The Student Room Group

Is aqa computer science really as easy as the paper makes it seem

So I went through paper one and paper two of AQA GCSE computer science and OMG they are easy as Sh*t. Well no not really but compared to what my class tests have been and what we’re doing in class they’re easy as sh*t. I was able to score a score on both that I’d be more than happy with and this is someone who tortures themself to pass the class tests.

Why do we have to program in python all the Algorithms and why do we have to memorise all the code in class when you don’t have to do that you just have to understand what your doing for the test.

Someone please explain it to me I’m annoyed
Well obviously GCSE programming/algorithms aren't going to be anywhere near as advanced as the sort of stuff people study at A-Level or University, but it does seem really strange to be memorising code (I'd really hope you wouldn't be doing that at higher levels). Programming is a skill all about problem solving and computational thinking, it's not something you can memorise because every problem needs you to think about the solution differently, so you need to be able to learn new ways of thinking, it's not like an essay type subject where you're expected to recall things. But as long as you understand all the main programming concepts and know how to apply them then that's the main thing, which it sounds like you do.

The reason for programming in Python (or any other real programming language) is to get practice with problem solving and computational thinking, then having a program you're able to run, see the output, and test whether your logic is right or not.

Also, when it comes to answering your programming questions in the exam, all the concepts that you learn in Python are the same, whether it's flowcharts or hand-written code you've still got for/while loops, if/else, variables, lists, boolean logic, strings, numbers, etc. The exact syntax you use for hand-written code in the exam isn't too important (as long as the examiner can see that you're able to understand those programming constructs and write structured code).

If you're finding it easy, then that's a good thing :smile: Hopefully that means you'll have no trouble in the final exam, and have an easier time later on if you pick up any Computing-related subjects at A-Level or university too.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending