student010r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
We are currently on out component 1 devised piece. I have been put in such a useless group, they get distracted so easily, don't focus and just mess about. They don't understand the seriousness of this. We started to get put into groups at the beginning of July and we have to do our exam in October, it is currently September and we have only done ONE SCENE. Our deadline for the FULL script is next week. I have no idea what to do. My group seems to always look at me for ideas and just have no clue what they are doing. I have a huge weight on my shoulders and I can't stop panicking. On top of that some members don't even come to our after school rehearsals and I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should just accept that I'm going to fail. I need advice.
nifetayo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by student010r)
We are currently on out component 1 devised piece. I have been put in such a useless group, they get distracted so easily, don't focus and just mess about. They don't understand the seriousness of this. We started to get put into groups at the beginning of July and we have to do our exam in October, it is currently September and we have only done ONE SCENE. Our deadline for the FULL script is next week. I have no idea what to do. My group seems to always look at me for ideas and just have no clue what they are doing. I have a huge weight on my shoulders and I can't stop panicking. On top of that some members don't even come to our after school rehearsals and I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should just accept that I'm going to fail. I need advice.
This happened to me in our mocks, and to be honest, just do the best you can, because at the end of the day it is your GCSE. I think you should either tell your teacher and see if she/he can do anything about the groups, or just stay in your group and work the hardest. Write the script and act it on the day to the best of your ability. Hopefully, the examiner will be able to see that you can act and give you a grade that you deserve. Goodluck xox
student010r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Update: we have to do a thing called show backs every week where we show the teacher a small part of our performance. I worked so hard on it and the teachers feedback was that is was boring and not interesting, she really came after our group with criticism. It really deflated me and made me lose motivation rather than encourage me. I don’t enjoy our piece anymore but we can’t change it now as we are too far in. I’m just scared for the embarrassment when we have to show our parents and for the actual exam. This is going horrible and it’s the one subject I really wanted to do well on.
Carbon Dioxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You are not alone in thinking that your special night will turn out to be an extraordinary fright: Bizet was adamant that Carmen - one of the greatest operas ever written - was, in fact, a gargantuan flop. I'd rather be waterboarded than have to endure drama myself after the car crash that was Year 9, but if you just read over your script, read over it again, imagine you're there, thrust as much Passion and Commitment as you possibly can, take the initiative & push your teammates to do the same and (perhaps more importantly in the here and now) ask your teachers why they absolutely detest your play & how it could be improved by tinkering about a bit... then in the end, your desires might just pay off.

Matthew 6:27
Last edited by Carbon Dioxide; 6 days ago
student010r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Update 2: We have 2 weeks until we are showing our parents, we have barely anything done. My group has basically lost motivation and giving up and I am slowly as well. I know I sound like I’m being dramatic, but I absolutely petrified, I haven’t slept properly for the last couple of days because I can’t stop thinking about the exam day and when we have to show our parents. My mental state is spiralling and I just feel so much dread. I genuinely have no idea what to do. Our style is physical theatre and we just can’t think of the movements for it, it’s so frustrating! I can’t wait until this is all over, after this I’ll be able to relax until November mocks lol
amelieew28
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
which exam board are you on? i did edexcel and the actual performance isn’t worth that many marks, the majority is for a portfolio so it’s not worth getting super worried about. i understand how frustrating it can be to be in that kind of group though. do you have a specific stimulus that your performance has to be as my group also used lots of physical theatre so i might have some ideas you could use?
student010r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by amelieew28)
which exam board are you on? i did edexcel and the actual performance isn’t worth that many marks, the majority is for a portfolio so it’s not worth getting super worried about. i understand how frustrating it can be to be in that kind of group though. do you have a specific stimulus that your performance has to be as my group also used lots of physical theatre so i might have some ideas you could use?
Update 2: We have 2 weeks until we are showing our parents, we have barely anything done. My group has basically lost motivation and giving up and I am slowly as well. I know I sound like I’m being dramatic, but I absolutely petrified, I haven’t slept properly for the last couple of days because I can’t stop thinking about the exam day and when we have to show our parents. My mental state is spiralling and I just feel so much dread. I genuinely have no idea what to do. Our style is physical theatre and we just can’t think of the movements for it, it’s so frustrating! I can’t wait until this is all over, after this I’ll be able to relax until November mocks lol
We are doing a piece on a girl getting exposed by her peers for sending nudes and gets bullied for it. It shows how quickly things can travel on the internet and to always be careful. But it’s incredibly hard for the physical theatre element. We showed our teacher and she said it was too naturalistic, boring and awkward. That caused our whole group to lose motivation and it didn’t really encourage us. So that’s a problem too
amelieew28
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
We are doing a piece on a girl getting exposed by her peers for sending nudes and gets bullied for it. It shows how quickly things can travel on the internet and to always be careful. But it’s incredibly hard for the physical theatre element. We showed our teacher and she said it was too naturalistic, boring and awkward. That caused our whole group to lose motivation and it didn’t really encourage us. So that’s a problem too
yeah i agree, the teacher shouldn’t be making students loose motivation like that. we did a lot of physical theatre to represent mental health and anxiety and sort of attacked the person in a stylistic way if you know what i mean? and we did a lot of choral speaking and movement to try and create a sense of being overwhelmed? idk if this helps but this is how my group tried to get our performance a bit more abstract; we like stuffed it full of explorative strategies. again like i said though, a lot of the exam is your portfolio and the written exam and the other scripted performance so if this little part doesn’t go well, it absolutely doesn’t mean you’re going to fail. hope this helped a bit, good luck!
student010r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by amelieew28)
yeah i agree, the teacher shouldn’t be making students loose motivation like that. we did a lot of physical theatre to represent mental health and anxiety and sort of attacked the person in a stylistic way if you know what i mean? and we did a lot of choral speaking and movement to try and create a sense of being overwhelmed? idk if this helps but this is how my group tried to get our performance a bit more abstract; we like stuffed it full of explorative strategies. again like i said though, a lot of the exam is your portfolio and the written exam and the other scripted performance so if this little part doesn’t go well, it absolutely doesn’t mean you’re going to fail. hope this helped a bit, good luck!
Thank you! This helped a lot. I know I’m probably being over dramatic, it’s just I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of my parents and the examiner
amelieew28
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thank you! This helped a lot. I know I’m probably being over dramatic, it’s just I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of my parents and the examiner
no don’t worry i felt the exact same way, i was an absolute wreck in the weeks before my exam. just try not to panic too much right beforehand and everything should be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads