Going to miss the first 2 weeks of class Watch

RainbowParrot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice. I'm going to study undergrad at manchester this year, but I'm an international student and it's looking like I physically won't be able to be there for perhaps the first 2 weeks. It sucks but there's nothing really I can do.

I know freshers would be fun but I'm okay with missing it, what I'm worried about is missing the intro weeks of classes and such. Has anyone ever started late? Do you have any advice for catching up and such? Thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know but if your picture is your dog, I love it
RainbowParrot
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don’t know but if your picture is your dog, I love it
lol thanks
Luanaaaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by RainbowParrot)
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice. I'm going to study undergrad at manchester this year, but I'm an international student and it's looking like I physically won't be able to be there for perhaps the first 2 weeks. It sucks but there's nothing really I can do.

I know freshers would be fun but I'm okay with missing it, what I'm worried about is missing the intro weeks of classes and such. Has anyone ever started late? Do you have any advice for catching up and such? Thanks
Seems like a sucky position. theres not much you can do and sometimes Freshers extends into the 1st week everyone starts.
Intro weeks are more of an overview of whats going to happen, so I can't imagine you missing much in that perspective.
As for social groups, you've got a harder time. But hey, everyone is new. you'll have to push to talk to people even more than others but I dont see how suddenly all the 'friendship doors' close after the 1st 6 days.

We're 1st years, yeah we may be 18-19 but Kids are the territorial ones. As adults it would be pathetic of anyone to shut someone out all because they didn't make friends with the 'group' a few days earlier.

Keep it calm, talk, have a good time and I'm sure you've found a way to let your department know you'll be missing those days and I'm sure you know to seek out support in the work if you've missed anything.

Enjoy!
RainbowParrot
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Luanaaaa)
Seems like a sucky position. theres not much you can do and sometimes Freshers extends into the 1st week everyone starts.
Intro weeks are more of an overview of whats going to happen, so I can't imagine you missing much in that perspective.
As for social groups, you've got a harder time. But hey, everyone is new. you'll have to push to talk to people even more than others but I dont see how suddenly all the 'friendship doors' close after the 1st 6 days.

We're 1st years, yeah we may be 18-19 but Kids are the territorial ones. As adults it would be pathetic of anyone to shut someone out all because they didn't make friends with the 'group' a few days earlier.

Keep it calm, talk, have a good time and I'm sure you've found a way to let your department know you'll be missing those days and I'm sure you know to seek out support in the work if you've missed anything.

Enjoy!
Thanks! Yeah, I've been on the phone to my international officer and I'm emailing my course head today. I've already enrolled in classes and it seems I can register to the uni online, so I think it'll be okay (I'll have to make sure to catch up with lessons).

Friend-wise yeah, it'll be a bit harder - I have connected with coursemates already via Facebook but I'll make sure to join societies, go to events and such!

Thanks for the awesome response
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?