Tmoulti89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Name:  2019-09-11 19.48.07.png
Views: 5
Size:  194.5 KB

I answered part a correctly (I think) with the equation being y=7/2x+12.5, but I'm stuck with the final question. Is the y-axis the same for both points, because it says they meet here for A and B? If so (or not), what is the next step(s)? Please help, thanks.
Sir Cumference2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tmoulti89)
Name:  2019-09-11 19.48.07.png
Views: 5
Size:  194.5 KB

I answered part a correctly (I think) with the equation being y=7/2x+12.5, but I'm stuck with the final question. Is the y-axis the same for both points, because it says they meet here for A and B? If so (or not), what is the next step(s)? Please help, thanks.
Here's a diagram:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/tisqvgh3hf

You need to find where the lines cross the y-axis and then find the distance between those points. Does that help?
Tmoulti89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Here's a diagram:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/tisqvgh3hf

You need to find where the lines cross the y-axis and then find the distance between those points. Does that help?
Thank you. Yes, that makes it clearer now but how do I find where they cross the y-axis?
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. Yes, that makes it clearer now but how do I find where they cross the y-axis?
Lines cross the y-axis at points where the x-coordinate is 0 e.g. points like (0,3) or (0,-2). So if you substitute x = 0 into each equation it will give you the y-intercepts.

Or if you're familiar with y = mx + c then "c" is the y-intercept.
Tmoulti89
Rep:
?
Lines cross the y-axis at points where the x-coordinate is 0 e.g. points like (0,3) or (0,-2). So if you substitute x = 0 into each equation it will give you the y-intercepts.

Or if you're familiar with y = mx + c then "c" is the y-intercept.
Ok, so I found the y intercepts to be -7 and 12.5. Do I need to use the (square root)(x1-x2)squared + (y1-y2)squared formula?
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, so I found the y intercepts to be -7 and 12.5. Do I need to use the (square root)(x1-x2)squared + (y1-y2)squared formula?
No, look at the diagram that I linked to above. You know that the top line crosses the y-axis at 12.5 and the bottom line crosses at -7. Can you use the diagram to work out the distance between the points? Don't think about any formulae - just think about how to find the distance.
Tmoulti89
Rep:
?
No, look at the diagram that I linked to above. You know that the top line crosses the y-axis at 12.5 and the bottom line crosses at -7. Can you use the diagram to work out the distance between the points? Don't think about any formulae - just think about how to find the distance.
Subtract them?
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Subtract them?
Yes as long as you do it in the right order. I'm still not sure if you're guessing or actually considering the graph. Have a look at this new diagram:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ld956artdp

What's the distance between A and B? It should really be clear without you having to guess a method. You can even count the squares if you like.
Tmoulti89
Rep:
?
Yes as long as you do it in the right order. I'm still not sure if you're guessing or actually considering the graph. Have a look at this new diagram:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ld956artdp

What's the distance between A and B? It should really be clear without you having to guess a method. You can even count the squares if you like.
Ah, I see now. So the answer is 19.5.
Sir Cumference2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah, I see now. So the answer is 19.5.
Correct
Tmoulti89
Rep:
?
Correct
Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads