Unsure of what university degree course to choose Watch

Fernsy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
At the moment I'm in year 13 studying Economics, Politics, Btec level 3 in ICT and I'm also doing a diploma in finance.

I'm still unsure what degree course to go with I was thinking economics but most universities ask for maths a level which I don't do or a 7 in Maths, but I only got a 6 in maths so I'm struggling with making a decision.
Last edited by Fernsy; 1 week ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fernsy)
At the moment I'm in year 13 studying Economics, Politics, Btec level 3 in ICT and I'm also doing a diploma in finance.

I'm still unsure what degree course to go with I was thinking economics but most universities ask for maths a level which I don't do or a 7 in Maths, but I only got a 6 in maths so I'm struggling with making a decision.
Pure economics tends to be quite maths heavy, so might not be for you. What about looking for a joint honours which is a bit less maths heavy, e.g. with politics, for example?
Daenni193
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have your heart set on economics? If you're willing to, universities do foundation courses that you can take if you don't have the relevant A Level subjects for the degree you want. Those last 1 year from what I've seen.

If you're fine with doing another degree, then Politics, Finance, Business, and ICT, are probably all options for you. As far as I know Law degrees don't require an A Level (which is very random and you may not be interested in it, but it's just to show you there are a few degrees out there that have broad or no specific subject requirements).

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Is Economics the degree you want? Do you want a degree that'll get you a high-paying job? Or do you have a specific job/career you want in the future?
Fernsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Pure economics tends to be quite maths heavy, so might not be for you. What about looking for a joint honours which is a bit less maths heavy, e.g. with politics, for example?
(Original post by Daenni193)
Do you have your heart set on economics? If you're willing to, universities do foundation courses that you can take if you don't have the relevant A Level subjects for the degree you want. Those last 1 year from what I've seen.

If you're fine with doing another degree, then Politics, Finance, Business, and ICT, are probably all options for you. As far as I know Law degrees don't require an A Level (which is very random and you may not be interested in it, but it's just to show you there are a few degrees out there that have broad or no specific subject requirements).

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Is Economics the degree you want? Do you want a degree that'll get you a high-paying job? Or do you have a specific job/career you want in the future?
I'm not really sure what I'm interested in my GCSEs were pretty much all consistent. I have looked at some joint honours, but the Russell Group Universities still require you to have a 7 in Maths. I don't want to just apply for Russell Group uni's but I wanted to apply to some. I want a high-paying job that's like one of the only things motivating me because I am interested in my subjects, but I don't know if I'm that interested in them because at times I do find them boring and I have this fear that I'll choose a course and become bored of it or won't enjoy studying and revising it. Maybe a course that has an element of creativity I'm not sure. I don't feel like my heart is really set on Economics I just feel like it's my "go-to" because it's a degree course that has the highest earning potential and it is a good degree to choose, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it and I don't hate maths, but I don't love it either and economics and maths apparently go hand in hand so.
Last edited by Fernsy; 1 week ago
Daenni193
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not really sure what I'm interested in my GCSEs were pretty much all consistent. I have looked at some joint honours, but the Russell Group Universities still require you to have a 7 in Maths. I don't want to just apply for Russell Group uni's but I wanted to apply to some. I want a high-paying job that's like one of the only things motivating me because I am interested in my subjects, but I don't know if I'm that interested in them because at times I do find them boring and I have this fear that I'll choose a course and become bored of it or won't enjoy studying and revising it. Maybe a course that has an element of creativity I'm not sure. I don't feel like my heart is really set on Economics I just feel like it's my "go-to" because it's a degree course that has the highest earning potential and it is a good degree to choose, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it and I don't hate maths, but I don't love it either and economics and maths apparently go hand in hand so.
Yeah, I was the same in that I wanted to earn a good salary but I'm terrible at STEM subjects so I just thought I'd do Law. But I'm not actually that interested in Law - especially in a school/uni context. In the end I chose doing something interesting (to me) over something that'll get me into a high-paying job.

You've only just started year 13 so there's still time to research university courses that you can apply for that you may not have considered. Read about the contents of the courses, see if anything interests you etc. And like I mentioned before, universities do foundation courses so if you find something you want to do but don't have the relevant A Levels, hopefully you'll be lucky and find a uni that offers a foundation course for it. There's always options
Fernsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daenni193)
Yeah, I was the same in that I wanted to earn a good salary but I'm terrible at STEM subjects so I just thought I'd do Law. But I'm not actually that interested in Law - especially in a school/uni context. In the end I chose doing something interesting (to me) over something that'll get me into a high-paying job.

You've only just started year 13 so there's still time to research university courses that you can apply for that you may not have considered. Read about the contents of the courses, see if anything interests you etc. And like I mentioned before, universities do foundation courses so if you find something you want to do but don't have the relevant A Levels, hopefully you'll be lucky and find a uni that offers a foundation course for it. There's always options
That's the trouble too much options and too much choice
Daenni193
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's the trouble too much options and too much choice
I feel you. It's hard trying to figure out what you actually enjoy doing if it's a degree subject you've never studied before. And everything looks interesting but you can only do one degree. My other suggestion would be going to as many taster days and open evenings as you can to get a feel for things
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

What are your future career goals? This may help determine which course is best for you as there are many degrees you can do alongside Economics such as Business which can help broaden your future prospects too.

For context, our typical offer for our Business and Economic course is 112 points from a minimum of two A Levels or equivalent
We also require three passes at GCSE grade C or above, which must include Mathematics and English Language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.56%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (69)
56.56%
No (45)
36.89%

Watched Threads