Falling from Cloud 9 - Me, and my ever-loosening grip on grade 9s :) Watch

Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Update 003 - 17.09.19

Once I finished my homework and went to bed last night, I read. I read a book. Just 20 pages or so but I took the time to sit down and read. Over the summer I tried to create that as a habit - I read probably around 11 books and it was amazing, I loved spending so little time on my phone, and so much learning and invested in the story of someone else. I'm going to try and continue this habit although it did slip away already at the beginning of the school year...

In case you were wondering the book I read is 'The Last' by Hanna Jameson - I'm only 100 pages in, but I'm not sure how much it is my type of book at this point. Tbh I only picked it up because it completed the buy one get one half price offer at Waterstones :lol:.

QotD: Do you (try to) read regularly? If so what are you reading? Or what is your favourite book?
AotD: I try to lol, My favourite books from the summer are 'All the light we cannot see' by Anthony Doerr and 'Breath' by Tim Winton.

Spoiler:
Show
Tags: (If you want to be added just ask!)
MidnightSymphony
noahhh
Valeriex

Something a bit different this morning - just thought this would be nice to share
Last edited by Matthew2422; 4 months ago
Valeriex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes I do read regularly. This year I set myself the goal to re read the entire Harry Potter series, so currently I am on book 3. I am also "reading" Jane Eyre by listening to it on the way to school. In school we are reading Jekyll and Hyde, and also the play All My Sons by Arthur Miller, so I guess they count as well
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by Valeriex)
Yes I do read regularly. This year I set myself the goal to re read the entire Harry Potter series, so currently I am on book 3. I am also "reading" Jane Eyre by listening to it on the way to school. In school we are reading Jekyll and Hyde, and also the play All My Sons by Arthur Miller, so I guess they count as well
Harry Potter is great Ravenclaws where u at? ahaha

Also doing Jekyll & Hyde at school - it's my least favourite of the three we're doing...
Matthew2422
Rep:
?

Update 004 - 18.09.19

Ok, so this update is basically just an excuse to tell you all that I have a new layout on my opening post! (I will sort something out for the weeklies and updates some other time) Also with some new info...

In other news, however, I've still got a fair amount of homework despite my Monday marathon, well I think I do - anyway I'm going to make a to-do list because they're helpful for me :lol:

• English (due Thursday)
  • Spanish (due Friday)
  • French (due Friday)
  • Physics (due Monday)
  • Chemistry (due Thursday)

Ok then well not too bad

After school, today, me and a couple friends are starting an after-school Spanish lesson with our teacher (because that will be where my grades let me down) and hopefully that will happen every Wednesday (if it's any good)

I'm laughing rn because I can't see how yesterday morning I had 15 minutes or the effort to write about reading of all things... :lol:

I wanted to complain about something else... umm... oh yeh, school photos :lol:

Anyway, I'm still interested in books you're reading and stuff (and I lack the originality to come up with something this morning) so I'm copying and pasting my QotD from yesterday .

QotD: Do you (try to) read regularly? If so what are you reading? Or what is your favourite book?
AotD: I try to lol, My favourite books from the summer are 'All the light we cannot see' by Anthony Doerr and 'Breath' by Tim Winton.

Spoiler:
Show

Tags: (Just ask if you want to be added!)
doks
MidnightSymphony
noahhh
Valeriex
Valeriex
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Matthew2422)
Harry Potter is great Ravenclaws where u at? ahaha

Also doing Jekyll & Hyde at school - it's my least favourite of the three we're doing...
Hufflepuff here.
We actually haven't started it yet, we were meant to yesterday but didn't happen. Probably next week
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Hufflepuff here.
We actually haven't started it yet, we were meant to yesterday but didn't happen. Probably next week
Aha Hufflepuffs r great :lol:

Oops maybe I shouldn’t have given you negative opinions before even going into it

Tbh it is quite interesting when you read it for the first time (if you don’t already know what it is about)
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Update 005 - 19.09.19

I wanted to update you all (let's be honest this is more of a diary :lol: because I'm not sure many people actually read this! - if you do, then please say hi! I want to speak to you all! :hello:) on my Extra Spanish Lesson with my teacher after school. It was so helpful and I can definitely see it working over the long run, and helping me get the 8/9 I so desperately want ahaha (not to be dramatic or anything) My Spanish teacher is just so nice to be giving up an hour of their time for a couple of students! We revised the 4 main past tenses - preterite, imperfect, perfect and pluperfect (the last one was more of a vise than a revise since we haven't actually looked at it in normal lessons.) And learned how to use past continuous or something lol. We went more in-depth on the preterite and imperfect... anyway, long story short, it was very helpful!

I didn't have much time last night cus I went straight to sports training afterwards and didn't get back until LATE. Hence, why I'm telling you now!

Not much important happened today I don't think other than that when I got home I had 10 pieces of un-done homework, which I have since done 5 of but hey... streSSfuL :groovy:

QotD: Any extracurriculars?
AotD: I do lots of sport outside of school

Spoiler:
Show
Tags: (To be added or removed just ask! but I promise this is top-notch content you won't want to miss out on :lol: what a joke aha who wants to see me stressing over nm in the grand scheme of things)

doks
MidnightSymphony
noahhh
Valeriex

On another note - as soon as I put this up we hit 500 views! Now, Ik views don't really mean much but it feels like a bit of a milestone because I thought I'd struggle to keep this going for more than a couple of days!
lhabgabdgbfa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Keep me tagged as well pls and I hope you get all the 9s in the world.
doks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
spanish tenses are the death of me :mad: so many words to memorise and i always mess them up in speaking exams haha!! i'm glad you've got them though
and as for extra-curriculars... i do Zero :ashamed2: i wish i did something other than school in my week but i can't ever find a sport i enjoy and have friends at and good luck !! <3
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by lhabgabdgbfa)
Keep me tagged as well pls and I hope you get all the 9s in the world.
Will do! and Thankyouuu that made my day!
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by doks)
spanish tenses are the death of me :mad: so many words to memorise and i always mess them up in speaking exams haha!! i'm glad you've got them though
and as for extra-curriculars... i do Zero :ashamed2: i wish i did something other than school in my week but i can't ever find a sport i enjoy and have friends at and good luck !! <3
Oof, tell me about it el vocabulario is never-ending...

Thankyouuu very much

Speaking of extra-curriculars, off to go do another now so... (I like to keep busy :lol: ) and dw about it it just means your grades will be that much better because you have that much more time aha
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good Luck... So busy!!
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Good Luck... So busy!!
Thanks Aha, Would you like to be tagged?
gw07mcgheerachel
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Matthew2422)
Thanks Aha, Would you like to be tagged?
Please
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't think I want to know what preterite and pluperfect mean I hate languages but as long as you know what they mean that's important
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidnightSymphony)
I don't think I want to know what preterite and pluperfect mean I hate languages but as long as you know what they mean that's important
There is a large enough part of me that feels this on a spiritual level :lol:
Valeriex
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Extra curricular? 6 different bands. It feels like I spend more time on band than on any school work.
I did Spanish last year (Nat 5 very similar to GCSE). And tbh I didn't learn any tense, by the end of the year I ended up knowing the most common present tense & irregulars just because you see it so many times. At the back of your dictionary there is like a list of like pretty much every single conjugation of verbs, so as long as you aren't planning on doing Languages next year, then I wouldn't worry too much. All I heard last year was "You need to learn your grammar" well I still got an A. Ended up only getting 6/20 in the course work so I must have done really good in the exam- so like tenses aren't too important so don't stress it- it will come naturally soon
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey I took the exact same subjects except German instead of French so if you have any qs just ask
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
Extra curricular? 6 different bands. It feels like I spend more time on band than on any school work.
I did Spanish last year (Nat 5 very similar to GCSE). And tbh I didn't learn any tense, by the end of the year I ended up knowing the most common present tense & irregulars just because you see it so many times. At the back of your dictionary there is like a list of like pretty much every single conjugation of verbs, so as long as you aren't planning on doing Languages next year, then I wouldn't worry too much. All I heard last year was "You need to learn your grammar" well I still got an A. Ended up only getting 6/20 in the course work so I must have done really good in the exam- so like tenses aren't too important so don't stress it- it will come naturally soon
Ahh, that sounds intense... I'm interested in the Spanish... did your course let you use dictionaries in the exam? (And I'm doing French next year - probably not Spanish tho)
Matthew2422
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
hey I took the exact same subjects except German instead of French so if you have any qs just ask
Thanks, how did you find the workload with just academic subjects? What grades did you get? (if you don't mind me asking) and would you like to be tagged aha?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads