JamesWilliams222
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If I or anybody else was being harassed online and received violent would their be anything authorities could do 10 years on ? Or nothing ?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
10 years on, unlikely.
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
10 years on, unlikely.
Why unlikely ?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JamesWilliams222)
Why unlikely ?
I doubt enough information could be gathered after all that time. Why not report it sooner anyway?
icouldntbeasked
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why unlikely ?
Probably because it was a while ago now, plus the police will have other issues to focus on
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
I doubt enough information could be gathered after all that time. Why not report it sooner anyway?
Wouldn’t police just get conversation online even if they’ve been deleted ?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wouldn’t police just get conversation online even if they’ve been deleted ?
Maybe but we are talking about data from 0 years ago, technology has moved on and so might the evidence.

If you want proper information then talk to the police, but I don’t see the point in reporting a decade old crime that sounds pretty minor, it’s a waste of resources in my mind.
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
Maybe but we are talking about data from 0 years ago, technology has moved on and so might the evidence.

If you want proper information then talk to the police, but I don’t see the point in reporting a decade old crime that sounds pretty minor, it’s a waste of resources in my mind.
Then again would police find the harassing and threat credible if it was x amount of years ago ?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Then again would police find the harassing and threat credible if it was x amount of years ago ?
The police are understaffed, under-resourced and overstretched, a case from 10 years ago would be more hassle than it’s worth since they will have likely forgotten all about it. Also why you didn’t care about it enough years ago makes it a very low priority.

If I was handed the case I’d leave it unless I had nothing else to do, which is unlikely. If I were you I’d move on.
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
The police are understaffed, under-resourced and overstretched, a case from 10 years ago would be more hassle than it’s worth since they will have likely forgotten all about it. Also why you didn’t care about it enough years ago makes it a very low priority.

If I was handed the case I’d leave it unless I had nothing else to do, which is unlikely. If I were you I’d move on.
Basically the person who sent the abuse would get into no trouble at all even if reported
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Basically the person who sent the abuse would get into no trouble at all even if reported
Most likely. The case would be at the bottom of the pile and never seen again.

Maybe they will bother to look into it but I doubt it, still I won’t say anything for 100% since I’m not police and maybe they see more worth in it. But given it would likely be low priority even if it was current then I can’t see them bothering.
icouldntbeasked
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bio 7)

Maybe they will bother to look into it but I doubt it, still I won’t say anything for 100% since I’m not police and maybe they see more worth in it. But given it would likely be low priority even if it was current then I can’t see them bothering.
Agreed
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who did you abuse?...
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by icouldntbeasked)
Agreed
Nothing will happen
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Who did you abuse?...
Nobody myself
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)

So nothing would happen
JamesWilliams222
Rep:
?
(Original post by icouldntbeasked)
Agreed
Even if charges were pressed would the guy go to jail ?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Given there would likely be no evidence then no. Move on, the crime isn’t worth investigating.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly even if you had the evidence, and the crime was committed yesterday, they'd get off with a warning. A single threat from a teenager is really not a serious offense and would not be punishable.

(Even more so when 9 years later they haven't acted on that threat)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads