scamper555
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I graduated this year with a 2:1 in Psychology, but have struggled to get work. I've got over 10 years various experience in different roles/fields. I've also volunteered 4 times in 10 years. Does anyone know companies that particularly favours mature graduates?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by scamper555)
Hi, I graduated this year with a 2:1 in Psychology, but have struggled to get work. I've got over 10 years various experience in different roles/fields. I've also volunteered 4 times in 10 years. Does anyone know companies that particularly favours mature graduates?
All companies like mature graduates, however your 'various experience in different roles/fields', your 2.1 in Psychology and you volunteering have to all demonstrate skills relevant to the job you re applying for, in order for them to add value.

If you've been working in retail, and volunteering in conservation and are applying to be a teacher, as an example, well the previous experience and volunteering aren't supportive of the job application.

Companies prefer mature applicants because by and large, they have commitments (house, family etc) and experience that makes them considered in their applications, and therefore less likely to change their minds, struggle with the working environment, move on quickly etc. But the employer is still going to pick the candidate that demonstrates the most relevant skill set, so you have to leverage your past experience to get into that position.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads