how does a british citizen study in the US? Watch

lewis6969
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
basically i wanna go to university in the USA, how can i go about doing this? and is it a financial mess?
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What year are you in? If you're in year 12, you really should apply to the Sutton Trust US Programme if you're eligible - they provide support in seeking financial aid, pay for ACTs and whatnot, get you interviews with European/UK admissions officers and chances to meet them (before you apply). And you get a free trip to the US.

Anyway, you'll need to do the ACT/SAT. Most top universities are "need-aware" for international students - meaning, they see your financial aid application with your application, so they know how much the uni would have to cough up. They'll still admit a dozen or more international students though. Only like 5 US universities are "need-blind" - they don't know your financial aid application when you apply to them.

You'll also need amazing extracurriculars, they're something US universities value highly. All that useless stuff - DofE Gold, your county level Tennis, Grade 6 piano and god knows what else will actually be incredibly useful on your application.

It's also a LOT harder than applying to UK unis, most unis want special essays along with your normal application. And they're very personal, long, and more or less the antithesis of a personal statement.
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hoixw)
What year are you in? If you're in year 12, you really should apply to the Sutton Trust US Programme if you're eligible - they provide support in seeking financial aid, pay for ACTs and whatnot, get you interviews with European/UK admissions officers and chances to meet them (before you apply). And you get a free trip to the US.

Anyway, you'll need to do the ACT/SAT. Most top universities are "need-aware" for international students - meaning, they see your financial aid application with your application, so they know how much the uni would have to cough up. They'll still admit a dozen or more international students though. Only like 5 US universities are "need-blind" - they don't know your financial aid application when you apply to them.

You'll also need amazing extracurriculars, they're something US universities value highly. All that useless stuff - DofE Gold, your county level Tennis, Grade 6 piano and god knows what else will actually be incredibly useful on your application.

It's also a LOT harder than applying to UK unis, most unis want special essays along with your normal application. And they're very personal, long, and more or less the antithesis of a personal statement.
ok cheers, **** that then lol. im too lazy & broke to go through all of that
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lewis6969)
ok cheers, **** that then lol. im too lazy & broke to go through all of that
Yeah it's hard haha. If you are actually poor (or your parents earn like under £50k), still look into the Sutton Trust if you're a y12 kid (they do so much cool stuff). If you're y13, you'd have probably left it too late to even apply anyway haha.
tomf27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Id also look into courses in the UK that offer a study abroad year. A lot of universities in the UK have connections with US universities. There's also a couple of degree programs that let you do 2 years in the UK and 2 years abroad in the US which might be good for you.
DriBokaie1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’m American so I know the US college application system really well. If you have any specific questions, regarding entrance exams, essays, volunteer hours, etc, feel free to message me
rjckk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Are you boy or girl? How old are you?

There seem to be many shootings in USA
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by rjckk)
Are you boy or girl? How old are you?

There seem to be many shootings in USA
a 19 year old guy
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by DriBokaie1)
I’m American so I know the US college application system really well. If you have any specific questions, regarding entrance exams, essays, volunteer hours, etc, feel free to message me
as nice as it would be to study in the US, i think it would just be easier to study here in the uk. sorry lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?