What do Business studies & Sociology IGCSE/GCSE entail? Watch

Rboardman-1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am being homeschooled for my GCSEs after dropping out of school due to mental health issues and I was wondering if anyone knew what Business studies and Sociology were about?
I was doing DT but now I need a subject to fill in for that and Business studies and Sociology are subjects that interest me.
If you could explain what options they open up for a-levels and overall how difficult the subjects are that would be great, and if possibe if you could give me any things to focus on that would be great.
´ ▽ ` )b
Farha Fahmy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rboardman-1234)
I am being homeschooled for my GCSEs after dropping out of school due to mental health issues and I was wondering if anyone knew what Business studies and Sociology were about?
I was doing DT but now I need a subject to fill in for that and Business studies and Sociology are subjects that interest me.
If you could explain what options they open up for a-levels and overall how difficult the subjects are that would be great, and if possibe if you could give me any things to focus on that would be great.
´ ▽ ` )b
I am learning business studies. it's my 3rd year. it's a very fascinating subject for me. it's about business activity, marketing, management,finance and eternal influences on business activity. it isn't a difficult option, just need to understand the main topics, though you have to write pretty much.....
ss_17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Rboardman-1234)
´ ▽ ` )b
Hello,
I did both Business Studies and Sociology in IGCSE (international GCSE) and business studies in AS (half of A levels)
Let me start with putting this out, both are writing (essay heavy) exam based subjects.

I did CIE business studies for IGCSE and in AS (CIE) it was literally a repeat based on content (ish) but the exam answering style was different(ish). IGCSE business studies was fun to learn, it wasn't difficult, scored an A and scored an A in AS too but in the exam this subject required you to know how to apply your knowledge and evaluate (this skill can be learnt by doing past years don't worry)
I personally didn't find AS Business studies enjoyful , I dreaded it (didn't love it as much as my other subjects) but I have friends who absolutely love it.
IGCSE business studies consists of you learning business activity, people in business , marketing and much more...
Ive linked the textbook I had so maybe you can simply browse through (https://www.gceguide.xyz/files/ebook...%20edition.pdf)

For CIE sociology in IGCSE I enjoyed the subject got an A*, this subject requires you to use your knowledge and apply to questions and if I remember give your opinion too (don't take my word on it). It wasn't hard to study this subject just do a lot of past years for a good grade.
From my syllabus I learnt theory and method, culture identity and socialization, social inequality, the family, education, crime, deviance and social control
It was interesting as it was something entirely different I felt.

Both are great subjects in IGCSE to study , but tbh it really kinda depends on what you want to study in uni.
Hope this helped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads