Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
1) What is you're solution to unite the country and get on with real life policies. If you had control to do so but was answerable to the uk electorate.

Mine would be, go back to the EU arrange a Canada deal we turned down and erect a hard boarder at the mainland ports, allow NI to remain a member of the CU SM as they elected to do and opinions polls show that want. Screw the DUP they are the minority and in democracy majority rules.

2) If you was PM in current minority how would you propose to solve the current brexit impass.

Mine would be to table a motion of no confidence in myself.

1) should I win it boycott parliament and start and election campaign based on the machiavellian mannerisms opposition benches have acted, forcing the queen to intervene and desolve parliament.

2) should I lose, travel to Buckingham palace and instruct the queen to allow Jeremy Corbyn to form a government and return to campaign mode immediately

Either way the result will be a GE, I would win because people want brexit done and labour would sink themselves either way.

If I had a majority government I would return to point one. If I had a minority government or a weak majority, I would reheat the exit agreement with the clear choice this or no deal, which would never happen.

End result brexit delivered soft or true and the country can start to rebuild again and stop the rot.
Alt Tankie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1: Go to the EU and offer them a choice.

A: Agree some deal for access to the single market, basically a Canada lite option.

B: we leave with no deal

And then: ,we leave NATO, become more friendly with Putin and Trump, stop EU sanctions, Begin covertly supporting eurosceptic groups in the EU esp AFD etc.

Of course even if we do get a trade deal I would go ahead with some or all of B.

If I was in Johnson’s position I would refuse to agree an extension and dare parliament to try and arrest me.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
1) What is you're solution to unite the country and get on with real life policies. If you had control to do so but was answerable to the uk electorate.

Mine would be, go back to the EU arrange a Canada deal we turned down and erect a hard boarder at the mainland ports, allow NI to remain a member of the CU SM as they elected to do and opinions polls show that want. Screw the DUP they are the minority and in democracy majority rules.
You don't have many volunteers to solve Brexit!

If you are going to unite the country you need losers' consent. It doesn't really matter for this purpose who is the loser.

That means you need another Referendum, but of itself that isn't enough.

Remain needs to be one of the Referendum options

The other option is more complex.

You need to eliminate two false possibilitites.

One is No Deal. It isn't realistic. It has never been realistic. All of the internal government documents on No Deal have to be published in the same way that we publish the failed diplomacy that leads up to the outbreak of war.

The second is "If only I was Prime Minister, I could get a better deal". May's government foundered on that. The Prime Minister of the day has got to be seen to be doing the best he can for a good deal and that needs to be very visible with buy in from his cabinet.

The PM's new deal is thus the second Referendum option.

You then need a Truth Commission; a body of academics and journalists of a wide range of political views paid by the State but appointed as best one can independently whose job is to call out falsehoods in the politics of the Referendum and with legal power to demand the evidence base for political claims. There is a clear need to restore underlying factual truth in political argument.

Ultimately someone wins that second Referendum. If that is Remain, I don't think the public will have much sympathy for "We Was Robbed".

I don't know who would win because both sides would have to change their tactics. We now know that a Brexit vote will not bring about an immediate financial crisis and with No Deal off the table, there won't be any mileage in scare stories about the practical consequences of Brexit. On the other hand false claims of the sort that puncuated the previous Leave campaign would get trashed by the Truth Commission. I think both sides would have to engage with the other's case properly. Leave would have to address the fact that there is no good trade outcome from Brexit and Remain would have to face that fact that the EU is not a static body. If we stay, we are along for the ride and where is that ride taking us?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2) If you was PM in current minority how would you propose to solve the current brexit impass.

Mine would be to table a motion of no confidence in myself.

1) should I win it boycott parliament and start and election campaign based on the machiavellian mannerisms opposition benches have acted, forcing the queen to intervene and desolve parliament.

2) should I lose, travel to Buckingham palace and instruct the queen to allow Jeremy Corbyn to form a government and return to campaign mode immediately

Either way the result will be a GE, I would win because people want brexit done and labour would sink themselves either way.

If I had a majority government I would return to point one. If I had a minority government or a weak majority, I would reheat the exit agreement with the clear choice this or no deal, which would never happen.

End result brexit delivered soft or true and the country can start to rebuild again and stop the rot.

I don't think a VONC works. I think the Speaker would block it. If (s)he didn't Corbyn probably has the votes to sabotage it by proposing an amendmemt that keeps it as a VoNC but without the prescribed statutory words. That way his party can all vote for it, but it wouldn't bring about a GE. Failing that, the courts would rule it invalid.

Boris has to resign, I think, without a VONC. Otherwise he is simply a prisoner. But I think he has to guarantee Corbyn (or at the very least someone else) that the Conservatives will not topple him for a period. Otherwise he could become a second Gough Whitlam.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just get on with it and hope something can be salvaged from the mess. Thankfully I still have memories of the times when we weren't living in a dictatorship and skills I can take elsewhere if things get really bad.

Article in the local paper today saying how property in Manchester is being hovered up by foreign investors due to the exchange rate giving a 20% discount whilst construction is seeing 15% increase in costs and a shortage of labour as EU nationals head home.

Take back control? Ha!
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I don't think a VONC works. I think the Speaker would block it. If (s)he didn't Corbyn probably has the votes to sabotage it by proposing an amendmemt that keeps it as a VoNC but without the prescribed statutory words. That way his party can all vote for it, but it wouldn't bring about a GE. Failing that, the courts would rule it invalid.

Boris has to resign, I think, without a VONC. Otherwise he is simply a prisoner. But I think he has to guarantee Corbyn (or at the very least someone else) that the Conservatives will not topple him for a period. Otherwise he could become a second Gough Whitlam.
John bercow has been awful regarding acting impartial on the Brexit issue, well there is a case to say full stop but certainly over Brexit. I don't think history will remember him well, but, I doubt he would block's vote of no confidence in current circumstances. That would take baist to a whole new level

However with all due respect the purpose of this thread was to hear peoples solutions, not to pick them apart. I don't want thus thread to end up with leave vs remain arguments
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Really bored so here I am.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
1: Go to the EU and offer them a choice.

A: Agree some deal for access to the single market, basically a Canada lite option.

B: we leave with no deal

And then: ,we leave NATO, become more friendly with Putin and Trump, stop EU sanctions, Begin covertly supporting eurosceptic groups in the EU esp AFD etc.

Of course even if we do get a trade deal I would go ahead with some or all of B.

If I was in Johnson’s position I would refuse to agree an extension and dare parliament to try and arrest me.
Well... at least he'd get a better haircut in prison.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vinny C)
Really bored so here I am.
Lol welcome

1) What is you're solution to unite the country and get on with real life policies. If you had control to do so but was answerable to the uk electorate?

And

2) If you was PM in current minority government how would you propose to solve the current brexit impass?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 week ago
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lol welcome

1) What is you're solution to unite the country and get on with real life policies. If you had control to do so but was answerable to the uk electorate?

And

2) If you was PM in current minority government how would you propose to solve the current brexit impass?
Explain we have spent 3 yrs trying to deliver the Brexit promised. Discredit the extremists who made such promises. Offer an informed referendum minus all the hype. Explain to Europe that we need concessions and lots of them to avoid going back to square 1, at least then we're all pulling in the same direction. Next question...
Last edited by Vinny C; 1 week ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I like this other solution called unilateral revocation of the Article 50 notification.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why don't people ever suggest an AV vote on different levels of exiting the EU?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I like this other solution called unilateral revocation of the Article 50 notification.
Yes... but that will need LOTS of men on horseback. Even I may have to volunteer.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
Why don't people ever suggest an AV vote on different levels of exiting the EU?
1) Messy 2) Any solution would only satisfy a minority 3) As such... it would fail to unite. We were prepared for anything apart from the referendum result and there lies the problem.
Last edited by Vinny C; 1 week ago
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well... seem to have silenced you lot in 4 hrs... nvm 4 weeks
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No more takers... rest my case. Nice doing business and goodnight.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vinny C)
Explain we have spent 3 yrs trying to deliver the Brexit promised. Discredit the extremists who made such promises. Offer an informed referendum minus all the hype. Explain to Europe that we need concessions and lots of them to avoid going back to square 1, at least then we're all pulling in the same direction. Next question...
Vague at best,

1 informed referendum minus all the hype, explain what's the question how will you regulate opinion of campaigners?

2 what concessions will you seek from the EU?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
See what concessions you can get out of the EU27 and bring a Withdrawal Agreement forward to Parliament in the second half of October, hope enough people on the opposition benches crap themselves and vote for it. By all means try to build consensus, but the 'crapping themselves' element in a pretty important one.
Sallustio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You don't have many volunteers to solve Brexit!

If you are going to unite the country you need losers' consent. It doesn't really matter for this purpose who is the loser.

That means you need another Referendum, but of itself that isn't enough.

Remain needs to be one of the Referendum options

The other option is more complex.

You need to eliminate two false possibilitites.

One is No Deal. It isn't realistic. It has never been realistic. All of the internal government documents on No Deal have to be published in the same way that we publish the failed diplomacy that leads up to the outbreak of war.

The second is "If only I was Prime Minister, I could get a better deal". May's government foundered on that. The Prime Minister of the day has got to be seen to be doing the best he can for a good deal and that needs to be very visible with buy in from his cabinet.

The PM's new deal is thus the second Referendum option.

You then need a Truth Commission; a body of academics and journalists of a wide range of political views paid by the State but appointed as best one can independently whose job is to call out falsehoods in the politics of the Referendum and with legal power to demand the evidence base for political claims. There is a clear need to restore underlying factual truth in political argument.

Ultimately someone wins that second Referendum. If that is Remain, I don't think the public will have much sympathy for "We Was Robbed".

I don't know who would win because both sides would have to change their tactics. We now know that a Brexit vote will not bring about an immediate financial crisis and with No Deal off the table, there won't be any mileage in scare stories about the practical consequences of Brexit. On the other hand false claims of the sort that puncuated the previous Leave campaign would get trashed by the Truth Commission. I think both sides would have to engage with the other's case properly. Leave would have to address the fact that there is no good trade outcome from Brexit and Remain would have to face that fact that the EU is not a static body. If we stay, we are along for the ride and where is that ride taking us?
Of all the solutions I have seen, that’s the only one that makes sense. I am afraid that lack of compulsory education on European institutions and EU common values (which is mandatory in many Member States), continuous spreading of false lies about the EU by the UK press, the fragility of the UK institutions and constitution, geopolitics (Trump and Putin) and the manipulation of democracy by reckless corrupted politicians (who have been using it against the rule of law and fundamental rights) has led the country to the current situation.

I would suggest only a couple of changes, namely (1) that the country needs to revoke the A50 notification first. The country’s broken institutions cannot use their few brain cells left in such a situation of duress. First revoke then deal with your wounds by understanding about whom we have been dealing with in the last few years. Hence, (2) a public enquiry with Mueller style powers should be set up. Spend time first investigating who has funded Farage, the Conservatives and the Tufton Street organisations and expose to the public the truth about an extreme right coup.
(3) Get a written constitution where the rule of law and protection of fundamental rights are at the center of it.

There will never be unity without truth. Brexit, regardless of whether the country actually leaves or not and how it leaves, will define this country and us for the rest of our lives. I am afraid that we would not go far and get on with our lives unless we will deal squarely first with the following essential question: ‘Are we being conned?’
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Vague at best,

1 informed referendum minus all the hype, explain what's the question how will you regulate opinion of campaigners?

2 what concessions will you seek from the EU?
Better than constantly running off to Brussels, beating your chest like Tarzan chanting 17.4 million, then running back again. How Boris can compare himself to the Hulk... rofl. Boris the Blob would be closer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.45%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (298)
58.43%
No (174)
34.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed