Talking about cancer Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was making friends with a girl at sixth form today, and she mentioned having a medical condition. I asked what it is (in hindsight, I realise it was not v appropriate for me to do that since stuff like this is personal). She told me she has lymphoma and is doing chemo. I didn't want to get super serious and sound like I'm pitying her or something so I said 'ohhhh, okay' and moved on talking about what clubs she's thinking of doing.

do you think I did the right thing in moving the conversation on? The conversation didn't get awkward or anything but I was thrown off guard.

how should you respond when someone tells you stuff like this without being insensitive or rude?
Student040803
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
However she seems to treat it, match that with a bit of sensitivity. For example if she seems very quiet about it then you should be to. If she jokes and laughs about it then you laugh aswell, it’ll help them cope but take it easy if you’re going to start making jokes back, that kind of depends on the person.
HumblyBumbly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was making friends with a girl at sixth form today, and she mentioned having a medical condition. I asked what it is (in hindsight, I realise it was not v appropriate for me to do that since stuff like this is personal). She told me she has lymphoma and is doing chemo. I didn't want to get super serious and sound like I'm pitying her or something so I said 'ohhhh, okay' and moved on talking about what clubs she's thinking of doing.

do you think I did the right thing in moving the conversation on? The conversation didn't get awkward or anything but I was thrown off guard.

how should you respond when someone tells you stuff like this without being insensitive or rude?
"OH OKAY" ooo I can see why you did that, but personally if it was me I would feel a bit hurt. Like I wouldn't want pity either but to treat as something casual is hurtful - it's like imagine you told someone "I just broke up with my partner" if someone just moved on you might be a bit shocked. A lymphoma is an even bigger deal. I am a medical student so we are always discussing how best to discuss things like this and I think letting her direct the conversation is best. You don't have to show pity but at least let give her a chance to elaborate e.g. "sorry - I didn't mean to intrude. Do you want to talk about that?" - a direct and honest approach can be good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest