Anxious, don't want to miss Freshers week. Watch

Jerusha Palihena
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, My student visa isn't ready yet, and I'm suppose to be in Worcester by today. I'm sure it's not just me but I am starting to feel a little panicky. Of course, I have informed the uni of my arrival delay, but I feel this massive amount of dread that I'm going to miss out on induction/orientation week and that making friends might be a little bit more awkward and I'll end up becoming a social outcast or something (I know , I know it's silly. There are plenty of clubs and activities as well as my classes, and I can easily make friends there. )

I'm going to be a long way away from home. I don't want that. I don't want to miss Freshers, especially now that some of my older friends are telling me how fun their Freshers were. I'm sure I'm just overthinking things, and I know I won't be the only one. I guess I'm mostly upset because things didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped they'd go.

Anyone else in the same pickle as me? Feel free to scream with me down here.
jstutoring
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There isn't any need to feel panicky about missing Fresher's week. Whilst it is a very social week, most people are partying and not in the business of making lasting friendships, these are usually made after Fresher's week in the first term of uni as you start to get to know the real side of people rather than the side they choose to show off during Fresher's.

I understand the nervousness around the late arrival of your visa however, this isn't nice and can't be helped, but I really wouldn't worry about the social impact of it. If anything it'll give you a chance to tell people a story and get to know more about you.
zara456674
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jerusha Palihena)
Hi, My student visa isn't ready yet, and I'm suppose to be in Worcester by today. I'm sure it's not just me but I am starting to feel a little panicky. Of course, I have informed the uni of my arrival delay, but I feel this massive amount of dread that I'm going to miss out on induction/orientation week and that making friends might be a little bit more awkward and I'll end up becoming a social outcast or something (I know , I know it's silly. There are plenty of clubs and activities as well as my classes, and I can easily make friends there. )

I'm going to be a long way away from home. I don't want that. I don't want to miss Freshers, especially now that some of my older friends are telling me how fun their Freshers were. I'm sure I'm just overthinking things, and I know I won't be the only one. I guess I'm mostly upset because things didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped they'd go.

yeah looks like I'll be arriving late too

but honestly missing a few karaoke nights and human twister doesn't sound too bad to me
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly you'll be missing out on very little.
RainbowParrot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I'll be missing freshers too and perhaps even having to miss the first 2 weeks of classes - can't be helped for me, unfortunately. I think you'll be fine, just relax and have fun once you get there
Jerusha Palihena
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by jstutoring)
There isn't any need to feel panicky about missing Fresher's week. Whilst it is a very social week, most people are partying and not in the business of making lasting friendships, these are usually made after Fresher's week in the first term of uni as you start to get to know the real side of people rather than the side they choose to show off during Fresher's.

I understand the nervousness around the late arrival of your visa however, this isn't nice and can't be helped, but I really wouldn't worry about the social impact of it. If anything it'll give you a chance to tell people a story and get to know more about you.
Thank you!

I got my visa yesterday btw, and I'll be heading out tomorrow, right on time for the welcome party. But I'm not too worried about how freshers might impact my social life anymore. I'm hearing a lot about how many people didn't make any lasting friendships from that week. I also realized that it's just the first week, and I have so much time and so many other opportunities to make friends.
Jerusha Palihena
Rep:
?
(Original post by RainbowParrot)
I'll be missing freshers too and perhaps even having to miss the first 2 weeks of classes - can't be helped for me, unfortunately. I think you'll be fine, just relax and have fun once you get there
Thank you!

I hope you get your visa soon, and enjoy your time in uni when you start. According to a lot of older students we won't be missing out on much. But I suppose every Fresher looks forward to it to some extent. Which uni will you be going to btw?

And Best of Luck!
Jerusha Palihena
Rep:
?

***UPDATE!!

I received my visa!! yay ^_^
RainbowParrot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you!

I hope you get your visa soon, and enjoy your time in uni when you start. According to a lot of older students we won't be missing out on much. But I suppose every Fresher looks forward to it to some extent. Which uni will you be going to btw?

And Best of Luck!
Yes, definitely (and congrats on the VISA)! I'll be going to UoM for drama!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?