I don't know what I want to do in the future Watch

itsokayitsokayy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I feel like I'm the only one who has no idea what they want to do in the future. All of my friends have an idea of what they want to do in the future, whether it be as their profession or what they want to do at uni and after uni with their degree. I have no clue what I want to work as in the future or what I should study in university. I jut said I would do psychology, but I don't even think that's the right choice.

How do you figure out what you want to do? Am I the only one who feels like this?
n2001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by itsokayitsokayy)
So I feel like I'm the only one who has no idea what they want to do in the future. All of my friends have an idea of what they want to do in the future, whether it be as their profession or what they want to do at uni and after uni with their degree. I have no clue what I want to work as in the future or what I should study in university. I jut said I would do psychology, but I don't even think that's the right choice.

How do you figure out what you want to do? Am I the only one who feels like this?
You should research some careers out. For example the salary, job security after you finish the degree and personal fulfilment. First of all what’s ur favourite subject currently? And what’s the main priority you look for in a job?
Fekky.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People finish degrees and have no idea what their going to do - in fact, if you do your research you'll find many people in jobs right now, have jobs completely unrelated to their degree. Just do what you enjoy - thats always a good place to start. Then start to branch out from there, for instance you said psychology - do you enjoy it? How is it compared to your other subjects? Is there a subject that really interests you e.g. Law? Have a look online/YouTube at the day in the life of a _____ and read more about specific careers. My best advice tho is to just find something that you enjoy, interests you and are (kind of) good at (You can always improve) and then see what career paths that can lead to.
Last edited by Fekky.; 1 week ago
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This may just be a cultural thing, but I thoroughly don't understand why you would bother getting yourself £50k deep into debt when you have absolutely no idea what you want to do with your degree. A degree in Psychology is... useless unless you actually go into research by getting yourself a PhD and that's years of commitment and money spent. Don't go to university if you don't know why you're doing it. Take a year out to travel instead.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fekky.)
People finish degrees and have no idea what their idea
These people are idiots.
ProbablyPallas
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey

I had no idea either until a few weeks ago. If you don't know what you won't to do don't be afraid to take a gap year after sixth form to work it out. Also check out some MOOCs to find out your interests and enhance your personal statement. I was set to do Classics and English at uni until I did a MOOC and realised I hated it, so it's definitely worth it.
Fekky.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
These people are idiots.
No it's not. Life isn't a race, its a marathon. Stop looking at what everyone else is doing and focus on you. Society makes us think you have to have your life figured out before 25 or your a failure - Look at many successful entrepeneuers e.g Jeff Bozos (and plenty more) they started their careers in later life and are still hugely successful - you can even ask people you may know, plenty of them aren't doing the thing they thought they would be doing when they was in their teens. You may have your life set out to be a dentist, graduate from uni and start a job as a dentist to realise you don't like it. Its just how life works, you take everything at your own pace.
itsokayitsokayy
Rep:
?
(Original post by n2001)
You should research some careers out. For example the salary, job security after you finish the degree and personal fulfilment. First of all what’s ur favourite subject currently? And what’s the main priority you look for in a job?
I like psychology, but there is not really a point in studying that in uni because I've heard its a pretty pointless degree unless you go into further study. The main thing I would want out of a job is a stable income, but not to end up being someone that goes to work every day hating what they do. If that makes sense
unaManzana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in a similar position to you.
Im 23 and completely lost in life. All of my friends have nice jobs and seems to have sorted their lives out. Me on the other hand, a complete failure.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No it's not. Life isn't a race, its a marathon. Stop looking at what everyone else is doing and focus on you. Society makes us think you have to have your life figured out before 25 or your a failure - Look at many successful entrepeneuers e.g Jeff Bozos (and plenty more) they started their careers in later life and are still hugely successful - you can even ask people you may know, plenty of them aren't doing the thing they thought they would be doing when they was in their teens. You may have your life set out to be a dentist, graduate from uni and start a job as a dentist to realise you don't like it. Its just how life works, you take everything at your own pace.
These people are idiots for getting into debt for a degree they don't know what to do with.
itsokayitsokayy
Rep:
?
People finish degrees and have no idea what their going to do - in fact, if you do your research you'll find many people in jobs right now, have jobs completely unrelated to their degree. Just do what you enjoy - thats always a good place to start. Then start to branch out from there, for instance you said psychology - do you enjoy it? How is it compared to your other subjects? Is there a subject that really interests you e.g. Law? Have a look online/YouTube at the day in the life of a _____ and read more about specific careers. My best advice tho is to just find something that you enjoy, interests you and are (kind of) good at (You can always improve) and then see what career paths that can lead to.
I think psychology interests me because I find human behaviour to be so interesting to learn about. I also did Geography and English Literature at A-level and they just didn't interest me the same way. English was close to being as interesting as psychology because I love to read, but analysing text and having to stick to the main traits of the text made it difficult to enjoy.

That is a really good idea about looking at days in the life within certain professions though, thank you. I will definitely look at that
Fekky.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
These people are idiots for getting into debt for a degree they don't know what to do with.
Is it your debt? why do you care?
itsokayitsokayy
Rep:
?
This may just be a cultural thing, but I thoroughly don't understand why you would bother getting yourself £50k deep into debt when you have absolutely no idea what you want to do with your degree. A degree in Psychology is... useless unless you actually go into research by getting yourself a PhD and that's years of commitment and money spent. Don't go to university if you don't know why you're doing it. Take a year out to travel instead.
No, I completely understand where you're coming from, that's why I am taking a gap year right now to figure this stuff out so I know my money will be spent well on the right uni course for me. I am trying to stay away from doing a psychology course because I know it won't be all that useful in the future, but it is the only thing that sticks out for me, that's why I want to know how I could find anything else that I would find equally interesting.
itsokayitsokayy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
Hey

I had no idea either until a few weeks ago. If you don't know what you won't to do don't be afraid to take a gap year after sixth form to work it out. Also check out some MOOCs to find out your interests and enhance your personal statement. I was set to do Classics and English at uni until I did a MOOC and realised I hated it, so it's definitely worth it.
Hey,
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what is a MOOC and where can I sign up for one?
itsokayitsokayy
Rep:
?
(Original post by unaManzana)
I'm in a similar position to you.
Im 23 and completely lost in life. All of my friends have nice jobs and seems to have sorted their lives out. Me on the other hand, a complete failure.
I doubt you're a complete failure, 23 is young. The fact that you're not settling and still trying to find out what you really want to do shows you're not really stuck. I guess these things just take different amounts of time for everyone. You've really helped me by sharing this, I don't feel like the only one anymore.
ProbablyPallas
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by itsokayitsokayy)
Hey,
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what is a MOOC and where can I sign up for one?
It's okay! It's an online course open to the general public for free (you can pay about £30 for a certificate if you want) run by universities that are like modules basically there's a couple of different websites that run them, I'll have to double check, but if you just type in MOOCs it should come up and you'll be able to find your way from there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.4%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (70)
56%
No (47)
37.6%

Watched Threads