How do I come out as gay to my parents Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So first of all I'm gay. I've known for certain for around a year-ish now although I've known I'm not straight for a looong time now. I have really 3 really close friends who I'm super comfortable around and I told them about a week after I knew for certain myself, which I know for a lot of people is very hard. After that, I started telling more and more people and now around 15 people know and they were all very supportive.
Ok, now on to my family. They're not homophobic or anything so in that regards I am very lucky. I mean my dad does fairly regularly make comments about gay people and stuff that is quite offensive and not being very equal but not homophobic.I hardly ever speak to my parents about anything anymore and I kind of keep myself to myself with them. I'm fairly certain they already know as I am quite camp I suppose? Aka I love RuPaul, Beyonce, makeup, glitter and all that shizzle but idk it's just kind of awkward as I would never normally say anything like this to them at all.
I know that when I tell them I'll be completly safe but can anyone suggest the best way to do it? Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
They probably already know!
If they ask, don't lie just say yes.
Do you have a brother or sister who could be told first and support you?
Thats what I did.
Then i fell out with a bf and spent 2 weeks in bed with depression
Then when i went back to work my father said, he wanted to talk to me on the evening about what had been going on, so we had a family meeting, and I rambled a bit, and then he said, i know whats wrong with you and all this depression, you're gay aren't you. Then he said to my sister, did you know and she said yes, and he said what do you think? and she said i don't care it doesn't matter, no body cares what you are these days. and there was crying and hugging and that was that!!
So if you openly do all the things you listed like glitter and Beyonce and have female friends who have never been your gf's and you hate football, etc and you love clothes and styling yourself, then they know! So don't worry.
PM if you want any advice
Good luck
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thats what I did.
Then when i went back to work my father said, he wanted to talk to me on the evening about what had been going on, so we had a family meeting, and I rambled a bit, and then he said, i know whats wrong with you and all this depression, you're gay aren't you. Then he said to my sister, did you know and she said yes, and he said what do you think? and she said i don't care it doesn't matter, no body cares what you are these days. and there was crying and hugging and that was that!!
So if you openly do all the things you listed like glitter and Beyonce and have female friends who have never been your gf's and you hate football, etc and you love clothes and styling yourself, then they know! So don't worry.
Good luck
Thank you so much! I know that they wouldn't care so yeah thank you so much for this. When do you think I should do it? (like time of day) because I want to do it at the best possible time. Also how did you know I hated football ahah
Anonymous #1
Thats what I did.
Good luck
Thank you so much! I know that they wouldn't care so yeah thank you so much for this. When do you think I should do it? (like time of day) because I want to do it at the best possible time. Also how did you know I hated football ahah also I do have a sister and I've nearly told her soooo many times lol
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hide in a closet. Call your parents and when they come in the room, jump out the closet. Boom, solve the riddle.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OR321)
Hide in a closet. Call your parents and when they come in the room, jump out the closet. Boom, solve the riddle.
Wow actually genius
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
tell your sister first and go from there, let her decide the best time as she knows your family routine.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
but like i said they already know! how old are you? never had a gf, just female friends. not many male friends. hate football and sports, watch things like love island , the kardashians, love beyonce, like we had Madonna and KYLIE!!!
what other gay-type things do you do or own, etc? you said you're a bit camp, describe....
are you asian?
Anonymous #1
So yeah I'm very young (nearly 15) and a lot of these things I kind of keep private from my parents but they know that I love dressing up in very camp clothes and drag and stuff. I don't own many camp things but my sister has lots of clothes my size that, if worn by a boy, do look very camp and I love wearing them like all the time😂. Also no I'm not asian
Anonymous #1
tell your sister first and go from there, let her decide the best time as she knows your family routine.
Yeah that's a good idea thanks
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So first of all I'm gay. I've known for certain for around a year-ish now although I've known I'm not straight for a looong time now. I have really 3 really close friends who I'm super comfortable around and I told them about a week after I knew for certain myself, which I know for a lot of people is very hard. After that, I started telling more and more people and now around 15 people know and they were all very supportive.
Ok, now on to my family. They're not homophobic or anything so in that regards I am very lucky. I mean my dad does fairly regularly make comments about gay people and stuff that is quite offensive and not being very equal but not homophobic.I hardly ever speak to my parents about anything anymore and I kind of keep myself to myself with them. I'm fairly certain they already know as I am quite camp I suppose? Aka I love RuPaul, Beyonce, makeup, glitter and all that shizzle but idk it's just kind of awkward as I would never normally say anything like this to them at all.
I know that when I tell them I'll be completly safe but can anyone suggest the best way to do it? Thanks
"Mum, Dad, I'm gay."

That being said, what's drag queens and glitter got to do with it. I know more straight guys who like those things than gay guys.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Attached files
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OR321)
Surprise!
ImAGiraffe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well you can always do what I did and come home with a girlfriend, when I said I was with her my mum was just like oh cool. I would assume come home with a boyfriend in your case and if they ask who he is just say “oh this is {Insert Name}, he’s my boyfriend”.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tootles)
"Mum, Dad, I'm gay."

That being said, what's drag queens and glitter got to do with it. I know more straight guys who like those things than gay guys.
Oh yeah I fully know that drag and glitter is paramount to gay but it's very stereotypical sooo
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ImAGiraffe)
Well you can always do what I did and come home with a girlfriend, when I said I was with her my mum was just like oh cool. I would assume come home with a boyfriend in your case and if they ask who he is just say “oh this is {Insert Name}, he’s my boyfriend”.
1 problem, I have no boyfriend😭 although there this one guy...
ImAGiraffe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1 problem, I have no boyfriend😭 although there this one guy...
Ooo, I trust in your ability to fix that😉
I know it can feel like an itch to hold it in, but maybe wait until you’re in a relationship to do so if you’re comfortable to do that. If not though I guess it would be easier to just be blunt, that’s just what I would do though but I don’t know your family dynamic. Good luck with this fam, just remember you’re still their child and even my Granda (a very closed minded conservative old man) got over his daughter being a lesbian and now regrets arguing with her.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ImAGiraffe)
Ooo, I trust in your ability to fix that😉
I know it can feel like an itch to hold it in, but maybe wait until you’re in a relationship to do so if you’re comfortable to do that. If not though I guess it would be easier to just be blunt, that’s just what I would do though but I don’t know your family dynamic. Good luck with this fam, just remember you’re still their child and even my Granda (a very closed minded conservative old man) got over his daughter being a lesbian and now regrets arguing with her.
teehee yeah like I'm pretty sure they'de be fine with it and literally nobody in my close family is against it so yeah it should be fine all in all
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hey OP
where are you in UK?
PM if you don't wanna say on here
Have you actually been with a lad yet? (or a girl)
what's your ethnicity?
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh yeah I fully know that drag and glitter is paramount to gay but it's very stereotypical sooo
So what?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
5.9%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (186)
57.76%
No (117)
36.34%

Watched Threads