Scottish judge rules suspension of parliament unlawful Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Judges in Scotland have ruled the suspension of parliament unlawful, which goes against previous rulings that say Boris Johnson did not break the law.

Nothing will be done yet as there has been no rulings or orders, but this is being assessed and will be decided on by Friday.

What do you think will happen?
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Judges in Scotland have ruled the suspension of parliament unlawful, which goes against previous rulings that say Boris Johnson did not break the law.

Nothing will be done yet as there has been no rulings or orders, but this is being assessed and will be decided on by Friday.

Literally nothing. The proroguing of Parliament will go ahead until October the 14th
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some Remainers will be very excited and hopeful it will be a decisive step towards annulling Brexit and sticking a finger at the 52%.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't like their reasoning. It seems to boil down to me as them saying "He did something legal.. but his motivations were bad, and therefore its unlawful" - I don't see them pointing to where the actual action he did was in any way unlawful, just that they questioned his motives. For me, that might make it immoral, but I don't think it should make it unlawful/illegal.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I don't like their reasoning. It seems to boil down to me as them saying "He did something legal.. but his motivations were bad, and therefore its unlawful" - I don't see them pointing to where the actual action he did was in any way unlawful, just that they questioned his motives. For me, that might make it immoral, but I don't think it should make it unlawful/illegal.
The thing about prorogation is that it's the queen that technically "does it", under advice from the Prime Minister. If the Prime Minister has had false intentions, then he has provided false advice to the Queen, which is very iffy.

I don't know how one is expected to actually pass a judgement on whether it was a lie or not, but there ya go.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like others said, literally nothing. Her Majesty suspended Parliament and no court can do **** about it as they all work for her
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Like others said, literally nothing. Her Majesty suspended Parliament and no court can do **** about it as they all work for her
That's absolutely not how this works.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Johanna Cherry QC MP said she felt confident that the UK Supreme Court would agree with the recent ruling of the Inner House.

It is worth remembering that the Divisional Court of the High Court said it was not unlawful. It comprised the Lord Chief Justice, the Master of the Rolls and the President of the QBD. A very senior band of judges and perhaps I am biased, but I would go with the High Court over the Inner House.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think we need to thread really carefully here, this could set a president for the future that has the potential to be far more damage in any type of Brexit.

What do I think will happen, the Supreme Court ruled it out and ruled in favour of the government.
King of badlands
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It only means“democracy doesn’t give people the power over the parliament and the courts”. People can vote as they like but they have to accept what the “ministers of parliament’’ decides for them or the ministers will let the hell loose and won’t stop until they get the desired results.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it is just Scottish lawyers throwing their weight around

smh
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The technicality is that the PM 'lied' or 'misrepresented' the situation when requesting the prorogation from the Queen and the real question is whether this is a matter for the Judiciary. That he wanted more to suspend Parliament for four more days of bothersome chattering than to formally request the Queen's Speech, that's also what Remainers expect from their digging into messaging on the subject. Gloves are out for good, anything goes. .
Last edited by z-hog; 1 week ago
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The UK's Supreme Court will take the view that this isn't a matter for the courts. Whatever they rule, they'll be accused of political bias by the losing faction, the SNP will come out in a rash and suggesting that maybe Scotland should consider independence.
Last edited by z-hog; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (213)
23.67%
Pop (222)
24.67%