Guy673340
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
[QUOTE=Guy673340;85197412]So, I'm currently in my second year in sixth form, studying chem, phys and maths, I was predicted BCD for my A levels, and my plan was to do a low entry but high ranked engineering course, as I thought this would give me a pretty straight forward careeer. However, for my AS I got AAA, this leaving me with much more options, leaving me very unsure of what to do, as now feel i can do anything i want (within reason). Here are some of the subjects I've been considering with my thoughts regarding them:

Physics-my favourite subject during AS, however was surprised during an open day at Lancaster how much lab work and astronomy are involved, also unsure what job i would do.

Mathematics-also enjoyed at AS level, i really enjoy what i have learned is applied maths during my physics course. Again, unsure what job I would get.

Engineering-i know engineering is very broad, so i think i would apply for a general engineering course. My problem here is that i believe engineering might be less fun. Also less high earning (not something i care too much about).

Architecture-i have always had an interest in buildings, and like the idea of designing things that are not only practical but aesthetically pleasing. Overall i think this would be the most fun degree. My concern is that my art isn't very strong, and drawing isn't something i do for fun, and i have limited ability (grade A at GCSE is as far as it goes). Also concerned about how much need for architects there is.

Accounting-no interest at all in accounting, however know that it is a good career. However i know that it might be very boring.

Any help on my thought process would be grately appreciated. And anyone who has any idea which of these would be best. Sorry that this has been so long thankyou to anyone that read this far.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Guy673340)
(Original post by Guy673340)
So, I'm currently in my second year in sixth form, studying chem, phys and maths, I was predicted BCD for my A levels, and my plan was to do a low entry but high ranked engineering course, as I thought this would give me a pretty straight forward careeer. However, for my AS I got AAA, this leaving me with much more options, leaving me very unsure of what to do, as now feel i can do anything i want (within reason). Here are some of the subjects I've been considering with my thoughts regarding them:

Physics-my favourite subject during AS, however was surprised during an open day at Lancaster how much lab work and astronomy are involved, also unsure what job i would do.

Mathematics-also enjoyed at AS level, i really enjoy what i have learned is applied maths during my physics course. Again, unsure what job I would get.

Engineering-i know engineering is very broad, so i think i would apply for a general engineering course. My problem here is that i believe engineering might be less fun. Also less high earning (not something i care too much about).

Architecture-i have always had an interest in buildings, and like the idea of designing things that are not only practical but aesthetically pleasing. Overall i think this would be the most fun degree. My concern is that my art isn't very strong, and drawing isn't something i do for fun, and i have limited ability (grade A at GCSE is as far as it goes). Also concerned about how much need for architects there is.

Accounting-no interest at all in accounting, however know that it is a good career. However i know that it might be very boring.

Any help on my thought process would be grately appreciated. And anyone who has any idea which of these would be best. Sorry that this has been so long thankyou to anyone that read this far.
I would discount accounting if you have no interest. It is by no means an easy career - even after you complete your degree, there are further exams and study to do alongside your work, so if you aren't passionate about it, you will really struggle.

As for your other ideas, I would suggest looking at career profiles online (you can use the Prospects website) to see which interest you the most. From this point, you can decide what the best degree to take is. You may wish to look at career aptitude tests (although the results may not be 100% accurate) or chat to a careers advisor if you have one. Attend open days of courses you are particularly interested in - you can talk to lecturers and current students about the course and the job prospects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.4%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (70)
56%
No (47)
37.6%

Watched Threads