I made this thread accidentally so I might as well go along with it, what is your opinion and perception of autism?

In society today I believe that there is still a stigma surrounding autism which affects those who have it, thus the question above is to find out what your take on it is
Last edited by Ikeo; 4 weeks ago
BlossomSugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is a very good question. It's kind of hard to define it cause there are lots of different traits and aspects of it.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlossomSugar)
That is a very good question. It's kind of hard to define it cause there are lots of different traits and aspects of it.
How do you distinguish traits which anyone could have, which just so happen to be common in autistics, to just being non-autistic though?
Last edited by centraltrains; 4 weeks ago
BlossomSugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
How do you disgusting traits which anyone could have, which just so happen to be common in autistics, to just being non-autistic though?
Um... idk. I'm not a professional I do know however that some "autistic traits" are similar to those of attachment disorder.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ikeo)
Sorry I made this thread accidentally so I might as well go along with it, what is your opinion and perception of autism?

In society today I believe that there is still a stigma surrounding autism which affects those who have it, thus the question above is to find out what your take on it is
As autism is a spectrum (like many conditions), it is difficult to have one single perception of how autism presents itself in an individual.
CCauston113
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As the person above stated, autism is a spectrum. That means most people will be somewhere on it, and have some of the traits but either not enough or not specific ones which means they aren't really affected.
Other people have high-functioning autism. This normally means they struggle with social interaction and may have the obsessive trait, but they are still a pretty normal person. Asperger's is closely related to this.
Girls also normally get diagnosed at an older age, because when younger they are better at fitting in normally but as they get older the traits become more prominent. Girls are also diagnosed with Asperger's more than with Autism Spectrum Disorder, because it's mainly the social interaction that they can't hide - they're better at disguising their obsession, overstimulation etc.,
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tenya Iida :ninja:
z.13_ZH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ikeo)

The main thing I always realise with people who have hidden disabilities/health issue etc. is that people often don't believe them. This is usually because they think if you can't see it it isn't there.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Urban Dictionary's top definition:

Autism - A condition no one actually understands.

People treat people with autism like sh*t and get away with it.
Last edited by Jang Gwangnam; 3 weeks ago
z.13_ZH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
Urban Dictionary's top defnition:

Autism - A condition no one actually understands.

People treat people with autism like sh*t and get away with it.
Yes, my sister has low-functioning autism. Literally everyone treats her as if she is just dumb, but that's not the case at all.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
autism is a spectrum. i recommend not using functioning labels and i find them redundant. we just all have different traits.

as someone who had the diagnosis, stop using 'aspergers' all together. its a redundant diagnosis, and its named after a nazi who wanted to euthanise any autistic children who werent 'high functioning'
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tenya Iida)
autism is a spectrum. i recommend not using functioning labels and i find them redundant. we just all have different traits.

as someone who had the diagnosis, stop using 'aspergers' all together. its a redundant diagnosis, and its named after a nazi who wanted to euthanise any autistic children who werent 'high functioning'
Yikes is there a new name or something coz that's on my personal statement :ninja:
Tenya Iida
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Yikes is there a new name or something coz that's on my personal statement :ninja:
id say just say 'autistic' since its a spectrum, we all fit under that that.
Ikeo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tenya Iida)
id say just say 'autistic' since its a spectrum, we all fit under that that.
I would probably say autism spectrum disorder instead because of it being the new term for aspergers, although I do say aspergers in generality because of it having less stigma than autism in my opinion
Tenya Iida
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ikeo)
I would probably say autism spectrum disorder instead because of it being the new term for aspergers, although I do say aspergers in generality because of it having less stigma than autism in my opinion
yeah. i say 'autism' or 'asd' mostly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed