elsaruus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a few concerns and I just thought I'd post them on tsr, so here goes:

1. I dont have any work experience related to history on my personal statement, and I talk pretty much about why I love history, linking this to books I've read.

2. I've done the section 1 of the HAA test (for Cambridge), and my score has been below the average of a successful applicant. I come from a state school, so we don't get as much prep as the private school kids. Would this hinder my application?

My predicted grades are A* A* A*, and I got 9999888886 at GCSE, so I'm ok there. Taking my grades into account, could the above factors affect my application for Cambridge history?

Thanks!
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. literally completely normal and fine - work experience is not necessary or expected for history, your personal statement is meant to focus arouns what interests you about history, the books you have studied is ideal to include

2. as long as you arent significantly below average it's ok - with your gcses and predictions you are likely to get an interview unless you are in the bottom ~5-10% of all taking the HAA, remember cambridge interview over 70% of applicants, and a strong interview can make up for a slightly subpar assessment. as you say they will also be aware of your school type. it is definitely still worth applying
storyy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by elsaruus)
2. I've done the section 1 of the HAA test (for Cambridge), and my score has been below the average of a successful applicant. I come from a state school, so we don't get as much prep as the private school kids. Would this hinder my application?
Hey, I also come from a state school and have had NO prep. How do you know what the average score of a successful applicant it? Also can anyone recommend multiple choice practice once I've done all the papers available online? Best of luck to you!
ali99x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing the HAA on Wednesday, does anyone know of any model essays or examples for section 2?
LVSDH
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Realistically I don’t think you should be looking at your gcses at all as Cambridge won’t really care about it. Theyll only look at where you came in your year interms of gcses and that’s it. You won’t be advantaged because of good results.
storyy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ali99x)
Doing the HAA on Wednesday, does anyone know of any model essays or examples for section 2?
Literally no! If you find any can you let me know please!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (132)
43.28%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
14.75%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (122)
40%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
1.97%

Watched Threads