Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm 20 and due to start university in October. I have just found out i am about 2-3 weeks pregnant and it's come as a huge shock. My initial reaction is that I can't go to university but having calculated when the baby will be due, I think it will be around the end of May. I called up the course leader this morning and asked when exams are for my course without disclosing my situation and he said they are finished around the start or middle of May. I am wondering whether I could perhaps still go to university this year, then maybe suspend for a year until the baby is 15 months and go back for September 2021. My thinking behind this is that it will be more difficult to do university with a baby than to do it pregnant. Once my baby is born I'll only have 2 years left to do until I can start working and hopefully provide a good income for my family. My boyfriend is at another local university as well. I'm just wondering if you think this would be possible or is a stupid idea and I should defer my place for a couple of years or not go at all?
alone ghost
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
why didn't you just use protection? I don't get it
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Plenty of people manage university just fine while pregnant. Your plan of attending this year then taking the following year out sounds sensible.

Perhaps contact one of your female lecturers (as your course leader is male) for some advice?
Last edited by sinfonietta; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by alone ghost)
Unhelpful. we did but it's not 100% effective. We've been together for 4 years and this is the first time I've ever been pregnant.
KayleeLouise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So many people have managed uni life while pregnant and with a child! I think you'll do absolutely fine and you'll be an amazing mother too. Plus you're actually thinking about it and considering the future, which shows that you're committed no matter what
alone ghost
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Unhelpful. we did but it's not 100% effective. We've been together for 4 years and this is the first time I've ever been pregnant.
Yeah I know that but you clearly weren't being careful because you should be making sure you aren't being careless when using the protection for e.g if it splits

You might as well stay at home now and look after the baby properly and maybe in a few years go back to education.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hey so I can imagine right now is a super stressful time for you. I'm not sure how you feel about abortion but it should be something you consider.

Having a baby will drain you for a lot of reasons, and I think you could defer entry for a while, looking after a child, will make it extremely hard to balance university if you decided to go back.

You're 20, you have a whole life to lead before thinking about children. If you feel uncomfortable with abortion, look into adoption.

Also you may end up giving birth around exam period, or just before since babies don't adhere to schedules. So I don't think that'll be the best idea, especially at uni if you want to enjoy yourself, being pregnant in of itself will make it hard.

Do what you makes you feel comfortable, but also consider all possible options.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this.

You're strong.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 20 and due to start university in October. I have just found out i am about 2-3 weeks pregnant and it's come as a huge shock. My initial reaction is that I can't go to university but having calculated when the baby will be due, I think it will be around the end of May. I called up the course leader this morning and asked when exams are for my course without disclosing my situation and he said they are finished around the start or middle of May. I am wondering whether I could perhaps still go to university this year, then maybe suspend for a year until the baby is 15 months and go back for September 2021. My thinking behind this is that it will be more difficult to do university with a baby than to do it pregnant. Once my baby is born I'll only have 2 years left to do until I can start working and hopefully provide a good income for my family. My boyfriend is at another local university as well. I'm just wondering if you think this would be possible or is a stupid idea and I should defer my place for a couple of years or not go at all?
Some women are able to balance uni and a baby, it depends on their support network. Will you have family around who can help with the baby, like when you have lectures or exams to focus on? There should be a support person at your university you can speak to confidentially about your situation, as you won't be the first one. Your university may even have help available for pregnant / new parent students.

(Original post by alone ghost)
You can still get pregnant even when using contraception as no contraception is 100% effective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?