Worth taking my laptop and pc to uni? Watch

EasyPete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have a desktop pc which I use for just about everything (gaming, schoolwork, emails etc) but I'm not sure if I'd need to bring my laptop too, for lectures and stuff, or only bringing my laptop with me. Any advice?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd take both
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EasyPete)
So I have a desktop pc which I use for just about everything (gaming, schoolwork, emails etc) but I'm not sure if I'd need to bring my laptop too, for lectures and stuff, or only bringing my laptop with me. Any advice?
Depends on how you are travelling (do you have enough room to take both) and how much space you will have in your room (do you have space for both). Would you find yourself using both items on a regular basis or could you make do with just one?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Probably, you will find the laptop useful when you may be doing group work while there maybe no computers around.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Depends on how you are travelling (do you have enough room to take both) and how much space you will have in your room (do you have space for both). Would you find yourself using both items on a regular basis or could you make do with just one?
How big is your laptop? The size of a planet?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I’d say just take your laptop. I only used my laptop for the whole of first and second year! Its way too much hassle to take both
chunyang
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depending on how much you game, bring your PC. Everyone I know has bought their PC to university and it's a pretty good choice.

Maybe you could just bring a monitor (keyboard, mouse and everything else too, but not the PC itself) and connect it with your laptop? That's a good substitute as well. It would just be a pain to have to plug everything back in whenever you come back to your room after using your laptop at uni.
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chunyang)
Depending on how much you game, bring your PC. Everyone I know has bought their PC to university and it's a pretty good choice.

Maybe you could just bring a monitor (keyboard, mouse and everything else too, but not the PC itself) and connect it with your laptop? That's a good substitute as well. It would just be a pain to have to plug everything back in whenever you come back to your room after using your laptop at uni.
If his laptop has a usb-c port he could buy a dock, wire everything up to said dock and then plug in the usb-c cable to his laptop, and everything would just work. Most new laptops have them nowadays

In response to OP: Bring both. If you like to game, you literally won't be able to on your laptop, unless you have some beast Razer Blade.
chunyang
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hoixw)
If his laptop has a usb-c port he could buy a dock, wire everything up to said dock and then plug in the usb-c cable to his laptop, and everything would just work. Most new laptops have them nowadays

In response to OP: Bring both. If you like to game, you literally won't be able to on your laptop, unless you have some beast Razer Blade.
Yup, that is exactly what I do. Probably more convenient with OP if he doesn't mind gaming on his laptop and it's pretty good in situations like hooking it up with a switch. But gaming could be done on laptops as well, I mean obviously depends which one, but I only game lightly (Just LoL) and it runs pretty well with my fps being fine and good enough with me. Just depends on the individual really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?