Falling from Cloud 9 - Me, and my ever-loosening grip on grade 9s :) Watch

Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
*Falling from Cloud 9 ~ Me, and my
ever-loosening grip on grade 9s*

Hey, those of you who have stumbled across the little corner of the internet that is me and my GCSE based GYG thread...

My name is Matthew, so yes, that means I am Male which makes me outnumbered in a ratio of about 1:3 (because I can do maths and I had a look at the Boys vs Girls Competition) but we're going to roll with it.

I have decided to create this blog as a way to relate to others about my undoubtedly stressful to-be Year 11 experience. Having said this, I have just realised that about half of my conversations in school are about how stressful Year 11 is, so maybe we're falling into a pattern here...

At this point I think I've spoken too much anyway - so I'm going to get on with the info you probably care about:

Subjects ~
Spoiler:
Show
AQA English Language
AQA English Literature*
AQA Biology
AQA Physics
AQA Chemistry
AQA French
AQA Spanish
AQA History**
AQA Geography
AQA Religious Studies
Edexcel Maths

*Power & Conflict
An Inspector Calls
Jekyll & Hyde
Romeo & Juliet

**America 1920-1973
Conflict & Tension in Asia 1950 - 1975
Elizabethan England 1568 - 1603
Britain, Health and The People c.1000 - Present Day

My Predicted/Potential/Mock Grades (by school) ~
Spoiler:
Show
English Language: 8 - 9 - 9
English Literature: 8 - 9 - 7
Maths: 8 - 9 - 8
Biology: 8 - 9 - 7
Chemistry: 8 - 9 - 9
Physics: 8 - 9 - 9
French: 6 - 7 - 8
Spanish: 7 - 8 - 5
Geography: 8 - 9 - 9
History: 8 - 8 - 9
Religious Studies: 7 - 7 - 7

What I want vs. what I expect I will get ~
Spoiler:
Show
English Language: 9 - 8/9
English Literature: 9 - 7/8
Maths: 9 - 9
Biology: 9 - 8/9
Chemistry: 9 - 9
Physics: 9 - 9
French: 9 - 8
Spanish: 9 - 7
Geography: 9 - 9
History: 9 - 8
Religious Studies: 9 - 8

A-levels? ~
Spoiler:
Show
I can't be sure yet... Ik that there are some subjects I am considering but I just hate the thought of dropping some.

Biology ~
This is my favourite subject at the moment and although I have been told that A-level Biology is harddd, I definitely think I will end up taking this - it's funny when you think about it because I get my worst science results in biology. (probably because it's least mathsy)

Chemistry ~
Good at chem. Might want to be a doctor so this may be necessary although I don't know yet... That's about it.

Maths ~
Maths has always and probably will continue to be my strongest subject. I enjoy it most of the time and also part of me feels a moral (to myself) obligation to study it for A level :lol:. The only trouble is I know that I won't end up doing further maths because I want to do 4 different subjects - as I want to keep as many doors open as possible - and I just don't like the thought of other people doing better maths than me ahaha.

French ~
My best language - I definitely want to keep one at A-level so French is basically a definite because I highly highly doubt I would do Spanish without already doing french. (Just prefer the language.)

*So these 4 are what I would probably choose were I to be choosing today, just because I think they facilitate me best bud idkkk...

Spanish ~
I just hate the thought of dropping a language... I don't know why but for some reason, mentally it feels like a big loss because I know that my skills will likely just deteriorate until they are non-existent - it's only GCSE after all.

History ~
I've always enjoyed learning History, especially more 'early modern' stuff - which is the one I would choose for A-level. It just seems a shame not to have a humanity-based subject and there is no way I'm doing Geography.

English Lit or Lang (Not sure which I prefer tbh) ~
I really enjoy some aspects of English and so I can't help consider if I should be doing it... I also know that I may want to be a journalist and it would be pretty helpful in that :lol:

Interests (if any time :lol: ) ~
Spoiler:
Show
Swimming
Running
Reading
Photography/Filmmaking
Youtube
Veganism (haven't actually made the leap yet)*

... I mustn't forget sleeping!

*and doubt I will for a while it just doesn't feel plausible with the amount of exercise I do

I think that's probably all for now...

I will try and post weekly updates at weekends, and little updates along the way (usually daily ) when I have news to share!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! If you want to be tagged, well I'll do just that! Good luck to myself and all those of you in the same situation. A-levelers, I can't say I know how it feels

Oh, and pleaseee feel free to link your GYG, I love discovering new ones but simply don't have the time to find them all myself!

Note - This is my first GYG so yanno, this is about as technologically creative as it will get :lol:
Last edited by Matthew2422; 14 hours ago
NicolaMS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How did you revise for your GCSEs? I’m a year 11 and just got told today I had to achieve all a*s in my exams next year which I have no problem with, it’s just the revision part which is hard haha!
My results from last year’s sciences:
A-Chem
A-Biology
A*-Physics
A*-RE
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by NicolaMS)
How did you revise for your GCSEs? I’m a year 11 and just got told today I had to achieve all a*s in my exams next year which I have no problem with, it’s just the revision part which is hard haha!
My results from last year’s sciences:
A-Chem
A-Biology
A*-Physics
A*-RE
Honestly, in the exact same situation, I guess we will just have to navigate methods together! In the meantime, you can be happy with the knowledge that I too am a master procrastinator...
Valeriex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey Matty T (I have a friend in school called matthew and that is his nickname so soz)

I did Scottish equivalent GCSEs last year and managed to achieve straight As. Anyways my advice is just to make whatever resources you want (flashcards, mindmaps, typed notes etc etc) throughout the year, I would say at the end of each week but with the amount of subjects you do I would maybe say after each lesson, make your resource so you can revise in march/april time. I didn't do this last year and I regret it so much, I am doing it this year. If you have stuff from last year that you need to know and haven't made any resources, that is totally fine. Personally I recommend if you are in that situation just to make the first few months a little harder on yourself and make it then, or do it when it is like the october break.

Anyways I also have a gygs, here (I hope this is the right URL) , check it out if you have a moment or two
Hope that made sense I didn't proof read. Also tag me
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by Valeriex)
Hey Matty T (I have a friend in school called matthew and that is his nickname so soz)

I did Scottish equivalent GCSEs last year and managed to achieve straight As. Anyways my advice is just to make whatever resources you want (flashcards, mindmaps, typed notes etc etc) throughout the year, I would say at the end of each week but with the amount of subjects you do I would maybe say after each lesson, make your resource so you can revise in march/april time. I didn't do this last year and I regret it so much, I am doing it this year. If you have stuff from last year that you need to know and haven't made any resources, that is totally fine. Personally I recommend if you are in that situation just to make the first few months a little harder on yourself and make it then, or do it when it is like the october break.

Anyways I also have a gygs, here (I hope this is the right URL) , check it out if you have a moment or two
Hope that made sense I didn't proof read. Also tag me
Ahaha ok, that may be what I'm called from now on lol... oh dear (never mind... my surname begins in a T so that's even worse pahaha)

Thanks for the advice, thats exactly what I had planned to do, and No, I havent made any resources so far... oof. The problem is just starting I think... I haven't come up with my note-taking system yet or bought the notebooks/binders to do so. But I think that's my brain trying to avoid the situation when really I just need to cut the crap and get on with it aha!

I will definitely check out your GYG, and if I forget to say it on there, please tag me!

Thanks again
Valeriex
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Matthew2422)
Ahaha ok, that may be what I'm called from now on lol... oh dear (never mind... my surname begins in a T so that's even worse pahaha)

Thanks for the advice, thats exactly what I had planned to do, and No, I havent made any resources so far... oof. The problem is just starting I think... I haven't come up with my note-taking system yet or bought the notebooks/binders to do so. But I think that's my brain trying to avoid the situation when really I just need to cut the crap and get on with it aha!

I will definitely check out your GYG, and if I forget to say it on there, please tag me!

Thanks again
Haha no way.

Don't worry, I didn't start until Prelims (like Mocks) so in December . If you are still using jotters in school then don't worry too much about binders, if not, maybe get them soon hahah. Good luck
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Heyy
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Heyy
Hii, GCSE student right? I really like your GYG!
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago

Update 001 - 12.09.19

This weekend I have DofE. Lol. Like all weekend. Typical.
Leaving after school on Friday and getting back Sunday evening! I am yet to pack, a mistake I make all too often. Anyway, the point of this update is to say that, if I'm even alive, my Week Post on Sunday, might be a bit delayed aha, and just to complain to others about how I'm literally going 12 days without any downtime, oh, and my homework, well, I haven't sorted that out yet :rolleyes:

Spoiler:
Show
Tags:
Valeriex

*Edit - I have just looked at my timetable and seen that I have DoUbLe chemistry today... Wish me luck
noahhh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey man, good luck with this year. Year 11 was probably my favourite year - it goes so fast though so make sure you make the most of it!

I did DofE too, it was amazing Have fun this weekend!

Any ideas what you want to do for A levels?

Tag me in future updates bro
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hope Chemistry wasn't too bad:lol:
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by noahhh)
Hey man, good luck with this year. Year 11 was probably my favourite year - it goes so fast though so make sure you make the most of it!

I did DofE too, it was amazing Have fun this weekend!

Any ideas what you want to do for A levels?

Tag me in future updates bro
Thanks dude, I can already feel it slipping away aha!

Ik! Our practice expedition was really fun, but I'm just feeling that DofE at the end of the first full week back is not the way to go... (especially as I'm so tired and the expedition hasn't even started )
Not sure about A-levels, Ik that if I was choosing now I'd probably pick Maths, Chem, Bio and French. (Because why not do 4... tbh I can think of hundreds of reasons but I will probably do it anyway) But I also like English and History?
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Hope Chemistry wasn't too bad:lol:
It was actually quite good... I was prepared for the worst but I really enjoyed it, we were talking about Global Warming and the chemistry of our atmosphere, but I will update you more when I post my end-of-week summary
noahhh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks dude, I can already feel it slipping away aha!

Ik! Our practice expedition was really fun, but I'm just feeling that DofE at the end of the first full week back is not the way to go... (especially as I'm so tired and the expedition hasn't even started )
Not sure about A-levels, Ik that if I was choosing now I'd probably pick Maths, Chem, Bio and French. (Because why not do 4... tbh I can think of hundreds of reasons but I will probably do it anyway) But I also like English and History?
Don't worry man, you'll be fine - and you'll have a load of fun. I remember being really tired the morning of my expeditions, ended up having an amazing time.

Ayyy Biology, Chemistry & Maths. Best subjects if I do say so myself I'm actually self-teaching French atm too. And yeah, I get that. I miss doing some subjects, but I'm picking up an EPQ and joining clubs to make up for them.

The most important thing is to choose subjects you enjoy, because you're gonna be stuck with them for a tough 2 years. Being good at them helps too haha. No rush though dude, you've got time
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago

Week 1 & 2 (ish) - Let's Go Back to Sch... Sleep

Ok, where to begin aha, well I guess I should do this chronologically, but if anything doesn't read well, then skim over it aha because it's a Sunday evening and I just got back from DofE, so the last thing I need is Grammarly. (Kind of a long one.*)

Thursday 5th Sep -
First day of school, had the usual welcome back assembly where the headteacher scares us into submission and actually doing work and reminds us that we actually have no time before the end of year 11... thanks! Then our Head of college comes on and gives us a chat about how School is full of opportunities - ones that we won't get as adults - and no one has ever left school wishing they did less: which I think is a really good philosophy actually, and so I've decided within reason (exam year) that I'm going to throw myself into things this year. I mean tbh I'm already doing a lot . After the first period, we went to lessons which meant my first lesson was English, very nice as I had given English Oral exam presentation before the summer holidays, and some others still had to do it aha... I feel bad for laughing, but they did have the choice to do it before! For the rest of the day it was Geography, Maths and Biology, and not too much happened, and I've already spent ages talking about this so I'll move on!

Friday 6th Sep -
Honestly can't remember too much, feels like ages ago after this weekend lol. Had PE, English, Spanish, French and History. That was all good and my first time having double language ever (Lunch was in between but hey) which wasn't anywhere near as problematic as I thought it might be. History was interesting because we had a new teacher - our old one left - but she seems nice so it's no problem. (Our new classroom is tiny tho and I think I'm actually getting claustrophobic.)

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th Sep -
Didn't do much, didn't have much homework, so just wanted to relax!

Monday 9th Sep -
Pretty standard day, first Physics lesson of Year 11, that's fun! If I'm being truthful I'm quite good at Physics (mainly because of the maths) but I really don't enjoy it so having it the last lesson of the day really isn't for me...

Tuesday 10th Sep -
Physics was first lesson, as we've discussed that's enjoyable for me! All I remember at this point is that this is when the homework started stacking up. Spoiler: I never did it.

Wednesday 11th Sep -
First Theology (Religious Studies) Lesson back, thats quite a good thing because Theology is relaxed. My last lesson was Spanish and at the end of the lesson a couple of friends and I hung back and asked our teacher if we could come after school on Wednesday's (starting next week) to practice and improve our Spanish, because that will be the biggest struggle for me in getting all 8/9s (or all 9s ) ughh why do I give myself such high expectations!

Thursday 12th Sep -
First Chemistry Lesson, and now I've had every subject, except it wasn't, it was my first Double Chemistry lesson! - I use the term 'double' loosely because really it's 1st lesson and 4th, but I consider that double, especially if you account for the fact that on the next day, I have my 3rd and final Chemistry lesson of the fortnight. After school, I spent ages packing for the upcoming DofE lol.

Friday 13th Sep -
Spooky :eek3: School went kind of quick because I was stressed about having to go straight from school to the final expedition. So not much to say here.

Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th Sep -
DofE Lol. Shoutout to Mike, Meryn, Hannah and Charlie! We did it and the feeling of accomplishment is so great (as it was last time!) I had the nicest bath, but I'm too tired to do much, so writing this is about it ahaha

I have lots of homework to do, most of it for Tuesday, so I think tomorrow is going to be a big homework night, I will update you on what homework I've got tomorrow! Also when I catch up with everything after this weekend, I want to redo my theme maybe? Especially for the first post (but this could be a while, depends how long it takes to get my life together, then again, was it all that together in the first place? )

QotD: Any DofE experiences?
AotD: Well, I think I just told all you guys! I honestly feel so great having done it though!

Spoiler:
Show

Tags: (If you'd like to be added or removed just let me know!)
Valeriex
noahhh

*Not proofreading this, so we will just have to hope lol.
_Mia101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Week 1 & 2 (ish) - Let's Go Back to Sch... Sleep

Ok, where to begin aha, well I guess I should do this chronologically, but if anything doesn't read well, then skim over it aha because it's a Sunday evening and I just got back from DofE, so the last thing I need is Grammarly. (Kind of a long one.*)

Thursday 5th Sep -
First day of school, had the usual welcome back assembly where the headteacher scares us into submission and actually doing work and reminds us that we actually have no time before the end of year 11... thanks! Then our Head of college comes on and gives us a chat about how School is full of opportunities - ones that we won't get as adults - and no one has ever left school wishing they did less: which I think is a really good philosophy actually, and so I've decided within reason (exam year) that I'm going to throw myself into things this year. I mean tbh I'm already doing a lot . After the first period, we went to lessons which meant my first lesson was English, very nice as I had given English Oral exam presentation before the summer holidays, and some others still had to do it aha... I feel bad for laughing, but they did have the choice to do it before! For the rest of the day it was Geography, Maths and Biology, and not too much happened, and I've already spent ages talking about this so I'll move on!

Friday 6th Sep -
Honestly can't remember too much, feels like ages ago after this weekend lol. Had PE, English, Spanish, French and History. That was all good and my first time having double language ever (Lunch was in between but hey) which wasn't anywhere near as problematic as I thought it might be. History was interesting because we had a new teacher - our old one left - but she seems nice so it's no problem. (Our new classroom is tiny tho and I think I'm actually getting claustrophobic.)

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th Sep -
Didn't do much, didn't have much homework, so just wanted to relax!

Monday 9th Sep -
Pretty standard day, first Physics lesson of Year 11, that's fun! If I'm being truthful I'm quite good at Physics (mainly because of the maths) but I really don't enjoy it so having it the last lesson of the day really isn't for me...

Tuesday 10th Sep -
Physics was first lesson, as we've discussed that's enjoyable for me! All I remember at this point is that this is when the homework started stacking up. Spoiler: I never did it.

Wednesday 11th Sep -
First Theology (Religious Studies) Lesson back, thats quite a good thing because Theology is relaxed. My last lesson was Spanish and at the end of the lesson a couple of friends and I hung back and asked our teacher if we could come after school on Wednesday's (starting next week) to practice and improve our Spanish, because that will be the biggest struggle for me in getting all 8/9s (or all 9s ) ughh why do I give myself such high expectations!

Thursday 12th Sep -
First Chemistry Lesson, and now I've had every subject, except it wasn't, it was my first Double Chemistry lesson! - I use the term 'double' loosely because really it's 1st lesson and 4th, but I consider that double, especially if you account for the fact that on the next day, I have my 3rd and final Chemistry lesson of the fortnight. After school, I spent ages packing for the upcoming DofE lol.

Friday 13th Sep -
Spooky :eek3: School went kind of quick because I was stressed about having to go straight from school to the final expedition. So not much to say here.

Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th Sep -
DofE Lol. Shoutout to Mike, Meryn, Hannah and Charlie! We did it and the feeling of accomplishment is so great (as it was last time!) I had the nicest bath, but I'm too tired to do much, so writing this is about it ahaha

I have lots of homework to do, most of it for Tuesday, so I think tomorrow is going to be a big homework night, I will update you on what homework I've got tomorrow! Also when I catch up with everything after this weekend, I want to redo my theme maybe? Especially for the first post (but this could be a while, depends how long it takes to get my life together, then again, was it all that together in the first place? )

QotD: Any DofE experiences?
AotD: Well, I think I just told all you guys! I honestly feel so great having done it though!

Spoiler:
Show

Tags: (If you'd like to be added or removed just let me know!)

Valeriex
noahhh

*Not proofreading this, so we will just have to hope lol.
I feel you with the physics :yep:. I find it easy, but I find it a tad bit boring and so I don't enjoy it so much.

AOTD - I dropped out of DofE like a month before the expedition :lol:
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
I feel you with the physics :yep:. I find it easy, but I find it a tad bit boring and so I don't enjoy it so much.

AOTD - I dropped out of DofE like a month before the expedition :lol:
Oof, why did you drop out? Don't blame you really, it's quite daunting going into it :lol:
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Can I be tagged please? Sounds like things are going pretty well but if I can give some advice, don't try and do everything. It's true that nobody leaves school wishing they did less, but speaking from experience here, I spent years 10 and 11 involved in a l o t of things and around GCSEs, especially if you've got the outlook on revision I had (you seem to), it can really grind you down. I admit it didn't impact my grades much if at all, but just a bit of advice.

I do have a GYG, called Midnight Stargazing (look at my name haha funny rite no ok) but I'm on the app and idk how to link things on here
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidnightSymphony)
Can I be tagged please? Sounds like things are going pretty well but if I can give some advice, don't try and do everything. It's true that nobody leaves school wishing they did less, but speaking from experience here, I spent years 10 and 11 involved in a l o t of things and around GCSEs, especially if you've got the outlook on revision I had (you seem to), it can really grind you down. I admit it didn't impact my grades much if at all, but just a bit of advice.

I do have a GYG, called Midnight Stargazing (look at my name haha funny rite no ok) but I'm on the app and idk how to link things on here
Of course! And thank you very much, I appreciate the fact that - although I don't know why - someone would want to take the time out of their day to give me some advice, it's very humbling! But yeh, I'm not talking about doing EvErYtHiNg, but more not saying no just because I'm scared, I've already dropped a couple of things in prep for Year 11 so don't worry I'm being realistic aha!

I will check out your GYG!
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Update 002 - 16.09.19

Ok, so this is more for my benefit than yours since I need to make a to-do list for the homework I've got to catch up on... but you might as well feel how stressed I am too:

• French - 90-word task (due today - have I done it... No )
  • Physics - Light Filter explanation (due tomorrow)
  • English - Creative writing story (due tomorrow)
  • History - Elizabethan England exam Question (due tomorrow)
  • Theology - On-going revision (Will this be missed... Yes )
  • Biology - A4 Sheet on 'human genome' (due Wednesday)
  • Maths - Worksheet (due Thursday)
  • French - Worksheet (due Friday)
  • Chemistry - Exam Questions (due Thursday 26th - because of my dodgy timetable)

Oh and I'm supposed to be doing regular French and Spanish vocab...

QotD: I would have one but I doubt I'll be responding until tomorrow aha so feel free to continue to answer the one on my previous post! (DofE) or yanno it's a bit late but does anyone have any bad luck on Friday the 13th?
AotD: Not really bad luck but one Friday 13th the Swimming Pool lights went out during training (there was a storm outside) and we did have to evacuate the pool for a bit aha

Spoiler:
Show
Tags: (as always if you want to be added or removed please let me know!)

MidnightSymphony
noahhh
Valeriex

Edit - Sorry anyone who's reading this (not sure it matters much to you tho) but this wouldn't format earlier, so I have needed to re-do it! I have since done my French, Physics, English, History and Biology homework, so I'm feeling a bit less stressed aha!
Last edited by Matthew2422; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.8%
Pop (211)
24.74%
Jazz (33)
3.87%
Classical (46)
5.39%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.46%