:eyeball:
Archetypally
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zara456674)
is it false tho?
Yes, on a few accounts. Firstly, it's not a 'gracious provision' when it's freedom for an entire nation, something that anyone should be entitled to. China hasn't granted Hong Kong freedom comparative to their previous political situations if anything they've consistently detracted from it. Any article you read into the context for the riots should be sufficient to indicate that to you, and if you haven't I would suggest looking into it. It's certainly interesting but incredibly unfortunate.
zara456674
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Archetypally)
Yes, on a few accounts. Firstly, it's not a 'gracious provision' when it's freedom for an entire nation, something that anyone should be entitled to. China hasn't granted Hong Kong freedom comparative to their previous political situations if anything they've consistently detracted from it. Any article you read into the context for the riots should be sufficient to indicate that to you, and if you haven't I would suggest looking into it. It's certainly interesting but incredibly unfortunate.
yeah I'm not reading that

bootlicking is still bootlicking, they can protest without being traitorous
Last edited by zara456674; 1 week ago
Archetypally
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah I'm not reading that

bootlicking is still bootlicking, they can protest without being traitorous
I'm willing to forgive that grand and traitorous action, of disrespecting a song, considering HK police have been torturing people in hospitals.

It seems to be redundant to rule out protest of that nature when it's declared 'traitorous' under extreme regimes, who of course are more incentivised than any to suppress the protest, otherwise, in these circumstances, how would you hope to communicate your message?
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why are you so willing to defend the Chinese government, OP?
zara456674
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm willing to forgive that grand and traitorous action, of disrespecting a song, considering HK police have been torturing people in hospitals.

It seems to be redundant to rule out protest of that nature when it's declared 'traitorous' under extreme regimes, who of course are more incentivised than any to suppress the protest, otherwise, in these circumstances, how would you hope to communicate your message?
so if I started waving a russian flag in the middle of times square nyc saying 'please help us russia and fight our government', according to your logic that wouldn't be traitorous
Archetypally
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so if I started waving a russian flag in the middle of times square nyc saying 'please help us russia and fight our government', according to your logic that wouldn't be traitorous
No, and you clearly don't understand 'my logic' since, by your own admission, you aren't reading what I'm saying. I said it was warranted in certain circumstances, under extreme regimes. China is built around fairly substantial suppression, so while I'm not condoning violent or extreme action in response, I am saying that just because an extreme regime says something innocuous like not respecting an anthem is 'traitorous', I do not believe it unethical or morally wrong to do so for protesters.
zara456674
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, and you clearly don't understand 'my logic' since, by your own admission, you aren't reading what I'm saying. I said it was warranted in certain circumstances, under extreme regimes. China is built around fairly substantial suppression, so while I'm not condoning violent or extreme action in response, I am saying that just because an extreme regime says something innocuous like not respecting an anthem is 'traitorous', I do not believe it unethical or morally wrong to do so for protesters.
no exceptions

just because you think their government is oppressive doesn't mean the chinese do
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
good, well deserved
Archetypally
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just because you think their government is oppressive doesn't mean the chinese do
Yes, that is true, I fail to see how that changes what I'm saying.

"No exceptions"
There fairly clearly is a significant difference between wishing violent war upon your own nation that is objectively more free than Hong Kong, and disrespecting a song.

Of course, this is my opinion, I'm in part referring to morals, which change from person to person, but you don't have to look far to see that the consensus on this issue is that China is in the wrong.

If you still hit 'no exceptions', then don't bother responding, we've obviously hit an impasse. You asked me for my opinion without having the courtesy of reading it, so I probably won't indulge yours further.
Last edited by Archetypally; 1 week ago
Lumos_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good for the people of Hong Kong. What is disrespectful is for the Chinese Government to deny Hong Kongers the right to universal suffrage and democracy PROMISED to them in the Basic Law created by the Chinese Communist Party. Also don't call them rioters, its not your job to be the People's Daily and spread their propaganda. Freedom fighters.Name:  scmp_03aug19_ns_rally205.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  63.0 KB
Last edited by Lumos_; 1 week ago
Lumos_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _gcx)
good, well deserved
agreeeeed
Moose-er
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah yes disrepecting the anthem is so horrid and wrong and should totally be banned. Stop cucking yourself for the Chinese communist party. Hong Kongers don't want to be part of the same system of a mainland but they're 'traitors' for wanting self rule and democracy
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nice, label anyone who doesn't pander to your ridiculous views as a chinese stooge

as far as I'm concerned, OP is completely right - the amount of disrespect the HKrs are exhibiting is disgusting - like waving american flags and asking the UK to take them back- like ****ing seriously? way to completely **** on your ancestors who got ****ed over by them colonials

bootlicking on a whole nother level
Most of Hong Kong's ancestors fled from communist China in search of a better life in Hong Kong.

It would be completely ****ting on the ancestors if Hongkongers today are to accept the rule of communist China.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no exceptions

In that case, then there's no need to help people in mainland China or Macao. But the people of Hong Kong have made it extremely clear that the Chinese government is oppressive to Hong Kong people.
Moose-er
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
k. what i thought. that it was about the british rule thing, the chinese autonomy thing, the umbrella thing, and the suffrage thing.

and after reading the detailed bbc article...im still confused on why there are riots, let alone violent ones. i think they just wanna riot tbh. hong kong, no offense, is full of triad gangs...
I think they just want The Communist party to leave HK
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has NYC been American for more than 20-odd years?

Are New Yorkers not allow to visit the rest of the US without a permit?

Does the US recognize the passport New Yorkers use as a valid travel document?

Can New Yorkers join the US military?

Do New Yorkers use the same currency as the rest of the US do? Can New Yorkers freely exchange the currency of the USA?

Do New Yorkers have democratic representation in the US legislature?

Do New Yorkers have democratic representation in the US executive?

Do New Yorkers have representation in the US judiciary?

Does New York have a constitution simply imposed upon them? And that its "interpretation" is done freely by a legislature they have no influence in?

Can New Yorkers freely bring goods into the rest of the US?

Because of New York, all of those questions are yes; for Hong Kong, all of those questions are no.

I struggle to see how Hong Kong's country is China when Hongkongers aren't even allowed to go from Hong Kong to China, even on a transit, without a visa or a permit. Hong Kong is literally a client state with a puppet government and a foreign military occupying it.
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 1 week ago
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
k. what i thought. that it was about the british rule thing, the chinese autonomy thing, the umbrella thing, and the suffrage thing.

and after reading the detailed bbc article...im still confused on why there are riots, let alone violent ones. i think they just wanna riot tbh. hong kong, no offense, is full of triad gangs...
i like hong kong. i wanted to go there, maybe study, or teach when I'm soon qualified, or just ex pat. so i hate the protestors. they're making the hot spot that HK is a quarantined warzone. :noway:
The triad gangs are in collusion with the police, and they openly support the government. They attacked citizens and protesters. So do you actually know enough to know who you're rooting for?

Without the initial forceful occupation on 12 June, the extradition bill would've passed. Foreigners like you could have been easily arrested and transported to China, like many foreigners have in China proper, including diplomats.

The government completely ignored the million-plus march, and they went on to ignore the 2-million-strong march, and all the other peaceful demonstrations.

So what are you suggesting? Just accepting whatever China is imposing on to them? What can you do when peaceful protests don't work in the slightest, and (now) when they are actually banned so nothing could even happen peacefully?

And "warzone". Nobody has died as a direct result of the violent clashes, so that's a warzone to you? Not to mention there was never any violence until the police shows up to suppress initially peaceful protests.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Moose-er)
I think they just want The Communist party to leave HK
Many do now, especially when it's now crystal clear that there's never hope for freedom or democracy under China.

Initially, the hope was just for the communist party to leave Hong Kong alone.
zara456674
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Baron of Sealand stop spamming my inbox ****head
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top