The Student Room Group

My A-Levels are good but my GCSE’s are terrible. Is it worth applying to RG’s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
GCSEs only make up about 10% of an application. Please do apply to some RGs - unis love nothing more than progress, and they will take the fact that you went to a crap secondary school into consideration. I'd make sure you put how bad your school was as an extenuating circumstance though, detailing how you did triple science in lunches, bad teachers etc.
Reply 21
Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly
That’s so good! I was thinking of applying to Royal but I can’t afford london :/

You do get a much larger loan when you apply to a uni in london, so you should be fine. A lot of them (like imperial) have huge bursaries too, even bigger than Oxbridge.
I’ll think about it haha. Not super sure on what to replace it with but I’m feeling a hit kore confident now to try apply to higher uni’s.

You have GREAT A levels predictions. Seriously you can walk into most courses!
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ll think about it haha. Not super sure on what to replace it with but I’m feeling a hit kore confident now to try apply to higher uni’s.

Replace it with an RG/good non-RG that you like the look of. :smile:
Well here’s the story: I went to a terrible school, when I mean terrible mean being in a school that was ranked 200+ in a list of 212 schools (I believe). I did Triple science not as a lesson but during my lunchtimes and all my other subjects were with teachers who sucked the excitement and enjoyment out of the subject. With my own fault aswell I came out with 1B 7C’s 4D’s and 1E. The was in English Lit, and I got C’s in Maths and Numeracy. I got the **** out there as soon as I got the chance and basically begged to join another schools sixth form. I did Maths English Lit and Psych with Welsh Bac.

It was at the second school I began to really do well, my teachers actually liked teaching and I wasn’t in a school environment where I didn’t have to worry about being having to fight anyone. I kept my head in a book all year and come results day I got: ABB. Significant improvement considering there were kids in my class who got A* at GCSE getting U’s and E’s in Maths.

So now here I am. I crushed Welsh Bac and am projected to an A*. I’m predicted A* in Psychology as I got close to perfect UMS and I’m predicted a B in Maths and English respectively.

I want the best for myself (obviously) and with those grades I can apply to some pretty good universities but my school always says RG’s really value good GCSE’s and if we’re being honest in comparison to everyone in my year GCSE’s are utter ****e. Is it even worth applying. For reference I was wanting to apply to Southampton, Warwick, UEA/Swansea, Bangor and Aberystwyth to study Psychology.

Is it even worth applying even if I have A*A*AB-A*A*BB?

Hi. I’m off to Swansea to do psychology :biggrin: I have 6 GCSE’s AABBBC. And I got offers for 4 Russell group unis. So Russell group unis are not a definite no. Also, most unis have a contextual data system such as looking how your school have performed in the past. If you hit even one marker they look at your GCSE’s in a kinder way. I went to a school where the majority of students didn’t even pass maths and English GCSE and nearly everyone did just 5 GCSE’s. Just ace your A Levels and they’ll struggle to say no. Good luck!
Original post by Scotney
You have GREAT A levels and are applying post exams. Seriously you can walk into most courses!

Those are just my predicteds so far. I fully intend to achieve them but until results day I can’t be fully sure.
Original post by hoixw
GCSEs only make up about 10% of an application. Please do apply to some RGs - unis love nothing more than progress, and they will take the fact that you went to a crap secondary school into consideration. I'd make sure you put how bad your school was as an extenuating circumstance though, detailing how you did triple science in lunches, bad teachers etc.

Is there like an extenuating circumstances form I can put it in as I don’t really want to waste time on my PS ****ging off my old school.
Reply 27
Is there like an extenuating circumstances form I can put it in as I don’t really want to waste time on my PS ****ging off my old school.

Yup, there is an extenuating circumstances section on UCAS. Anything you put I would run past your school though, it should be pretty formal and not over the top. Just formally explaining the issues you had during your GCSEs and how they impacted you in a fairly short paragraph (100-150 words imo)

Do the emails and then see what they advise. No you should not put it on your personal statement it can be put on your academic reference by your school/referee.
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi. I’ve said this earlier, but I’ll mention it again in case you’ve missed it. When you do your ucas application you have to put in the schools you have attended. Unis will then use contextual data such as looking at exam performance. They will then take this information into account when deciding on whether to make you an offer.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi. I’ve said this earlier, but I’ll mention it again in case you’ve missed it. When you do your ucas application you have to put in the schools you have attended. Unis will then use contextual data such as looking at exam performance. They will then take this information into account when deciding on whether to make you an offer.

Ah mad! I’m hoping helps them realise I’m not actually clapped I just had a hard time at school.
Original post by Scotney
Do the emails and then see what they advise. No you should not put it on your personal statement it can be put on your academic reference by your school/referee.

All good then. I’ll go about emailing tomorrow! Thanks for your help!
Reply 32
Ask ur teachers to include information about your old school in ur reference to give the universities some contextual info abt ur GCSE grades. Unis are supposed to take this into account.
Reply 33
Hi well done with your hard work.I am also worried as my school everyone did excellently and my results weren't that great .I like to do medicine and I am worried.I got 3A* 7A 1B.What everyone think my chances of getting into a good medical school.I have just started Maths,Bio,Chem for A/L and psychology for AS.
Original post by HFS
Hi well done with your hard work.I am also worried as my school everyone did excellently and my results weren't that great .I like to do medicine and I am worried.I got 3A* 7A 1B.What everyone think my chances of getting into a good medical school.I have just started Maths,Bio,Chem for A/L and psychology for AS.

Tsr member Sinnoh has a thread they started about 3weeks ago called Are my gcse's good enough for... Check out link on there for med schools. Also I think UCAS also details gcse requirements for each one.

Quick Reply

Latest