username4948672
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi my daughter is in currently final year of A level-her predicted grades are A*(BIO) A*(Chem)A(Maths)- her Ucat score 705 and band 2 in SJT.

Her GCSE gardes in All the sciences 9/Maths-9/Eng-Lang 9/Eng Lit-6.

She wants to apply King college/Birmingham /Keele/Imperial/Bristol/cardiff...

How can we get right advice if she should apply any of these or not with her all grades and Ucat score.
Advertisement
clockwork30
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your daughter has really good grades and will probably get interviews in most places

I'd go for:
-Kings
-Keele
-Bristol
-Birms

If she's also planning to do BMAT, then she can apply to imperial
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Khushi Kumar)
Hi my daughter is in currently final year of A level-her predicted grades are A*(BIO) A*(Chem)A(Maths)- her Ucat score 705 and band 2 in SJT.

How can we get right advice if she should apply any of these or not with her all grades and Ucat score.
her UKCAT is very good. What were the rest of her GCSEs? A lot of unis want consistently good GCSE grades. Not sure exactly but like 8/9s in most subjects.
The.One.And.Only
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by replyplzbish)
her UKCAT is very good. What were the rest of her GCSEs? A lot of unis want consistently good GCSE grades. Not sure exactly but like 8/9s in most subjects.
Did she only do the 6 you mentioned?
username4948672
Rep:
?
(Original post by The.One.And.Only)
Did she only do the 6 you mentioned?
No No she has her grades in GCSE- BIo- 9
Chem-9
Physic-9
Maths- 9
English Language-9
Geography- 9
History -8
Computer Scienc-8
Food Tech-8
French-A
Only she got 6 in English literature
Advertisement
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No No she has her grades in GCSE- BIo- 9
Chem-9
Physic-9
Maths- 9
English Language-9
Geography- 9
History -8
Computer Scienc-8
Food Tech-8
French-A
Only she got 6 in English literature
Oh that makes things better then. I don't think English Lit will matter too much (but double check the requirements). A 6 is still a B isn't it? So that should be fine. What's most important is that she has loads of A*s so her GCSEs are lookin good
username4948672
Rep:
?
She can also think of Bristol and Nottingham- I have heard birmingham is very competitive is that true ?
Yes she is planning to apply for Imperial and rest 3 university she wants to choose under UCAT.
Thats why want to get some feedback from experience people . Where she should with her grades and Ucat score she should apply for.
I have also heard that 705 with SJT band 2 is quite low for King college so she was very disappointed.

Please share your experience/feedback that would be helpful.
Advertisement
username4948672
Rep:
?
Oh that makes things better then. I don't think English Lit will matter too much (but double check the requirements). A 6 is still a B isn't it? So that should be fine. What's most important is that she has loads of A*s so her GCSEs are lookin good
yes luckily she has good gsce grades and her predicted grades are A*(Bio)/A*(Chem) A(Maths).
Only with UCAT score 705 with SJT band 2 I am thinking where it is low or average?
The.One.And.Only
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes luckily she has good gsce grades and her predicted grades are A*(Bio)/A*(Chem) A(Maths).
Only with UCAT score 705 with SJT band 2 I am thinking where it is low or average?
That's an above average score, definitely, but the unis you've mentioned, especially King's, really use the UCAT in their selection and so they may have a much higher cutoff than other unis. Average is usually around 630 so she should be proud! King's is really competitive, but most other schools would consider that an amazing score.
Advertisement
username4948672
Rep:
?
(Original post by The.One.And.Only)
That's an above average score, definitely, but the unis you've mentioned, especially King's, really use the UCAT in their selection and so they may have a much higher cutoff than other unis. Average is usually around 630 so she should be proud! King's is really competitive, but most other schools would consider that an amazing score.
Hmm. what about Birmingham/Nottingham/bristol/newcastle/cardiff which can be most suitable in her case- out of these who looks on UCAT most any guess?
The.One.And.Only
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle I would say. Cutoff in previous years has been around 2720 and thats mainly how they choose for interviews
Advertisement
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm. what about Birmingham/Nottingham/bristol/newcastle/cardiff which can be most suitable in her case- out of these who looks on UCAT most any guess?
definitely not cardiff- i got an offer from them with 585 or something
username4948672
Rep:
?
Ok what about birmingham/bristol and nottingham what are chances in these?-any suggestion
Advertisement
Tabathaxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I seem to say this a lot but do check if she might be entitled to a reduced offer due to postcode gcse school or a level school ... or various other criteria ... newcastle medicine do this with a separate form (called partners) bristol I know is automatic and notts too I think automatic but please do check ... it gives a tiny bit of breathing room as let's her drop 1 grade in 1 subject and still get in ! dont be afraid to use those schemes where you can they are there to help and wont b mentioned once she is in the uni ... my daughter used it and is doing Brill just started year 3 at newcastle.
username4948672
Rep:
?
definitely not cardiff- i got an offer from them with 585 or something
Hi any one can suggest how safe bristol could be for my daughters as per grades and score??
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi any one can suggest how safe bristol could be for my daughters as per grades and score??
Bristol are UCAT heavy and therefore no one can really say. They interview the top 20% of their applicants but based on last year therefore the only way to say 100% would be with a score in around the top 2%. Last year the cutoff was 690 and it may go up slightly but no one can really say
username4948672
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Bristol are UCAT heavy and therefore no one can really say. They interview the top 20% of their applicants but based on last year therefore the only way to say 100% would be with a score in around the top 2%. Last year the cutoff was 690 and it may go up slightly but no one can really say
That means it can be risiky her case as she got 705 with SJT band 2??
Advertisement
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That means it can be risiky her case as she got 705 with SJT band 2??
The sjt band is irrelevant. Her score will likely put her in the top decile or just outside it which is a great score. There have historically only been cutoffs above 700 6 years ago when there was an error in one of the tests . It is however still risky as Bristol is one of the most applied to unis and they don’t actually interview that many people compared to their applicants so it genuinely just depends on who applies, what their score are and potentially how much your daughter wants to go to Bristol and how risk averse she is
meddad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'm also a parent (of a current Med student).

To get the best advice you should post on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...22970&page=152
You should list all your daughter's GCSE results by subject, with predicted A levels and her UCAT score. Also give a list of the Med Schools your daughter is particularly interested in - I think you later mentioned Nottingham and Newcastle as well as those above.

Until last year I used to give a lot of advice on that thread but it was taking up too much of my time, so I've dropped it. However there are quite a few people still giving advice on there, particularly @Ganfyd who is also a parent and who has been helping people with her knowledge of the different entry requirements for 5 years now.

I noticed that you may have been put off of King's by reputed hign UCAT requirements, but my recollection is that the combination of your daughter's UCAT score and GCSE grades (which you listed in full in post 5) would be fine based on historical cut off scores. It's true that a score of 705 is about average for a King's applicant, but there have been applicants with scores as low as 640-650 who have got interviews because of their excellent GCSE grades (which your daughter has achieved) ie: it's the combination of UCAT and GCSE which counts, not one or the other.

She will be a strong contender for the vast majority of UCAT Med Schools, and many will be almost guaranteed for interview (based on historical cut off scores). She should probably avoid Keele because they use criteria which don't match your daughter's strengths in GCSE and UCAT ie: she has better options.

Anyway, as i said before, I have not kept up to date this year, so your best current advice will be from posting on the thread I mentioned above.

Good luck
username4948672
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
I'm also a parent (of a current Med student).

To get the best advice you should post on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...22970&page=152
You should list all your daughter's GCSE results by subject, with predicted A levels and her UCAT score. Also give a list of the Med Schools your daughter is particularly interested in - I think you later mentioned Nottingham and Newcastle as well as those above.

Until last year I used to give a lot of advice on that thread but it was taking up too much of my time, so I've dropped it. However there are quite a few people still giving advice on there, particularly @Ganfyd who is also a parent and who has been helping people with her knowledge of the different entry requirements for 5 years now.

I noticed that you may have been put off of King's by reputed hign UCAT requirements, but my recollection is that the combination of your daughter's UCAT score and GCSE grades (which you listed in full in post 5) would be fine based on historical cut off scores. It's true that a score of 705 is about average for a King's applicant, but there have been applicants with scores as low as 640-650 who have got interviews because of their excellent GCSE grades (which your daughter has achieved) ie: it's the combination of UCAT and GCSE which counts, not one or the other.

She will be a strong contender for the vast majority of UCAT Med Schools, and many will be almost guaranteed for interview (based on historical cut off scores). She should probably avoid Keele because they use criteria which don't match your daughter's strengths in GCSE and UCAT ie: she has better options.

Anyway, as i said before, I have not kept up to date this year, so your best current advice will be from posting on the thread I mentioned above.

Good luck
Thank you so much for your advice. I will take your advice and post on suggested link. Thanks a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.59%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.49%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.69%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.5%

Watched Threads