The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

How do I register to vote in both my university region and home?

There are lots of things online saying that I can register to vote in local elections in both my university location and my home location but nowhere actually tells me how?

I've applied for a postal vote back home, and clicked a check box that said "I am a student living somewhere else" (or something like that) but there wasn't any information on how to vote in my uni location?

I got an email saying "You told us you wanted to apply for a postal vote, so we've attached an application form, which you’ll need to sign and return to Dorset Council. You can scan it and return it by email to..." where Dorset is the council I live at at home. So I fill out the form with the address of my university accommodation, and I can vote in elections back home from Durham, but how do I vote in Durham (my university). Do I just register to vote again? Will that invalidate my postal vote so I can ONLY vote in Durham?
Reply 1
Original post by Retsek
There are lots of things online saying that I can register to vote in local elections in both my university location and my home location but nowhere actually tells me how?

I've applied for a postal vote back home, and clicked a check box that said "I am a student living somewhere else" (or something like that) but there wasn't any information on how to vote in my uni location?

I got an email saying "You told us you wanted to apply for a postal vote, so we've attached an application form, which you’ll need to sign and return to Dorset Council. You can scan it and return it by email to..." where Dorset is the council I live at at home. So I fill out the form with the address of my university accommodation, and I can vote in elections back home from Durham, but how do I vote in Durham (my university). Do I just register to vote again? Will that invalidate my postal vote so I can ONLY vote in Durham?

Hello,
I am in a similar situation but I am hoping u have the answer as its been 2 years
Original post by Retsek

Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs, i'm not really politically savvy - but since no ones replied yet, when I moved to Loughborough from York, I got a letter in the post with a voting slip thingy? I don't remember filling out any form before hand... I remember everyone in my flat got one, maybe they're sent out without you having to declare that you've moved?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs, i'm not really politically savvy - but since no ones replied yet, when I moved to Loughborough from York, I got a letter in the post with a voting slip thingy? I don't remember filling out any form before hand... I remember everyone in my flat got one, maybe they're sent out without you having to declare that you've moved?

+ I can see I'm 2 years too late, perhaps this will help the fella above...
Original post by Laotsu
Hello,
I am in a similar situation but I am hoping u have the answer as its been 2 years

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/running-electoral-registration-wales/eligibility-register-vote/what-are-residency-requirements-registration-purposes/can-electors-register-vote-more-one-address

Also please don't bump old threads - the user you are quoting hasn't been active in over a year! If you have a question that was previously unanswered in another thread, your best bet is to make a new thread :smile: