So confused about dissertation Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm currently in my summer holidays but my term starts at the end of September. This is also when my dissertation proposal is due (27th sept) and I've been given almost no information regarding how to write my proposal. I haven't been given a supervisor yet (I don't know if thats normal or not), I've also been given mixed information about who the dissertation module convenor is so I'm a bit stuck on who to ask questions to. I don't understand what you include in a diss proposal and how long its supposed to be. I don't know if the mark I get for the proposal counts towards my degree or not but I'm scared about my proposal being rejected as i have no idea how to write it properly-what happens if it does get rejected? will this impact my marks? Im just so confused
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'm currently in my summer holidays but my term starts at the end of September. This is also when my dissertation proposal is due (27th sept) and I've been given almost no information regarding how to write my proposal. I haven't been given a supervisor yet (I don't know if thats normal or not), I've also been given mixed information about who the dissertation module convenor is so I'm a bit stuck on who to ask questions to. I don't understand what you include in a diss proposal and how long its supposed to be. I don't know if the mark I get for the proposal counts towards my degree or not but I'm scared about my proposal being rejected as i have no idea how to write it properly-what happens if it does get rejected? will this impact my marks? Im just so confused
Hello there,

I understand why you may be concerned with this. For my course the proposal was not marked and was just put as an incentive to get students to think about their idea over the summer and to hit the ground running when they return in final year. This may be the case for your university. If you haven't received a proper brief about what is required or information about the marking then it is more likely it is not treated as an assignment.

I would however give the university a call to see if they can connect you to the right contact to confirm this.

For me personally between September and December my Dissertation idea changed a lot, so my first proposal was completely different to my final idea.

I hope this helps,
Tom :yeah:
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The proposal is usually just a quick outline of a question, why the question matters, and the initial points of research (so little questions that feed into the big one)

You'd generally expect to be assigned a supervisor based on what the proposal says (this ensures you get someone with sufficient expertise in the area you are writing about)

Never seen one marked nor never had to mark one myself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?