Will I end up with a dead end job if I didn’t complete sixth form or an apprentice... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Apprenticeship? I heard jobs look at experience not qualifications, but I have also heard that I may end up with a dead end job or I won’t get any more than a receptionist or cleaning job.
sweehee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it makes your life a lot easier if you have a qualification to back you up. yes they do look for experience but if you want to get a better paid job, a qualification is what most employers look for.
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go for an apprenticeship if you can't do A levels, many people do very well with this sort of experience.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by jc933)
Go for an apprenticeship if you can't do A levels, many people do very well with this sort of experience.
I am capable of studying A levels but not when I am sick
Seris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Everyone can end up in a dead-end job weather being A levels, Apprenticeship or a degree. People have said time and time again that experience is better than a qualification on a piece of paper.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it makes you feel any better, one in three child minders have a degree and one in four theme park ride attendants have one .....and not in those subjects.
Today degrees are like a$$holes, everybody has one. So large numbers of graduates are ending up in none graduate jobs. If
you aren'tacademic an apprenticeship is a good way to go but even without that, great enthusiasm and attitude can stil get you the world.
A friend left with nothing, started by helping out for buttons at a local garage. His work ethic and enthusiasm got him a panel beaters job there. Many would say a dead end job.
Ten years later the same enthusiasm had led to him from his "dead end job' to having a couple of car part shops.
Sold his shops and branched out into property development. He's now a millionaire.
He's a lovely guy but if you asked him the capital of France he would say F.
You have your youth and your whole life ahead of you. Literally millions of people would give their right. arm to be in your position. Qualifications can make it easier but with the right attitude the world is your lobster.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 1 week ago
Tabathaxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you are not yet 18 you are not legally allowed just a job it had to be an apprenticeship training or full time education... and the main reason this was brought in is to stop the exact problem you have spotted !
TheRealSaifali
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
qualifications are keys to doors, this isn’t always the case but most of the time they’d pick someone with academic qualifications & work experience over just work experience. This also sets a minimum wage (not the national) you should be receiving.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Well employers choose who to employ by comparing candidates through their CVs. Yes they’ll look for experience and qualifications and all the right attributes BUT it’s all about how you present yourself and what exactly the company is looking for, which it should tell you before you apply. I would recommend when you make your CV, to adapt it slightly to each place you apply, for example if it says it needs friendly staff talk about how you have experience with customer service or directly quote the skills needed. Doing this will make the lack of qualification less important
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I am academic, I am just asking. I would never have dropped out of education and training altogether one year earlier than normal if my teacher didn’t make me ill
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tabathaxx)
if you are not yet 18 you are not legally allowed just a job it had to be an apprenticeship training or full time education... and the main reason this was brought in is to stop the exact problem you have spotted !
I had no choice but to leave both. I was in full time education at 17.
ethan4233
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am academic, I am just asking. I would never have dropped out of education and training altogether one year earlier than normal if my teacher didn’t make me ill
What do you mean? How did your teacher make you ill?
ethan4233
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When did this happen? Have you spoken to your teacher / parents about it?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ethan4233)
Yes my parents are aware of why I fell ill and forced me out of sixth form as a result. Teachers/tutor knows I am not well but they don’t know that one of my subject teachers caused it.
Anonymous #1
Happened in 2018, doctors can’t do anything so I basically lost my memory for good. I know you don’t believe me but my teachers have seen that I am having issues memorising subject content.
Qup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Not really.

It is true that employers look for individuals with qualifications, but they prefer work experience and portfolio above all. You can get a first in uni and high grades at GCSE, but all this tells the employer is that:

a) you are good at memorising (potentially useless) information.
b) you were able to pass a teacher's test.
c) you at least know your theory, but do you actually understand how to apply it to problem-solve (create solutions) or did you use pre-existing solutions and that's it?

OP, you should get either a formal education or learn the necessary skills online. For example, if you want to do programming or something in the creative industry like design, it is advised that you developed relevant skills (communication, team-work, critical thinking, problem-solving, working under pressure and time-constraints, eating a banana, etc.) so that you can create a banger of a portfolio. That portfolio will show potential employers whether or not you would be a good hire, despite not having the qualifications. Networking is also important, which can be done by going to conventions and befriending the right group of people.

Of course, you can always go and research employers what it is that they are looking for. Doing a foundation year might also help you very much.
Last edited by Qup; 6 days ago
Anonymous #1
I got half an A level, but got nothing for the past year.
ethan4233
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Happened in 2018, doctors can’t do anything so I basically lost my memory for good. I know you don’t believe me but my teachers have seen that I am having issues memorising subject content.
What did the doctors say exactly? I do believe you.
ethan4233
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes my parents are aware of why I fell ill and forced me out of sixth form as a result. Teachers/tutor knows I am not well but they don’t know that one of my subject teachers caused it.
Why don't you go back to college now and finish your A-levels?
Anonymous #1
Why don't you go back to college now and finish your A-levels?
Because I am still not well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.52%
Pop (217)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.77%
Classical (49)
5.59%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.18%