Summer prep for dissertation? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm going to be doing my Ancient History dissertation this year, starting back at uni in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, although I'd planned to get lots of reading done this summer, I've had a lot of personal stuff going on, so it's been very difficult to do so. Plus, we weren't given much information about the dissertation at the end of the year, and were only told who our supervisors were mid-August. I've emailed mine, but she is yet to get back to me, which I understand since it is summer.

Anyway, my basic wondering is whether I'll be alright not doing a great deal of work before uni starts? I'm hoping to read some articles I've downloaded (26 in total, not too bad for the time), but it's a little less than I'd hoped to get done.

I was also wondering, how do you separate your time during term so you aren't focusing solely on the dissertation? I'm worried I'll be so stressed about that, I'll forget about assignments for other modules, and leave them to the last minute. How did you manage it?

Finally, any tips on how to cope with it in general? Any advice is appreciated
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most supervisors won't expect you to do anything before you meet them, the occasional one will expect you to have done some light reading to get a vague idea about the topic but not necessarily what you're going to do. You'll be fine.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Most supervisors won't expect you to do anything before you meet them, the occasional one will expect you to have done some light reading to get a vague idea about the topic but not necessarily what you're going to do. You'll be fine.
Okay, that's reassuring to know 😅 Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?