The Student Room Group

Distance learning nursing degree

Is there a distance learning degree in nursing?

I have seen the OU offer one, but this appears to be the nursing apprenticeship, so only suitable to those already working as a HCA and can get support from their current trust.

I have young children and wondered if there was a distance learning course for nursing (my nearest University is very far away). I would be interested in either PGDip or BSC.

Thanks!
Original post by Rad1991

I have seen the OU offer one, but this appears to be the nursing apprenticeship, so only suitable to those already working as a HCA and can get support from their current trust.

I have young children and wondered if there was a distance learning course for nursing (my nearest University is very far away). I would be interested in either PGDip or BSC.

Thanks!

you have to meet the placement requirement when studying nursing so you can't do it fully distance learning i m afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
you have to meet the placement requirement when studying nursing so you can't do it fully distance learning i m afraid.

Oh I know there are placements. But I wonder if anywhere offer the BSc or PGdip as remote study for the theory side. A bit like the OU (but OU only offer the nurse apprenticeship which takes 4 years)

Yesterday sawI an article on nursing notes that said they might release a remote course in 2020. But I can't find any more information about that. Hmmm
Original post by Rad1991

Thanks!

Unfortunately not at the moment other than OU. There are a few major issues associated with teaching nursing at a distance.

Universities don't just have a responsibility to teach you theoretical skills, they also need to ensure that you complete mandatory training (moving and handling, basic life support), clinical skills training (IV infusions, venepuncture, dressings etc.) and simulation sessions - all things which simply can't be taught at a distance. There would be no way for any university staff member to deem you competent in these areas without having trained, and observed you in person.

Universities also, under NMC regulations, must verify students' theoretical teaching hours. This would be almost impossible to do online as they would have no way to monitor students' attendance or engagement with the teaching sessions. Unless a university can prove that you have engaged in 2300 hours of theoretical learning, you cannot be registered with the NMC.

Obviously you also need to consider your placements if travel is an issue for you. You will be required to travel fairly significant distances to placements and will be expected to complete whatever shifts you are assigned. Universities generally do not offer any flexibility in terms of the placements you are assigned, and placements are obligated to give you the same shifts as your mentor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending