The Student Room Group

iPad

How much more efficient is it to use an iPad + apple pencil over traditional means and is it worth the investment? I am considering the iPad Air, is the additional cost over the base iPad a worthwhile investment?
Reply 1
Hi! I have the iPad Pro with the second generation Apple pencil. I paid around £1100 in total with Apple Care.

Life changer. I prefer to keep electronic notes rather than papers, but it is difficult as teachers will continue to be old school and give out handouts and expect you to keep a paper copy of your notes despite keeping a digital copy already. So you might think having an iPad is easier, but it really isn't as most likely you will still need to carry around paper and pens. But the great thing about using an iPad is that you have fewer notes to carry around. I use my iPad for digital textbooks, books for my coursework using the Kindle app, and basically just everything you can think of. Also, think about which app you will use to take notes and how convenient it is to study from and print out. I personally use notability and I think it's pretty decent.

Don't forget that you won't just be using it for note-taking! I usually use mine for leisure like watching videos at the most.

But definitely, the Air is worth the extra additional cost, but I truly recommend to get the Pro if you have the budget to, as it is unparalleled with how amazing it is for class notes. The Air is still amazing, but I totally believe it is a worthwhile investment.

If you're a person like me that prefers less weight and more convenience, then get the iPad. You will continue to use it for years and not just for note-taking!
Original post by chunyang
Hi! I have the iPad Pro with the second generation Apple pencil. I paid around £1100 in total with Apple Care.

Life changer. I prefer to keep electronic notes rather than papers, but it is difficult as teachers will continue to be old school and give out handouts and expect you to keep a paper copy of your notes despite keeping a digital copy already. So you might think having an iPad is easier, but it really isn't as most likely you will still need to carry around paper and pens. But the great thing about using an iPad is that you have fewer notes to carry around. I use my iPad for digital textbooks, books for my coursework using the Kindle app, and basically just everything you can think of. Also, think about which app you will use to take notes and how convenient it is to study from and print out. I personally use notability and I think it's pretty decent.

Don't forget that you won't just be using it for note-taking! I usually use mine for leisure like watching videos at the most.

But definitely, the Air is worth the extra additional cost, but I truly recommend to get the Pro if you have the budget to, as it is unparalleled with how amazing it is for class notes. The Air is still amazing, but I totally believe it is a worthwhile investment.

If you're a person like me that prefers less weight and more convenience, then get the iPad. You will continue to use it for years and not just for note-taking!

Firstly, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean in regards to using an iPad for leisure, I have a previous gen iPad and use it everyday! (Need to upgrade however as getting a bit slow). Is using an iPad to take notes popular and if not; is it awkward being one of few to use it during lectures?
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorFeuer
Firstly, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean in regards to using an iPad for leisure, I have a previous gen iPad and use it everyday! (Need to upgrade however as getting a bit slow). Is using an iPad to take notes popular and if not; is it awkward being one of few to use it during lectures?

Not really, everyone minds their own business. My teachers think it's pretty "amazing" that I have such technology since they are so old school. I only know one other person that uses an iPad to take notes so I'm guessing it's not that popular, but then again, I don't know a lot of people and don't pay attention to how they take notes.

Honestly, you do you. Most of my friends think it's cool that I use one, and just draw on my screen when I don't pay attention which doesn't really bother me; so I don't really think it's that awkward, but that might be just me.

But if you do get an iPad with the apple pencil, take care of the apple pencil. Not even joking when I say I've almost lost that stupid pencil so many times, and because it's like £120, I can't afford to replace it. Just keep it safe if you're messy like me.
Original post by chunyang
Not really, everyone minds their own business. My teachers think it's pretty "amazing" that I have such technology since they are so old school. I only know one other person that uses an iPad to take notes so I'm guessing it's not that popular, but then again, I don't know a lot of people and don't pay attention to how they take notes.

Honestly, you do you. Most of my friends think it's cool that I use one, and just draw on my screen when I don't pay attention which doesn't really bother me; so I don't really think it's that awkward, but that might be just me.

But if you do get an iPad with the apple pencil, take care of the apple pencil. Not even joking when I say I've almost lost that stupid pencil so many times, and because it's like £120, I can't afford to replace it. Just keep it safe if you're messy like me.

Will do! Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending