The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you rather be very rich or very smart?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Agent007
Smart is what makes you rich

You've not met many multi-millionaires then
Original post by angelike1
I mean yeah but I meant how intelligence can open different doors to experience the world. You're more likely to enjoy science, politics, philosophy, discussing and debating people, arguably more social and empathetic... etc.

With money you'll sort of get bored of buying things at some point.

You don’t need intelligence when you have a lot of money though, that’s the point I’m trying to make. When you can sail perpetually around the world and actually see the globe on a luxury cruise liner whilst your wealth makes you millions upon millions without having to work a day in your life who cares about politics and science?
This article on the guardian says 50k: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/sep/06/earnings-pay-happiness-research

Why look at entry points? Why not lifetime median salary? Its a more reliable indicator of "average".

Because I was looking at what it would equate to now.
It would have been better if you had included that in the OP.
I dont think top 10% equates to super rich or even rich.
You should have been 1%, but its your thread.

$75,000 is more akin to £60,000, which considering the survey was 2008 equated further to £79,000 now, so £40k is a bit meh.
I mean yeah but I meant how intelligence can open different doors to experience the world. You're more likely to enjoy science, politics, philosophy, discussing and debating people, arguably more social and empathetic... etc.

With money you'll sort of get bored of buying things at some point.

I would rather be able to afford to eat, travel, keep a roof over my head without worrying. Families are expensive as well.

Woohhoooo science, debates and politics.

I

You need to read the OP and the criteria set by the OP. You cant use your smarts to increase your salary so its that for life.
Reply 65
Original post by 999tigger
The OP said

(Original post by angelike1)Would you rather be in the top 10% most wealthy and average intelligence or...

top 10% most intelligence and average wealth (in the UK)?

Also, lets suppose your position in intelligence or wealth never changes throughout your life i.e. you cant use your smarts to make money or your money to be smart.

Did you miss that?

Yes, I did. Thank you very so much- that was already pointed out and discussed.
Did you miss that? :confused:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
You've not met many multi-millionaires then

If you mean that many multi-millionaires inherit their wealth, think of the people they inherited from, they must have been smart. Bear in mind that when I say "smart" I don't mean textbook smart.
Original post by R1C3
Yes, I did. Thank you very so much- that was already pointed out and discussed.
Did you miss that? :confused:

Then why are you tagging me over something that is contrary to the thread conditions as stated by the OP? You get to choose one or the other.
Reply 68
Then why are you tagging me over something that is contrary to the thread conditions as stated by the OP? You get to choose one or the other.

Because, clearly- if you had actually read the thread properly- I was only made aware of the 'conditions' after our discussion.
Please refrain from contacting me again in this thread- as our combined inability to read posts here does nothing more than derail the topic.

Thank you and goodnight.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 69
I'll take the big bucks over being smart any day.
Original post by JamesManc
I'm both tbf

Give me da money lots of da money

https://giphy.com/gifs/samuel-l-jackson-90s-gun-XKrKHi0vdRS3C
If you mean that many multi-millionaires inherit their wealth, think of the people they inherited from, they must have been smart. Bear in mind that when I say "smart" I don't mean textbook smart.

I'm not talking about inherited wealth. Plenty either got lucky, and / or worked very hard, or had employees that did.

You need to define "smart" then, other than able to make money ..
I would rather be able to afford to eat, travel, keep a roof over my head without worrying. Families are expensive as well.

Woohhoooo science, debates and politics.

I

Lottery winners aren't actually much happier than controls and not that much happier than paraplegics as you may expect: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1980-01001-001

And what are you going to do after you travel? You can't exactly spend every waking moment on a boat lol

Because I was looking at what it would equate to now.
It would have been better if you had included that in the OP.
I dont think top 10% equates to super rich or even rich.
You should have been 1%, but its your thread.

$75,000 is more akin to £60,000, which considering the survey was 2008 equated further to £79,000 now, so £40k is a bit meh.

Fair enough - I assumed The Guardian knew how to accuratly use a dollar to gbp converter.

But even so, the difference in happiness between $50,000 (avg US income) and $75,000 isn't as significant as you may think: https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/107/38/16489/F1.large.jpg

And btw in the context of the thread you are giving up a lot of intelligence just to gain a fraction of happiness from an increased income.
(edited 4 years ago)
Lottery winners aren't actually much happier than controls and not that much happier than paraplegics as you may expect: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1980-01001-001

And what are you going to do after you travel? You can't exactly spend every waking moment on a boat lol

Fair enough - I assumed The Guardian knew how to accuratly use a dollar to gbp converter.

But even so, the difference in happiness between $50,000 (avg US income) and $75,000 isn't as significant as you may think: https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/107/38/16489/F1.large.jpg

1978? Really?
Actually it can be all the difference if you have a family.

You talk about super rich and £40,000 or £50,000 is nowhere near it.
1978? Really?
Actually it can be all the difference if you have a family.

You talk about super rich and £40,000 or £50,000 is nowhere near it.

It's a very well regarded study, still cited today.

Fine it's not rich - the figures are still there - stop being pedantic. :colonhash:
It's a very well regarded study, still cited today.

Fine it's not rich - the figures are still there - stop being pedantic. :colonhash:

Or rather I am being realistic. the figures you set are very modest but you will find a big difference between being on 50 and 75k.

Not really. Most of the world's richest people aren't notably intelligent. They've just got a great mind for business and are very skilled in getting what they want out of people. Conversely, many of the most intelligent people in history weren't particularly rich.
Or rather I am being realistic. the figures you set are very modest but you will find a big difference between being on 50 and 75k.

How? The 2008 study just said otherwise.

Btw I dont think the Guardian was wrong. I just checked the dollar-pound exchange rate in 2008 and $75k was closer to £40k which is roughly 50k today.
Intelligence can be a curse - just ask my daughter every time she understands one of my jokes, and wishes that she 'd hadn't. To add insult to injury, she often has to explain it to others.

IMO, it's less stressful to be impressed by other people's intelligence than their lack of it.
How? The 2008 study just said otherwise.

Btw I dont think the Guardian was wrong. I just checked the dollar-pound exchange rate in 2008 and $75k was closer to £40k which is roughly 50k today.

You didnt account for exchange rate and inflation.

Quick Reply

Latest