withered.rose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What laptops do you recommend for university and studying. I am starting next year so am looking for laptops to buy for then. Must be of good quality, decent weight and of reasonable price. If you have any recommendations or history with the laptops I would be grateful to hear how they were, positive and negative. Also which laptops to avoid would also help
Tom.Wood19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
What course are you going on? This might influence the specifications.
withered.rose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Tom.Wood19)
What course are you going on? This might influence the specifications.
Well it would only be for note taking and writing so not like top spec or anything, have heard a lot of ppl say they don’t need one for year 1 but I’m a slow writer and don’t know if I’d keep up with writing notes
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by withered.rose)
Well it would only be for note taking and writing so not like top spec or anything, have heard a lot of ppl say they don’t need one for year 1 but I’m a slow writer and don’t know if I’d keep up with writing notes
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...89730-pdt.html

this is the best value laptop money can buy at that price point. but it was £429 a few days ago, though so maybe hold out to see if it goes back down again

unfortunately, all laptops degrade and i strongly encourage you to invest in a 3 year warranty.

avid HPs.
Tom.Wood19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Next question is how much do you want to spend?
If you aren't taking a desktop pc, then this pc is probably not just going to end up being used for notes.
The above pc linked by A Rolling Stone is pretty good, but if you go out looking for one on your own, here are some tips.
8GB is what I would consider the perfect amount of RAM. 4GB can be a little restrictive, and 16Gb is overkill.
256GB is just enough storage for basic use, but you may need to buy an external HDD for large files. 128GB is far too small really.

This is what I would buy as a comparison to the above laptop. Its roughly the same price, however the cpu is faster.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...93336-pdt.html
withered.rose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...89730-pdt.html

this is the best value laptop money can buy at that price point. but it was £429 a few days ago, though so maybe hold out to see if it goes back down again

unfortunately, all laptops degrade and i strongly encourage you to invest in a 3 year warranty.

avid HPs.
Thanks, this was really helpful and thanks for the link. I am looking on curry’s for cheaper alternatives however, though this does look good
withered.rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom.Wood19)
Next question is how much do you want to spend?
If you aren't taking a desktop pc, then this pc is probably not just going to end up being used for notes.
The above pc linked by A Rolling Stone is pretty good, but if you go out looking for one on your own, here are some tips.
8GB is what I would consider the perfect amount of RAM. 4GB can be a little restrictive, and 16Gb is overkill.
256GB is just enough storage for basic use, but you may need to buy an external HDD for large files. 128GB is far too small really.

This is what I would buy as a comparison to the above laptop. Its roughly the same price, however the cpu is faster.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...93336-pdt.html
Thank you, this was really helpful, and I really don’t understand the specs of a laptop so this is great to keep in mind, thanks a lot for the link, this is a bit more accessible in price for me
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Macbook. They’re the biggest waste of money as you probably won’t utilise half it’s features.
withered.rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Macbook. They’re the biggest waste of money as you probably won’t utilise half it’s features.
Thanks anon but I was never willing to spend that amount of money on a laptop anyway, so was never planning on it. But thanks for your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?