For studying film, university experience or independent/freelancer type of vibe? Watch

marcmalilay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In short: Is a more Film School like experience or a University that teaches Film better?

Hello, I have been looking to study film at either Hertfordshire University or Ravensbourne University. Both courses look appealing to me, I have been accpeted into both and Hertfordshire is close to enough to London as well.

However I have found that there is one big difference which I am having trouble deciding between. Hertfordshire seems to be more of a tradiontional in-the-movies uni experience with a big campus, students everywhere, and just overall more traditional. This appeals to me a lot as I have always fantasised about this sort of experience which I really like, however I am not sure if it is the best to shape me into the best filmmaker I can be. Ravensbourne by comparison seems to be more of a throw-you-at-the-deep-end, independent experience with less traditional support and university teaching style.

From what I have read, the Film course at Ravensbourne seems to operate more like a working company or Film Studio as opposed to a university. Which would you say is better?

I am really drawn to "University experience" of Hertfordshire however I don't know if that will be best for me as a filmmaker. For what it's worth I have also been considering Brighton Film School and if someone could give specific points or praise for any of these institutions that would be great.

I feel like I would be happy at any of these schools to be honest, I just want to find the absolute best one.

Any helps would be appreciated,

- Marc
Last edited by marcmalilay; 1 week ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you want a job in the film industry then a CILECT member film school would be a better choice than either of those (and brighton film school is extremely dodgy). Assuming that you’re restricting your search to London then you should look at Westminster and LCC within UAL and maybe UCA Farnborough as a commutable option.

Westminster seems likely to hit both your criteria of a film school within a university. Leeds Beckett would do the same if you were willing to look outside London.
marcmalilay
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you want a job in the film industry then a CILECT member film school would be a better choice than either of those (and brighton film school is extremely dodgy). Assuming that you’re restricting your search to London then you should look at Westminster and LCC within UAL and maybe UCA Farnborough as a commutable option.

Westminster seems likely to hit both your criteria of a film school within a university. Leeds Beckett would do the same if you were willing to look outside London.
@PQ Hi. thanks for the reply. unfortunately I cannot go to Westminster anymore because clearing for it has closed however I still have a chance at ravensbourne or herts. Out of those 2, which would you recommend? I just looked into it and the herts film and Television program is apparently a cilect accredited source. also Raindance film school as that is also a possibility
Last edited by marcmalilay; 1 week ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by marcmalilay)
@PQ Hi. thanks for the reply. unfortunately I cannot go to Westminster anymore because clearing for it has closed however I still have a chance at ravensbourne or herts. Out of those 2, which would you recommend? I just looked into it and the herts film and Television program is apparently a cilect accredited source. also Raindance film school as that is also a possibility
Ahhh yes Herts is a CILECT member now too. I would recommend herts over Rave unless you’re particularly keen on the Ravensbourne location/course.
marcmalilay
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ahhh yes Herts is a CILECT member now too. I would recommend herts over Rave unless you’re particularly keen on the Ravensbourne location/course.
The location of rave isn't too much of an advantage for me as it's pretty easy to get to london from herts. and when it comes to the course, I get a more traditional uni vibe from herts and a more media company feel from rave. I think i would be happy at either honestly i just wanna make sure i get the best I can. thanks for you advice
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In short: Is a more Film School like experience or a University that teaches Film better?

Hello, I have been looking to study film at either Hertfordshire University or Ravensbourne University. Both courses look appealing to me, I have been accpeted into both and Hertfordshire is close to enough to London as well.

However I have found that there is one big difference which I am having trouble deciding between. Hertfordshire seems to be more of a tradiontional in-the-movies uni experience with a big campus, students everywhere, and just overall more traditional. This appeals to me a lot as I have always fantasised about this sort of experience which I really like, however I am not sure if it is the best to shape me into the best filmmaker I can be. Ravensbourne by comparison seems to be more of a throw-you-at-the-deep-end, independent experience with less traditional support and university teaching style.

From what I have read, the Film course at Ravensbourne seems to operate more like a working company or Film Studio as opposed to a university. Which would you say is better?

I am really drawn to "University experience" of Hertfordshire however I don't know if that will be best for me as a filmmaker. For what it's worth I have also been considering Brighton Film School and if someone could give specific points or praise for any of these institutions that would be great.

I feel like I would be happy at any of these schools to be honest, I just want to find the absolute best one.

- Marc
The location of rave isn't too much of an advantage for me as it's pretty easy to get to london from herts. and when it comes to the course, I get a more traditional uni vibe from herts and a more media company feel from rave. I think i would be happy at either honestly i just wanna make sure i get the best I can. thanks for you advice
Hi marcmalilay,

So glad to know you're considering Hertfordshire as one of your choices Our Film and TV course is ranked 16th nationally for Film Production (Guardian). This along with our TEF Gold in teaching quality should assure you about the quality of education you can expect at Herts! Hertfordshire is a campus-based university which should further enhance your learning experience as you can expect anything you may need to access right on campus without having to travel too far, for example, we have a doctor's surgery, bank and a nightclub right on campus :king1:

Herts also has amazing industry links with its end of the year show being recognised with awards from many of these industry partners. The course also offers unique bursaries such as Warner Brothers Creative Talent Scheme and Royal Television Society Bursary :eek: As you rightly pointed out we also hold the following accreditations besides CILECT, ScreenSkills, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Accreditation (The University is proud to be one of Blackmagic’s first accredited training centres in Europe), Avid accreditation and The Production Guild :crown:

I think we have enough resources and facilities to support you in being the best filmmaker that you can be . In terms of University life itself Herts UG Student Rep, as a current student himself could throw some more light on experiences at Herts.

Finally, don't forget to check out our course page in detail (especially teaching methods which will further help you) and I'd advise you to visit us for an open day to experience a taster of Herts life yourself! :cool:

- Chirasree
marcmalilay
Rep:
?
hello, thanks for the reply. How much of the course would you say is practical and how much is writing? Also is there a particularly large focus on television? as I am mostly interested in film but dont mind building general video skill as well
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

- Marc
Hey Marc!

Seems like quite a decision to make, and some very good points you have raised. Since University of Hertfordshire has already given some very good information about Hertfordshire, I thought I would give you my thoughts from the perspective of a current student.

1. The University lifestyle seems like a big draw for you, and I don't blame you - I have really enjoyed my time at Herts. Whilst Film may be your dream career, you could be working in that industry for many years, whereas you will only be in University for 3-4 years. Perhaps its best to go to a traditional University (such as Herts), and enjoy the experience whilst you can - after graduation you will have many years to enjoy the experience of working in the Film Industry.

2. Go with what you like, not what you think is best for your CV. Both are good schools - they both have a graduate employment rate of over 90% and both have good student satisfaction ratings, so I imagine that your career prospects should be similarly high from either school. I would recommend going to the University you think you would enjoy studying at the most. If you're enjoying your course and University, it will likely help you do better.

3. If you want a combination of the traditional University experience, as well as the Film Studio type experience, then consider studying at Herts, but doing a year in industry after your 2nd year (or internship(s) during Summer months) so that you get a balance of time in industry and University. As a student who did a placement year (I'm an engineering student so did my placement in Aerospace Engineering) I would recommend it. The placement has certainly helped me to become a more well-rounded engineer. Doing a placement may also address your concern of whether the University experience will shape you into the best film maker.

4. Something that did worry me in your post is the point about support. You said "throw-you-at-the-deep-end, independent experience with less traditional support and university teaching style". I would be concerned if I were joining a University which threw-me-in-at-the-deep-end and offered little support. I am not sure I would have learnt as much during my degree if it wasn't for the support I received from my tutors. Hertfordshire offers very good academic support which is very helpful.

If you really cannot decide, the best piece of advice I was once given is "do what you think you'd regret the least". Try to follow the option you like the look of most and, if you are struggling to choose one, use Unistats to compare the course and feel free to ask me any questions about Hertfordshire
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hello, thanks for the reply. How much of the course would you say is practical and how much is writing? Also is there a particularly large focus on television? as I am mostly interested in film but dont mind building general video skill as well
Looking at the modules, it seems to be fairly 50/50 between Film and Television, with several modules based on skills which could be applied to either film or television. In your final year, you will have the chance to work independently on projects which you may wish to base more around film.

If you take a look at our course page, and scroll down you will see what modules you will be working on. You can also find the course fact sheet on this page. If you have any questions about the course then you can also contact our Film & Television Programme Leader, Chris Chandler on [email protected].

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University