The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Exeter for Modern Languages

I am applying to uni this year (for german and chinese) and totally stuck between this course - I like the modules on both pretty equally. I like that Newcastle has a building that is dedicated to modern languages - the whole library - and loads of resources online and extra help or extra language course for free it seems like its not just an afterthought which lanaguages seems to be at lots of unis - exeter modern languages doesn't have its own building. But exeter has more prestigeous partner university's in china and is also a good course so i'm kinda stuck - if any students of either of these courses could talk about why they like/dislike their course that would be super helpful - it's a really split descion (also newcastle is cheaper but that's not the best way to make my choice lol)
I can't help overall for that not having attended those unis.

BUT you could consider applying to both... and if one rejects you you have the option of the other.

If you're stuck you could also consider what your life might be like in each uni... like... the location.. what are the students like in each uni... where might you fit in more?
I don’t know how much or little this will matter to you but Exeter has a real reputation for being full of RAHs who weren’t clever enough for Oxbridge.
Reply 3
I don’t know if this is too late but I’m in the exact same situation I applied for spanish german and portuguese and I’m stuck between Exeter and Newcastle I got a reduced offer from Exeter if I firm it and an unconditional at Newcastle. I really liked both courses equally but the prestige thing really bugs me. I refused to apply for Oxbridge Cos of the atmosphere and I personally found the courses to be boring and outdated. I’m gonna go to offer days for both but I feel newcastle is just a better place to be, especially given Exeter is known for being oxbridge reject central injected with a bit of daddy’s money and I’m not quite sure that’s up my alley.
Reply 4
Original post by e_motty
I don’t know if this is too late but I’m in the exact same situation I applied for spanish german and portuguese and I’m stuck between Exeter and Newcastle I got a reduced offer from Exeter if I firm it and an unconditional at Newcastle. I really liked both courses equally but the prestige thing really bugs me. I refused to apply for Oxbridge Cos of the atmosphere and I personally found the courses to be boring and outdated. I’m gonna go to offer days for both but I feel newcastle is just a better place to be, especially given Exeter is known for being oxbridge reject central injected with a bit of daddy’s money and I’m not quite sure that’s up my alley.

I went with Exeter in the end because I just think it will be better for me, I really liked Newcastle but Exeter is a bit more prestigious and therefore had a better partner uni (which is important because for Chinese I have to study abroad for a year in China) so literally, for me, it just came down to the year abroad and that many (though not all) Newcastle graduates work up North after graduating and as all my family lives more south I would prefer to work down south eventually. But if you got an unconditional from Newcastle then I see why that would tip the scales for you - I put it as my insurance and i would be very happy to go to either tbh (my offer from Exeter means that if I get a C in physics i can still go to Exeter whereas Newcastle want BBB so also it just makes me way more chill)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
I’m still torn. I haven’t made a final decision yet but I’m going on offer days so hopefully that will help. Obviously we are studying different languages so your concern about Chinese partners doesn’t affect me at all, but your comment on prestige is interesting. I’m torn as all my school life I’ve been told to apply oxbridge by my school (never ever by my parents) and I didn’t in the end, and this idea of prestige really bugs me. Is Exeter that much more prestigious? I don’t even know. Does it even matter? Again I don’t know. I was equally impressed by the Newcastle and Exeter courses in terms of their content which I can’t say the same for Leeds and Sheffield. I’m also from the South so I get your point about family though ultimately I could and would live in most places (within reason!) but maybe that’s just the linguist in me idk.
Reply 6
Original post by e_motty
I’m still torn. I haven’t made a final decision yet but I’m going on offer days so hopefully that will help. Obviously we are studying different languages so your concern about Chinese partners doesn’t affect me at all, but your comment on prestige is interesting. I’m torn as all my school life I’ve been told to apply oxbridge by my school (never ever by my parents) and I didn’t in the end, and this idea of prestige really bugs me. Is Exeter that much more prestigious? I don’t even know. Does it even matter? Again I don’t know. I was equally impressed by the Newcastle and Exeter courses in terms of their content which I can’t say the same for Leeds and Sheffield. I’m also from the South so I get your point about family though ultimately I could and would live in most places (within reason!) but maybe that’s just the linguist in me idk.

I would say that Exeter is for sure slightly more prestigious than Newcastle but Newcastle is still a good uni and so it doesn't matter much but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all - I chose not to apply to Oxbridge despite the prestige because I didn't like the sound of the language courses there so at the end of the day where you want to go is way more important if you weren't persuaded by the Oxbridge prestige. I think that it depends on what you want to work in because I want to work for the civil service and even if I don't I think I would prefer to work in the London south-east area not up north or move tp Germany lol - I just thought the graduate prospects for Exeter students seemed slightly better, like with salary and the kinds of jobs people went into compared to Newcastle but yeh for me it was mostly that slight bit of prestige - generally the lower the uni offer it means they are less 'prestigious' so like Exeter doesn't give out unconditional apart from to students who have done their A-levels already - but at the end of the day, they are tiny differences. and as you said my main reason for picking Exeter doesn't apply to you, and Newcastle is a really cheap place to live, both have benefits just for me when it came down to it I saw Exeter as slightly better (i.e. I know the partner uni thing doesn't apply to you but the reason it has a better partner uni than Newcastle is because its more prestigious worldwide therefore if you wanted to work abroad employers are more likely to have heard of it)
Reply 7
Original post by emilybond:)
I would say that Exeter is for sure slightly more prestigious than Newcastle but Newcastle is still a good uni and so it doesn't matter much but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all - I chose not to apply to Oxbridge despite the prestige because I didn't like the sound of the language courses there so at the end of the day where you want to go is way more important if you weren't persuaded by the Oxbridge prestige. I think that it depends on what you want to work in because I want to work for the civil service and even if I don't I think I would prefer to work in the London south-east area not up north or move tp Germany lol - I just thought the graduate prospects for Exeter students seemed slightly better, like with salary and the kinds of jobs people went into compared to Newcastle but yeh for me it was mostly that slight bit of prestige - generally the lower the uni offer it means they are less 'prestigious' so like Exeter doesn't give out unconditional apart from to students who have done their A-levels already - but at the end of the day, they are tiny differences. and as you said my main reason for picking Exeter doesn't apply to you, and Newcastle is a really cheap place to live, both have benefits just for me when it came down to it I saw Exeter as slightly better (i.e. I know the partner uni thing doesn't apply to you but the reason it has a better partner uni than Newcastle is because its more prestigious worldwide therefore if you wanted to work abroad employers are more likely to have heard of it)

See and that’s the problem i feel like if I go to Exeter I’ll get caught up in cliques again and my current sixth form is incredibly cliquey, but it does have a good reputation/is prestigious. Whereas Newcastle is much more diverse I feel like and isnt cliquey but then I worry I’ll come out of uni and won’t be able to get a decent job. Idk what I wanna do yet but I do worry that if go Newcastle the prestige thing will mater. But then will it matter or is it just scaremongering, or rather to what degree does prestige matter. I know newcastle has campuses in Malaysia and Singapore so it must be internationally recognised right? Idk lol
Reply 8
Am also applying to Exeter for french and chinese but really dont know whether to firm it or not (between Exeter/Edinburgh/Manchester) I’m gonna go visit them all again on offer holder days and see which I prefer best, I am with you guys though, I really have no clue which to firm :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Louis49
Am also applying to Exeter for french and chinese but really dont know whether to firm it or not (between Exeter/Edinburgh/Manchester) I’m gonna go visit them all again on offer holder days and see which I prefer best, I am with you guys though, I really have no clue which to firm :frown:

I also got an offer from Edi but it was much higher than Exeter so for peace of mind I went with Exeter also I just liked it more but yeh going to see is defo important
Reply 10
Original post by e_motty
See and that’s the problem i feel like if I go to Exeter I’ll get caught up in cliques again and my current sixth form is incredibly cliquey, but it does have a good reputation/is prestigious. Whereas Newcastle is much more diverse I feel like and isnt cliquey but then I worry I’ll come out of uni and won’t be able to get a decent job. Idk what I wanna do yet but I do worry that if go Newcastle the prestige thing will mater. But then will it matter or is it just scaremongering, or rather to what degree does prestige matter. I know newcastle has campuses in Malaysia and Singapore so it must be internationally recognised right? Idk lol

Yeh it's defo good its only a small difference between the two, I think the prestige in UK might differ more than internationally
Reply 11
Original post by emilybond:)
I also got an offer from Edi but it was much higher than Exeter so for peace of mind I went with Exeter also I just liked it more but yeh going to see is defo important

It was much higher!? I haven’t had a response from Edinburgh yet (yikes), what was your offer if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 12
Original post by Louis49
It was much higher!? I haven’t had a response from Edinburgh yet (yikes), what was your offer if you don’t mind me asking?

Well much higher is maybe an exaggeration but it was ABB but for Exeter I can get ABC or AAD and still get in which is useful for me because i'm much worse at one subject so getting AA isn't hard its getting that last B that would be a risk for me so maybe higher was the wrong word just inflexible i suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending