The Student Room Group

history a-level without history gcse?

I am in year 12 and currently taking english lit, psychology and spanish, however I really hate spanish and want to drop it. The only other subject that looks interesting to me is history, which I didn’t take at gcse, which I really regret. I got 9’s in both english literature and english language so should I be okay in history? I enjoy and do the best at essay subjects and I do find history interesting. I’m not exactly sure what I want to do at uni but I was thinking of doing an english course. Also, the exam board for history is edexcel - don’t know if that’s any help!
It depends on whether your sixth form formally requires a GCSE in History in order to do it at A level. It wasn't a requirement in my place and I know a few people in my class who haven't done it at GCSE. You'll be fine with it. However, my confidence would not be boosted by good GCSE results in English if I were you. History requires a more social science orientated mindset so if you are good in subjects like Sociology or Politics then you'll be good in History. If you are interested and curious in knowing more about what society was like in the past, then History is for you. Don't take it simply as a reserve A-Level, you have to enjoy it otherwise there is a strong likelihood that you may not do well in it.
Reply 2
Original post by Jazzybear01
It depends on whether your sixth form formally requires a GCSE in History in order to do it at A level. It wasn't a requirement in my place and I know a few people in my class who haven't done it at GCSE. You'll be fine with it. However, my confidence would not be boosted by good GCSE results in English if I were you. History requires a more social science orientated mindset so if you are good in subjects like Sociology or Politics then you'll be good in History. If you are interested and curious in knowing more about what society was like in the past, then History is for you. Don't take it simply as a reserve A-Level, you have to enjoy it otherwise there is a strong likelihood that you may not do well in it.

Well I was originally deciding against sociology and history, and the idea of how societies came to be sounds very interesting. I did enjoy history before I dropped it at gcse but I know that doesn’t compare to a-level history. Also, I forgot to mention that my sixth form doesn’t require history gcse as a requirement. Thanks for your help !
Original post by ameturn
Well I was originally deciding against sociology and history, and the idea of how societies came to be sounds very interesting. I did enjoy history before I dropped it at gcse but I know that doesn’t compare to a-level history. Also, I forgot to mention that my sixth form doesn’t require history gcse as a requirement. Thanks for your help !

If History is not necessary then do it! I never did History GCSE and was in the same boat as you. Fortunately they kept on repeating that History GCSE is completely different to A-Level.

What really matters (to me at least) was what the course. What are they doing for History?
Reply 4
Original post by TheCapstan
If History is not necessary then do it! I never did History GCSE and was in the same boat as you. Fortunately they kept on repeating that History GCSE is completely different to A-Level.

What really matters (to me at least) was what the course. What are they doing for History?

For history they are doing,
Paper 1 -Germany and West Germany 1918-1989
Paper 2 - The rise and fall of fascism in Italy 1911-1946,
Paper 3 - Protest, agitation and parliamentary reform in Britain 1780-1928.

The course looks interesting, so I think I should enjoy it. It’s good to hear that someone else was in the same boat though as I was mainly worried that I would be at a disadvantage, but seeing as it’s different from the gcse I feel like I should be fine!
Reply 5
One of my friends did history a level without having done the gcse, ended up loving it and got an offer from Cambridge to do a history course last year!
I’ve only just found this post (my friend suggested I make an account for the student room) and now I really want to know 1. Did you switch to history? And 2. Did you go to uni? I’m sorry but I’m quite nosy 🙊

Quick Reply

Latest