self teach maths a level Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
is it possible to self teach a level maths in one year? how should I structure it, should I do all of pure, then statistics or do some pure then some stats. what calculator do I need?
leadey
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry, I didn’t do A-levels as I did IB, but I’m guessing they are comparable. I struggled with IB math (in the end got a great grade) a lot because we had a national degree on the side and everything was taught in my native language, making it hard for me to comprehend IB questions in English. I pretty much learnt the entire 2 year course in two weeks by myself by doing maaaaany past papers and practicing at all times. I personally found it useless to drill theory over and over so I would recommend having brief knowledge of all topics and studying more profoundly as you go along. What I’m trying to say is if you are driven and motivated you can learn it by yourself, it’s not easy as some things won’t make sense but try to find a person you could ask for help.
livinginsociety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
short answer ; yes
i did in less than 6 months, it delayed like a month bc i played too much games and i got A*. near perfect score but messed up one mechanics question

i suppose you have some amount of background knowledge, which in this case is GCSE further maths at least, otherwise it will be hard but still do-able for anyone
quit all social media, use your free time at school (or it depends; if you can focus studying at home, then do so, if not, maximise making progress at school), try to do all questions and stick a transparent posit for important one. use the book for questions&web mark scheme and solve problems on notes ignoring lines.
im also finding taking in-depth notes tremendously helpful if you are planning to study maths at uni.

all pure then stats and mechanics. im assuming you are doing the new edexcel a level maths. ask for stats and mechanics resources from your teacher. you can find it on web;mathsgenie and save my exam. I did not do it bc i had no time and thought it was unnecessary.

calculator : fx 991ex classwiz
Last edited by livinginsociety; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by livinginsociety)
short answer ; yes
i did in less than 6 months, it delayed like a month bc i played too much games and i got A*. near perfect score but messed up one mechanics question

i suppose you have some amount of background knowledge, which in this case is GCSE further maths at least, otherwise it will be hard but still do-able for anyone
quit all social media, use your free time at school (or it depends; if you can focus studying at home, then do so, if not, maximise making progress at school), try to do all questions and stick a transparent posit for important one. use the book for questions&web mark scheme and solve problems on notes ignoring lines.
im also finding taking in-depth notes tremendously helpful if you are planning to study maths at uni.

all pure then stats and mechanics. im assuming you are doing the new edexcel a level maths. ask for stats and mechanics resources from your teacher. you can find it on web;mathsgenie and save my exam. I did not do it bc i had no time and thought it was unnecessary.

calculator : fx 991ex classwiz
I’m not doing this with a teacher, I’m actually self-studying, so I’m going it alone. So you’d advice me cover all Pure, and then Stats?
Anonymous #1
I haven’t got a Further Maths GCSE, but I have a 9 in GCSE Maths.
livinginsociety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m not doing this with a teacher, I’m actually self-studying, so I’m going it alone. So you’d advice me cover all Pure, and then Stats?
yes
regarding stats vs mech, stats take less time to finish compared to mechanics. personal preference though

I haven’t got a Further Maths GCSE, but I have a 9 in GCSE Maths.
its ok. just make sure you fully understand definitions of everything in the books. then pure IS fine.
Miracle989
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
is it possible to self teach a level maths in one year? how should I structure it, should I do all of pure, then statistics or do some pure then some stats. what calculator do I need?
Yes it is doable! I would do core maths first start with C1 C2 C3 C4, respectively. Then do S1 and S2. I found statistics easier than Mechanics. Good luck! Make sure you watch a lot of YouTube videos and KhanAcademy videos for topics that you don't understand.
livinginsociety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
also I did speed run the old edexcel courses too. took me about 4 months for only pure ; C1, C2 before GCSEs and C3 C4 during holidays bc school didn't tell me they changed it from old to new one.

i HIGHLY recommend you to take the new one. way better than the old one. helps you build up from the basic logical concepts. also new one has some repeated contents like binomial expansions or proofs. with old one you have to memorise the 8 trigonometric addition/product formulae and there's a deeper study in vectors including cross product.

new one is way easier in all three parts.
Last edited by livinginsociety; 1 week ago
alan55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you learn and understand whats in your textbook, do the practice questions and then do all the past papers your chance of getting an A will be very high. And dont take shortcuts. Concerning calculators personally I prefer casio calculators, here is review https://bestcalculators.net/best-cas...lator-reviews/ but you can check reviews about best math calculators to make the right choice.
Last edited by alan55; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.95%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (134)
56.07%
No (86)
35.98%

Watched Threads