Poll: Would you rather be very rich or very smart? Watch

Poll: Would you rather be very rich or very smart?
Top 10% rich and Top 50% smart (52)
52%
Top 10% smart and Top 50% rich (48)
48%
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’d pick wealth, an unpopular choice but considering that the smartest people in society don’t earn a whole lot (maths and physics graduates) I’d rather just have money
makeup
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by angelike1)
It's average.
nah I want a 6 figure salary
makeup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
I’d pick wealth, an unpopular choice but considering that the smartest people in society don’t earn a whole lot (maths and physics graduates) I’d rather just have money
I feel this
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Omg definitely smart if I still get to be in top 50% monetarily. Money doesn't buy happiness and I mean neither does being smart either but in theory the smarter you are the more you can appreciate about that world.
ethan4233
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Money, 100%.

I'd have a far better quality of life with average intelligence and a lot of money than vice versa.
Dunya
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Use your intelligence to increase your wealth.
Rania...
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd rather be very smart
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Omg definitely smart if I still get to be in top 50% monetarily. Money doesn't buy happiness and I mean neither does being smart either but in theory the smarter you are the more you can appreciate about that world.
I think money can make you happy up to about 40k a year which is about 10k above average.
(Original post by Dunya)
Use your intelligence to increase your wealth.
Assume your wealth stays at 50%.
makeup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I just wanna be rich
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Iintelligent, I don't need that much money. Assuming "average" is liveable well on. Dont know how I feel about hoarding that amount of wealth and doing nothing helpful with it. Being intelligent would be fun :ahee:
ElNiñoo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rather be rich
LadyScheherazade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I want to be smart to be rich. OF COURSE I WANNA BE DUMB RICH.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think money can make you happy up to about 40k a year which is about 10k above average.

Yeah which is what a lot of jobs pay for people with a stem phd which is where I'm aiming for rn tho haven't done any research experience yet so we shall see.
angelike1
Rep:
?
theres more to being smart than making money
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
theres more to being smart than making money
Yeah but if you’re rich you can pay people to be smart for you
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by R1C3)
Well, there are two considerations I can think of- to argue 'smart' over 'rich'.

1) A person with a higher intellect is probably (is this statistically true?) more likely to find themselves opportunities to earn lots of money- to the point where they may be considered 'rich'.
2) Would being more intelligent lead to a greater appreciation of a larger amount of topics, making you more happy and content as a result?
1 was ruled out by the OP.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago

What happens at 40k?

The top 10% isnt really much, but if you stayed at that level forever, then the money option is worth £50k and the 50% level is about £22k.
In that case id be happier on £50k.
R1C3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
1 was ruled out by the OP.
Not at all. The OP simply stated that degrees do no equate to high-income positions; which I'd agree with. Which is just one deterministic factor towards intelligence affecting income.

I know some really smart people (much smarter than me) who opted for a Games Development degree over, say, a degree in Software Development. I know that those friends are talented programmers- but I'd wager that a degree in the latter subject would be more appealing to an employer- as a rather vague example/interpretation.

A smart person should be more likely to earn a higher income than a less intelligent person, assuming both wanted it equally as much.
I'm sure if you gave £10k to two people of varying intelligence and asked them to make a substantial return, the smarter of the two would come out on top. Therefore, I'd say the ability to earn money is directly based on the intelligence of the subject- as the ability to easily learn should be a highly advantageous trait.
angelike1
Rep:
?
Yeah but if you’re rich you can pay people to be smart for you
erm what? lol
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What happens at 40k?

The top 10% isnt really much, but if you stayed at that level forever, then the money option is worth £50k and the 50% level is about £22k.
In that case id be happier on £50k.
'Happiness level' plateus after 40k.

And yeah thats true, when I made the thread I was thinking about average wealth to only include full-time workers (which is 30k region I think), which is more reasonable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (41)
7.78%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (308)
58.44%
No (178)
33.78%

Watched Threads