The_million
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im thinking of either taking Maths, Further Maths and physics or Maths, Economics and physics for A-level. Im not sure if further maths will be worth it. I want to study aerospace engineering at Uni.
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The_million)
Im thinking of either taking Maths, Further Maths and physics or Maths, Economics and physics for A-level. Im not sure if further maths will be worth it. I want to study aerospace engineering at Uni.
Further maths is a fantastic A-level to have, it’s very highly regarded and will help you out massively if you want to go on to study maths/physics/chemistry/engineering/economics at university. It will compliment physics and maths very well, and you’ll find all three helping each other out throughout the two years.

Only take further maths if you are strong at maths and really do enjoy it. There are people in my class who got 9s at GCSE and are now struggling to get a C at A-level. The workload is heavy for further maths, and the content is very difficult. You have to be prepared to work really hard at it and so a natural ability and passion is important. That being said, it’s one of my favourite subjects and I couldn’t recommend it enough!! It’s always interesting, makes normal maths much easier and the classes tend to be small. If you want to go into aerospace engineering, I imagine further maths would be favourable over economics. Best of luck, and if you have any more questions about physics, maths or further then I’m happy to help
The_million
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lemmens)
Further maths is a fantastic A-level to have, it’s very highly regarded and will help you out massively if you want to go on to study maths/physics/chemistry/engineering/economics at university. It will compliment physics and maths very well, and you’ll find all three helping each other out throughout the two years.

Only take further maths if you are strong at maths and really do enjoy it. There are people in my class who got 9s at GCSE and are now struggling to get a C at A-level. The workload is heavy for further maths, and the content is very difficult. You have to be prepared to work really hard at it and so a natural ability and passion is important. That being said, it’s one of my favourite subjects and I couldn’t recommend it enough!! It’s always interesting, makes normal maths much easier and the classes tend to be small. If you want to go into aerospace engineering, I imagine further maths would be favourable over economics. Best of luck, and if you have any more questions about physics, maths or further then I’m happy to help
Alright thanks alot
examming
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure your uni course counts further maths as an option - some courses count your maths and further maths as one A Level ( not sure why ).
Other than that I’ve really enjoyed doing the further maths A Level so far - though it can be challenging 😋

Hope this helps
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by examming)
Make sure your uni course counts further maths as an option - some courses count your maths and further maths as one A Level ( not sure why ).
Other than that I’ve really enjoyed doing the further maths A Level so far - though it can be challenging 😋

Hope this helps
This isn't really true. All universities recognise that Maths and FM are two separate A-levels. Some medical schools will not include both Maths and Further Maths in a three A-level offer, but that doesn't mean they are "counted as one A level". Besides, OP is applying for aerospace engineering, where maths is very important, so both A levels would certainly be recognised separately.
FloLemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Further Maths is really interesting, and will definitely aid you with Maths A-Level in my opinion. I want to go into Astrophysics! And although Further Maths will never be Essential from Uni offers, it is definitely desirable and separates you from other candidates. Economics isn't often regarded as a great a-level, at least from what I've heard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads