Does further maths count as a separate a level? Watch

ArabLlama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just started year 12, I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics but was planning on dropping Chemistry a few days in, as I have went to drop it my teacher has told me maths and further maths may stop me from going to Uni as they could count as one a level. I have no idea what I want to do and where I want to go so if anyone has any advice as to whether I should drop further maths or chemistry please let me know.
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ArabLlama)
I have just started year 12, I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics but was planning on dropping Chemistry a few days in, as I have went to drop it my teacher has told me maths and further maths may stop me from going to Uni as they could count as one a level. I have no idea what I want to do and where I want to go so if anyone has any advice as to whether I should drop further maths or chemistry please let me know.
It's a separate A Level What do you want to do at uni?
ArabLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protostar)
It's a separate A Level What do you want to do at uni?
I have no idea as of right now specifically, but most likely something maths / physics related
SahasRenuja
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're doing something eng related most unis require Chemistry as a subject; its best to search some unis you fancy and see the requirements for their programs that pike your interest in.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your teacher is clueless, quite frankly should not be in a position to advise students if they are this clueless.

Further math is a seperate A-level, different syllabus, different exams. Although further does build on from regular A-level maths... in the same way A-level builds off gcse.
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have no idea as of right now specifically, but most likely something maths / physics related
I think you'll be fine with Maths, Further Maths and Physics - I did exactly those subjects and I'm now studying Maths at uni, all the unis I applied to were happy with those subjects and I got offers from all 5
CCauston113
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Technically maths and further maths are separate A levels, but depending on the uni they might not take further maths into consideration with their offer - I'm fairly sure Oxford doesn't, but that might only be if you're doing 4 A levels in total.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SahasRenuja)
If you're doing something eng related most unis require Chemistry as a subject; its best to search some unis you fancy and see the requirements for their programs that pike your interest in.
Maybe if you do chemical engineering, but not: civil, mechanical, aero...

A-level Futher math is the BEST degree to do if you intend to study engineering (or physics or maths)

Best 3 a-levels; Math, further math, physics.
If you do 4 then chemistry would be next.
ArabLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protostar)
I think you'll be fine with Maths, Further Maths and Physics - I did exactly those subjects and I'm now studying Maths at uni, all the unis I applied to were happy with those subjects and I got offers from all 5
That’s great, thank you!

(Original post by mnot)
Your teacher is clueless, quite frankly should not be in a position to advise students if they are this clueless.

Further math is a seperate A-level, different syllabus, different exams. Although further does build on from regular A-level maths... in the same way A-level builds off gcse.
Yeah she’s only just became the head of year, none of the previous sixth formers like her either.

(Original post by SahasRenuja)
I definitely won’t be doing eng related, thank you for taking the time though!
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CCauston113)
Technically maths and further maths are separate A levels, but depending on the uni they might not take further maths into consideration with their offer - I'm fairly sure Oxford doesn't, but that might only be if you're doing 4 A levels in total.
This is only true for some medicine/dentistry/vet courses and some Oxbridge colleges for non-mathsy subjects. This won’t be relevant to the poster.
2childmum!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think Manchester don't count it as a separate A level, and it tends not to count for medicine. However it is fine for most other degrees/places

My daughter is studying maths, further maths and chemistry and Oxford told her this is fine for the chemistry degree she wants to do. My son took Maths, FM, Physics and music but all his offers (for physics) were based on 3 A levels and the Further Maths counted as one of the 3.
ArabLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum!)
I think Manchester don't count it as a separate A level, and it tends not to count for medicine. However it is fine for most other degrees/places

My daughter is studying maths, further maths and chemistry and Oxford told her this is fine for the chemistry degree she wants to do. My son took Maths, FM, Physics and music but all his offers (for physics) were based on 3 A levels and the Further Maths counted as one of the 3.
That’s great to hear, thank you.
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It would be great if there was a definitive list of all unis/courses that don’t count maths/further maths as 2 separate A Levels in a 3 A Level offer. Then it would be easy to link to it when this question comes up. If anyone is aware of a list like this then please post it.
ArabLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
It would be great if there was a definitive list of all unis/courses that don’t count maths/further maths as 2 separate A Levels in a 3 A Level offer. Then it would be easy to link to it when this question comes up. If anyone is aware of a list like this then please post it.
Agreed, I’ll make one in 10 years otherwise
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agreed, I’ll make one in 10 years otherwise
Great, I’ll remind you in 2029.
ArabLlama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Great, I’ll remind you in 2029.
Appreciated. I hope you’ll be more reliable than my phone reminders
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads